Cannot update to 2021.10.0

I’m running HASS from a python env and i updated each time a new update came out however today i cannot update 2021.10.0.

i get this after running python3 -m pip install --upgrade homeassistant in the correct container:

error: can't find Rust compiler

If you are using an outdated pip version, it is possible a prebuilt wheel is available for this package but pip is not able to install from it. Installing from the wheel would avoid the need for a Rust compiler.

To update pip, run:

pip install --upgrade pip

and then retry package installation.

If you did intend to build this package from source, try installing a Rust compiler from your system package manager and ensure it is on the PATH during installation. Alternatively, rustup (available at https://rustup.rs) is the recommended way to download and update the Rust compiler toolchain.

This package requires Rust >=1.41.0.
  ----------------------------------------
  ERROR: Failed building wheel for cryptography
Failed to build cryptography
ERROR: Could not build wheels for cryptography which use PEP 517 and cannot be installed directly

i cannot update pip because HASS requires an old one. full log here

This is the relevant error, not pip.
You actually need rust since recent cryptography version, which I assume was bumped in this release.

Hello,

curl --proto ‘=https’ --tlsv1.2 -sSf https://sh.rustup.rs | sh

and also

sudo apt -y install rustc

work for me!!

3 Likes

Same issue here in venv.
Fixed it by installing the Rust compiler:

curl --proto '=https' --tlsv1.2 -sSf https://sh.rustup.rs | sh

Next try to upgrade HA again. Installing cryptography takes a while so don’t worry about that…

3 Likes

Thanks! The curl pipeline worked for me, but I found that when I ran it as root, it only installed it for the root user, so I had to run it as the homeassistant user to make it available to HA.

1 Like

… and a small wrinkle that confused me. That curl install step asks what you want to do, with:

1. Proceed with installation (default)
  2. Customize installation
  3. Cancel installation

I typed “1”, and pressed enter (without the quotes). Seems that doesn’t match any of the choices, it cancels the installation. I assume I should have put “1)”, but to proceed from there, can just press enter.

This resolved it for me.

seems maybe an add-in/plug-in that those of us who have this problem are using needs to have its dependencies updated.
(referring to: Home Assistant Core -- TrueNAS CORE Community Plugin - #482 by adorobis)
I don’t have time now to do anything more than this but maybe this helps for someone getting a more proper fix

It is enough to install rust with standard freebsd package manager: pkg install rust. All works ok afterwards.

On my old hassbian installation on my Raspberry PI4B I used:

sudo apt install rustc

This fixed my update to 2021.10.2 errors.

thanks guys, fixed it with sudo apt install rustc

1 Like

I also had the same issue. Then I did: sudo apt install rustc. That went well. Then I tried to update HA again, but got this:

Building wheels for collected packages: cryptography
  Building wheel for cryptography (PEP 517) ... error
  ERROR: Command errored out with exit status 1:
   command: /srv/homeassistant/bin/python3.8 /srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.8/site-packages/pip/_vendor/pep517/in_process/_in_process.py build_wheel /tmp/tmp3uwuzyl4
       cwd: /tmp/pip-install-gh906s55/cryptography_25d955d7317844eaafc2dd593c3a8cea
  Complete output (153 lines):
  running bdist_wheel
  running build
  running build_py
  creating build
  creating build/lib.linux-armv7l-3.8
  creating build/lib.linux-armv7l-3.8/cryptography
  copying src/cryptography/utils.py -> build/lib.linux-armv7l-3.8/cryptography
  copying src/cryptography/fernet.py -> build/lib.linux-armv7l-3.8/cryptography
  copying src/cryptography/__init__.py -> build/lib.linux-armv7l-3.8/cryptography
  copying src/cryptography/__about__.py -> build/lib.linux-armv7l-3.8/cryptography
  copying src/cryptography/exceptions.py -> build/lib.linux-armv7l-3.8/cryptography
  creating build/lib.linux-armv7l-3.8/cryptography/x509
  copying src/cryptography/x509/__init__.py -> build/lib.linux-armv7l-3.8/cryptography/x509
  copying src/cryptography/x509/oid.py -> build/lib.linux-armv7l-3.8/cryptography/x509
  copying src/cryptography/x509/ocsp.py -> build/lib.linux-armv7l-3.8/cryptography/x509
  copying src/cryptography/x509/base.py -> build/lib.linux-armv7l-3.8/cryptography/x509
  copying src/cryptography/x509/certificate_transparency.py -> build/lib.linux-armv7l-3.8/cryptography/x509
  copying src/cryptography/x509/extensions.py -> build/lib.linux-armv7l-3.8/cryptography/x509
  copying src/cryptography/x509/name.py -> build/lib.linux-armv7l-3.8/cryptography/x509
  copying src/cryptography/x509/general_name.py -> build/lib.linux-armv7l-3.8/cryptography/x509
  creating build/lib.linux-armv7l-3.8/cryptography/hazmat
  copying src/cryptography/hazmat/_oid.py -> build/lib.linux-armv7l-3.8/cryptography/hazmat
  copying src/cryptography/hazmat/__init__.py -> build/lib.linux-armv7l-3.8/cryptography/hazmat
  copying src/cryptography/hazmat/_der.py -> build/lib.linux-armv7l-3.8/cryptography/hazmat
  copying src/cryptography/hazmat/_types.py -> build/lib.linux-armv7l-3.8/cryptography/hazmat
  creating build/lib.linux-armv7l-3.8/cryptography/hazmat/bindings
  copying src/cryptography/hazmat/bindings/__init__.py -> build/lib.linux-armv7l-3.8/cryptography/hazmat/bindings
  creating build/lib.linux-armv7l-3.8/cryptography/hazmat/primitives
  copying src/cryptography/hazmat/primitives/_cipheralgorithm.py -> build/lib.linux-armv7l-3.8/cryptography/hazmat/primitives
  copying src/cryptography/hazmat/primitives/cmac.py -> build/lib.linux-armv7l-3.8/cryptography/hazmat/primitives
  copying src/cryptography/hazmat/primitives/_serialization.py -> build/lib.linux-armv7l-3.8/cryptography/hazmat/primitives
  copying src/cryptography/hazmat/primitives/constant_time.py -> build/lib.linux-armv7l-3.8/cryptography/hazmat/primitives
  copying src/cryptography/hazmat/primitives/__init__.py -> build/lib.linux-armv7l-3.8/cryptography/hazmat/primitives
  copying src/cryptography/hazmat/primitives/keywrap.py -> build/lib.linux-armv7l-3.8/cryptography/hazmat/primitives
  copying src/cryptography/hazmat/primitives/padding.py -> build/lib.linux-armv7l-3.8/cryptography/hazmat/primitives
  copying src/cryptography/hazmat/primitives/poly1305.py -> build/lib.linux-armv7l-3.8/cryptography/hazmat/primitives
  copying src/cryptography/hazmat/primitives/hmac.py -> build/lib.linux-armv7l-3.8/cryptography/hazmat/primitives
  copying src/cryptography/hazmat/primitives/hashes.py -> build/lib.linux-armv7l-3.8/cryptography/hazmat/primitives
  copying src/cryptography/hazmat/primitives/_asymmetric.py -> build/lib.linux-armv7l-3.8/cryptography/hazmat/primitives
  creating build/lib.linux-armv7l-3.8/cryptography/hazmat/backends
  copying src/cryptography/hazmat/backends/__init__.py -> build/lib.linux-armv7l-3.8/cryptography/hazmat/backends
  copying src/cryptography/hazmat/backends/interfaces.py -> build/lib.linux-armv7l-3.8/cryptography/hazmat/backends
  creating build/lib.linux-armv7l-3.8/cryptography/hazmat/bindings/openssl
  copying src/cryptography/hazmat/bindings/openssl/__init__.py -> build/lib.linux-armv7l-3.8/cryptography/hazmat/bindings/openssl
  copying src/cryptography/hazmat/bindings/openssl/binding.py -> build/lib.linux-armv7l-3.8/cryptography/hazmat/bindings/openssl
  copying src/cryptography/hazmat/bindings/openssl/_conditional.py -> build/lib.linux-armv7l-3.8/cryptography/hazmat/bindings/openssl
  creating build/lib.linux-armv7l-3.8/cryptography/hazmat/primitives/twofactor
  copying src/cryptography/hazmat/primitives/twofactor/totp.py -> build/lib.linux-armv7l-3.8/cryptography/hazmat/primitives/twofactor
  copying src/cryptography/hazmat/primitives/twofactor/hotp.py -> build/lib.linux-armv7l-3.8/cryptography/hazmat/primitives/twofactor
  copying src/cryptography/hazmat/primitives/twofactor/utils.py -> build/lib.linux-armv7l-3.8/cryptography/hazmat/primitives/twofactor
  copying src/cryptography/hazmat/primitives/twofactor/__init__.py -> build/lib.linux-armv7l-3.8/cryptography/hazmat/primitives/twofactor
  creating build/lib.linux-armv7l-3.8/cryptography/hazmat/primitives/serialization
  copying src/cryptography/hazmat/primitives/serialization/pkcs7.py -> build/lib.linux-armv7l-3.8/cryptography/hazmat/primitives/serialization
  copying src/cryptography/hazmat/primitives/serialization/__init__.py -> build/lib.linux-armv7l-3.8/cryptography/hazmat/primitives/serialization
  copying src/cryptography/hazmat/primitives/serialization/base.py -> build/lib.linux-armv7l-3.8/cryptography/hazmat/primitives/serialization
  copying src/cryptography/hazmat/primitives/serialization/pkcs12.py -> build/lib.linux-armv7l-3.8/cryptography/hazmat/primitives/serialization
  copying src/cryptography/hazmat/primitives/serialization/ssh.py -> build/lib.linux-armv7l-3.8/cryptography/hazmat/primitives/serialization
  creating build/lib.linux-armv7l-3.8/cryptography/hazmat/primitives/asymmetric
  copying src/cryptography/hazmat/primitives/asymmetric/rsa.py -> build/lib.linux-armv7l-3.8/cryptography/hazmat/primitives/asymmetric
  copying src/cryptography/hazmat/primitives/asymmetric/dsa.py -> build/lib.linux-armv7l-3.8/cryptography/hazmat/primitives/asymmetric
  copying src/cryptography/hazmat/primitives/asymmetric/x448.py -> build/lib.linux-armv7l-3.8/cryptography/hazmat/primitives/asymmetric
  copying src/cryptography/hazmat/primitives/asymmetric/utils.py -> build/lib.linux-armv7l-3.8/cryptography/hazmat/primitives/asymmetric
  copying src/cryptography/hazmat/primitives/asymmetric/ec.py -> build/lib.linux-armv7l-3.8/cryptography/hazmat/primitives/asymmetric
  copying src/cryptography/hazmat/primitives/asymmetric/__init__.py -> build/lib.linux-armv7l-3.8/cryptography/hazmat/primitives/asymmetric
  copying src/cryptography/hazmat/primitives/asymmetric/ed448.py -> build/lib.linux-armv7l-3.8/cryptography/hazmat/primitives/asymmetric
  copying src/cryptography/hazmat/primitives/asymmetric/ed25519.py -> build/lib.linux-armv7l-3.8/cryptography/hazmat/primitives/asymmetric
  copying src/cryptography/hazmat/primitives/asymmetric/padding.py -> build/lib.linux-armv7l-3.8/cryptography/hazmat/primitives/asymmetric
  copying src/cryptography/hazmat/primitives/asymmetric/dh.py -> build/lib.linux-armv7l-3.8/cryptography/hazmat/primitives/asymmetric
  copying src/cryptography/hazmat/primitives/asymmetric/x25519.py -> build/lib.linux-armv7l-3.8/cryptography/hazmat/primitives/asymmetric
  creating build/lib.linux-armv7l-3.8/cryptography/hazmat/primitives/ciphers
  copying src/cryptography/hazmat/primitives/ciphers/aead.py -> build/lib.linux-armv7l-3.8/cryptography/hazmat/primitives/ciphers
  copying src/cryptography/hazmat/primitives/ciphers/algorithms.py -> build/lib.linux-armv7l-3.8/cryptography/hazmat/primitives/ciphers
  copying src/cryptography/hazmat/primitives/ciphers/__init__.py -> build/lib.linux-armv7l-3.8/cryptography/hazmat/primitives/ciphers
  copying src/cryptography/hazmat/primitives/ciphers/modes.py -> build/lib.linux-armv7l-3.8/cryptography/hazmat/primitives/ciphers
  copying src/cryptography/hazmat/primitives/ciphers/base.py -> build/lib.linux-armv7l-3.8/cryptography/hazmat/primitives/ciphers
  creating build/lib.linux-armv7l-3.8/cryptography/hazmat/primitives/kdf
  copying src/cryptography/hazmat/primitives/kdf/hkdf.py -> build/lib.linux-armv7l-3.8/cryptography/hazmat/primitives/kdf
  copying src/cryptography/hazmat/primitives/kdf/pbkdf2.py -> build/lib.linux-armv7l-3.8/cryptography/hazmat/primitives/kdf
  copying src/cryptography/hazmat/primitives/kdf/concatkdf.py -> build/lib.linux-armv7l-3.8/cryptography/hazmat/primitives/kdf
  copying src/cryptography/hazmat/primitives/kdf/x963kdf.py -> build/lib.linux-armv7l-3.8/cryptography/hazmat/primitives/kdf
  copying src/cryptography/hazmat/primitives/kdf/__init__.py -> build/lib.linux-armv7l-3.8/cryptography/hazmat/primitives/kdf
  copying src/cryptography/hazmat/primitives/kdf/scrypt.py -> build/lib.linux-armv7l-3.8/cryptography/hazmat/primitives/kdf
  copying src/cryptography/hazmat/primitives/kdf/kbkdf.py -> build/lib.linux-armv7l-3.8/cryptography/hazmat/primitives/kdf
  creating build/lib.linux-armv7l-3.8/cryptography/hazmat/backends/openssl
  copying src/cryptography/hazmat/backends/openssl/aead.py -> build/lib.linux-armv7l-3.8/cryptography/hazmat/backends/openssl
  copying src/cryptography/hazmat/backends/openssl/rsa.py -> build/lib.linux-armv7l-3.8/cryptography/hazmat/backends/openssl
  copying src/cryptography/hazmat/backends/openssl/x509.py -> build/lib.linux-armv7l-3.8/cryptography/hazmat/backends/openssl
  copying src/cryptography/hazmat/backends/openssl/decode_asn1.py -> build/lib.linux-armv7l-3.8/cryptography/hazmat/backends/openssl
  copying src/cryptography/hazmat/backends/openssl/cmac.py -> build/lib.linux-armv7l-3.8/cryptography/hazmat/backends/openssl
  copying src/cryptography/hazmat/backends/openssl/dsa.py -> build/lib.linux-armv7l-3.8/cryptography/hazmat/backends/openssl
  copying src/cryptography/hazmat/backends/openssl/x448.py -> build/lib.linux-armv7l-3.8/cryptography/hazmat/backends/openssl
  copying src/cryptography/hazmat/backends/openssl/utils.py -> build/lib.linux-armv7l-3.8/cryptography/hazmat/backends/openssl
  copying src/cryptography/hazmat/backends/openssl/ec.py -> build/lib.linux-armv7l-3.8/cryptography/hazmat/backends/openssl
  copying src/cryptography/hazmat/backends/openssl/__init__.py -> build/lib.linux-armv7l-3.8/cryptography/hazmat/backends/openssl
  copying src/cryptography/hazmat/backends/openssl/ed448.py -> build/lib.linux-armv7l-3.8/cryptography/hazmat/backends/openssl
  copying src/cryptography/hazmat/backends/openssl/ed25519.py -> build/lib.linux-armv7l-3.8/cryptography/hazmat/backends/openssl
  copying src/cryptography/hazmat/backends/openssl/ciphers.py -> build/lib.linux-armv7l-3.8/cryptography/hazmat/backends/openssl
  copying src/cryptography/hazmat/backends/openssl/backend.py -> build/lib.linux-armv7l-3.8/cryptography/hazmat/backends/openssl
  copying src/cryptography/hazmat/backends/openssl/poly1305.py -> build/lib.linux-armv7l-3.8/cryptography/hazmat/backends/openssl
  copying src/cryptography/hazmat/backends/openssl/dh.py -> build/lib.linux-armv7l-3.8/cryptography/hazmat/backends/openssl
  copying src/cryptography/hazmat/backends/openssl/ocsp.py -> build/lib.linux-armv7l-3.8/cryptography/hazmat/backends/openssl
  copying src/cryptography/hazmat/backends/openssl/x25519.py -> build/lib.linux-armv7l-3.8/cryptography/hazmat/backends/openssl
  copying src/cryptography/hazmat/backends/openssl/hmac.py -> build/lib.linux-armv7l-3.8/cryptography/hazmat/backends/openssl
  copying src/cryptography/hazmat/backends/openssl/hashes.py -> build/lib.linux-armv7l-3.8/cryptography/hazmat/backends/openssl
  copying src/cryptography/hazmat/backends/openssl/encode_asn1.py -> build/lib.linux-armv7l-3.8/cryptography/hazmat/backends/openssl
  running egg_info
  writing src/cryptography.egg-info/PKG-INFO
  writing dependency_links to src/cryptography.egg-info/dependency_links.txt
  writing requirements to src/cryptography.egg-info/requires.txt
  writing top-level names to src/cryptography.egg-info/top_level.txt
  reading manifest file 'src/cryptography.egg-info/SOURCES.txt'
  reading manifest template 'MANIFEST.in'
  no previously-included directories found matching 'docs/_build'
  warning: no previously-included files found matching 'vectors'
  warning: no previously-included files matching '*' found under directory 'vectors'
  warning: no previously-included files matching '*' found under directory '.github'
  warning: no previously-included files found matching 'release.py'
  warning: no previously-included files found matching '.coveragerc'
  warning: no previously-included files found matching 'codecov.yml'
  warning: no previously-included files found matching '.readthedocs.yml'
  warning: no previously-included files found matching 'dev-requirements.txt'
  warning: no previously-included files found matching 'tox.ini'
  warning: no previously-included files found matching 'mypy.ini'
  warning: no previously-included files matching '*' found under directory '.zuul.d'
  warning: no previously-included files matching '*' found under directory '.zuul.playbooks'
  adding license file 'LICENSE'
  adding license file 'LICENSE.APACHE'
  adding license file 'LICENSE.BSD'
  adding license file 'LICENSE.PSF'
  writing manifest file 'src/cryptography.egg-info/SOURCES.txt'
  copying src/cryptography/py.typed -> build/lib.linux-armv7l-3.8/cryptography
  running build_ext
  generating cffi module 'build/temp.linux-armv7l-3.8/_padding.c'
  creating build/temp.linux-armv7l-3.8
  generating cffi module 'build/temp.linux-armv7l-3.8/_openssl.c'
  running build_rust

=============================DEBUG ASSISTANCE=============================
      If you are seeing a compilation error please try the following steps to
      successfully install cryptography:
      1) Upgrade to the latest pip and try again. This will fix errors for most
         users. See: https://pip.pypa.io/en/stable/installing/#upgrading-pip
      2) Read https://cryptography.io/en/latest/installation.html for specific
         instructions for your platform.
      3) Check our frequently asked questions for more information:
         https://cryptography.io/en/latest/faq.html
      4) Ensure you have a recent Rust toolchain installed:
         https://cryptography.io/en/latest/installation.html#rust
      5) If you are experiencing issues with Rust for *this release only* you may
         set the environment variable `CRYPTOGRAPHY_DONT_BUILD_RUST=1`.
      =============================DEBUG ASSISTANCE=============================

error: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'cargo'
  ----------------------------------------
  ERROR: Failed building wheel for cryptography
Failed to build cryptography
ERROR: Could not build wheels for cryptography which use PEP 517 and cannot be installed directly
WARNING: Ignoring invalid distribution -ip (/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.8/site-packages)
WARNING: Ignoring invalid distribution -ip (/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.8/site-packages)

So what can I do now?

I did this first:

export CRYPTOGRAPHY_DONT_BUILD_RUST=1

then did the upgrade and it worked.

11 Likes

Thank you @wciinet, setting that global variable was the only thing that got my update to complete.

How do I do this in a venv? It’s asking for a password for the user “homeassistant”.

I am having the same problem. I changed the password but still asking for a password.

Worked for me thanks for the help.

you should install homeassistant as user pi instead of a new homeassistant user. i really don’t understand why the official guide advice for creating extra headaches for users. makes it a hell to edit the config yaml or do anything really if you’re not the default user

I am using HA in venv. Since a few weeks I got the error failed building wheel for cryptography homeassistant error when I trying to update.
I changed with sudo -u homeassistant -H -s to the homeassistant user and then set the variable
export CRYPTOGRAPHY_DONT_BUILD_RUST=1
Update worked!
Many, many thanks to @wciinet !!

After I already had some other cryptography problems while upgrading to HA 2022.10, I came up with the problem described here while upgrading to 2022.11.1 .

@kimme1024’s command was the way to go as the rustc-versions in the official Raspbian buster repositories don’t contain the required version.

What I want to add to this thread as Radu and dantist only scratch on the surface is that the routine mentioned above only installs rustc in the current user (see some more info about that here). So when you run HA with its own user, your HA upgrade will still fail when you installed rustc while being logged in e.g. as the pi-user. So I ended up executing the rustc-install with the homeassistant-user. Took me a while to realize that, maybe I can speed up someones others upgrade with this hint :wink:

2 Likes