Can't access HassOS gui after update

Hi there, I can’t access the HassOS gui (ie http://homeassistant.local:8123) after updating to the latest HassOS version. I have no access via a browser or via the iOS app. I get the error messages (on my desktop browser): “hassio.local refused to connect” or “hassio.local didn’t send any data”.

I do think it is running (at least partially) because I have the Homekit integration (so I can see all my Hass devices in the iOS Home app) and the devices I’ve checked seem to be functioning (ie I can turn home assistant’s lights and outlets on and off from my iOS Home app).

Any ideas what could be wrong? (I’m not super technical but I’ll give anything a shot if you can explain it in layman terms :smile: )

Cheers!

ps I have tried restarting my Raspberry Pi but that didn’t make a difference.

Do you have access via SSH set up?

Can you also try clearing your browser’s local cache? Just for the local site… I’ve noticed after clearing the cache you can solve most of these issues…

I always sort largest date descending, it’s mostly up there…

1 Like

Good idea, the fact that access is unavailable through the app and a browser leads me to believe it might be something more serious though.

I tried clearing the cache but that made no difference (thanks anyway @kurtj).

@tom_l I did have SSH set up (I’m 99% sure) but am now getting a “connection refused” error message when I try and connect via Terminal.

Can you connect a keyboard and monitor directly to the pi?

I should be able to. What should I look for?

You will be presented with a command prompt. The first thing to check is the core and supervisor logs:

Actually, I don’t think I had/have SSH set up. Is it an add-on? I still have a screen open from before everything went pear-shaped and the only add-ons I have are Duck DNS and File editor.

Ok - will check those two things - might take a little time

If you still have a connected screen use that to check the logs.

Configuration / Logs

With the screen attached I’m presented with “homeassistant login:” but it doesn’t seem to accept the login details I use for the app or for the gui. Are there different login credentials from the command prompt?

Sorry, I should clarify: I have an old window/tab in my browser still showing the information of add-ons I’ve installed. But it’s not actively connected (it just hadn’t been refreshed). The previous post means “with the monitor attached…”. So, I now have a monitor and keyboard attached and am trying to log in through the command line.

This is the base OS. Log in as root, no password.

Okay - should I just print the logs out here?

Hi @tom_l, I checked both logs. I can’t print them out here but I’ll retype the warnings (orange lines).

Core logs:
-[homeassistant.setup] Setup of input boolean is taking over 10 seconds
-[homeassistant.setup] Setup of ffmpeg is taking over 10 seconds
-[homeassistant.setup] Setup of zone is taking over 10 seconds
-[homeassistant.setup] Setup of input_select is taking over 10 seconds
-[homeassistant.setup] Setup of input_text is taking over 10 seconds
-(zeroconf-Engine-240) [zeroconf] Error sending through socket 10*

*This last one came through 5 hours later (the others were just after boot) so I’m not sure it’s related to my access issues.

Supervisor logs: Had no orange lines - all green.

I also ran the various supervisor and core repairs, rebuilds, and updates - nothing made any difference but one thing I did notice was that the IP address listed under both core and supervisor is 172.30.32.1 - that’s not part of my local network. IP should be something like 10.X.X.X

ps Sorry about the delay - I need this monitor for work too.

That’s the IP range the Docker containers use to chat amongst themselves.

Ok, so seeing that as the IP is fine. Thanks.

Any thoughts on those notes in the core log, do they help diagnose what’s wrong? I’m wondering if I should just start from scratch and restore from a snapshot.

Unfortunately no. They’re more symptoms than cause.

I reckon restoring from snapshot is your quickest solution.

Okay, I’m busy restoring now. It’s not a recent snapshot so that’s not ideal but far better than no system!

Thanks for all your help.