Can't add a node to Aeotec z-wave

I am new to Home Assistant and am trying to set up a z-wave network. I have installed hassio (on a Raspberry Pi) and followed the z-wave instructions in the documentation, but am unable to add a node to the z-wave network.

When I click the Add Node button under Configuration/z-wave, I get
“Failed to call service zwave/add_node. Service Not Found.”

Can anyone suggest a solution to this problem?

Here is my log file:
2019-03-23 12:09:51.810 Always, OpenZwave Version 1.4.3322 Starting Up
2019-03-23 12:09:57.785 Info, Setting Up Provided Network Key for Secure Communications
2019-03-23 12:09:57.786 Info, mgr, Added driver for controller /dev/ttyAMA0
2019-03-23 12:09:57.786 Info, Opening controller /dev/ttyAMA0
2019-03-23 12:09:57.786 Info, Trying to open serial port /dev/ttyAMA0 (attempt 1)
2019-03-23 12:09:57.786 Info, Serial port /dev/ttyAMA0 opened (attempt 1)
2019-03-23 12:09:57.786 Detail, contrlr, Queuing (Command) FUNC_ID_ZW_GET_VERSION: 0x01, 0x03, 0x00, 0x15, 0xe9
2019-03-23 12:09:57.786 Detail, contrlr, Queuing (Command) FUNC_ID_ZW_MEMORY_GET_ID: 0x01, 0x03, 0x00, 0x20, 0xdc
2019-03-23 12:09:57.786 Detail, contrlr, Queuing (Command) FUNC_ID_ZW_GET_CONTROLLER_CAPABILITIES: 0x01, 0x03, 0x00, 0x05, 0xf9
2019-03-23 12:09:57.786 Detail, contrlr, Queuing (Command) FUNC_ID_SERIAL_API_GET_CAPABILITIES: 0x01, 0x03, 0x00, 0x07, 0xfb
2019-03-23 12:09:57.786 Detail, contrlr, Queuing (Command) FUNC_ID_ZW_GET_SUC_NODE_ID: 0x01, 0x03, 0x00, 0x56, 0xaa
2019-03-23 12:09:57.787 Detail,
2019-03-23 12:09:57.787 Info, contrlr, Sending (Command) message (Callback ID=0x00, Expected Reply=0x15) - FUNC_ID_ZW_GET_VERSION: 0x01, 0x03, 0x00, 0x15, 0xe9
2019-03-23 12:09:57.787 Detail, contrlr, Notification: DriverFailed

What Z-Wave dongle are you using?

Look further in the same log for any “Received” log entries. If you didn’t see that, it means controller didn’t initialize.

Check if it is on “/dev/ttyAMA0”.

$> ls /dev/ttyA*

You should see: /dev/ttyAMA0

First try to see if the controller responded properly. Then you can proceed to setup other things.
Also, follow instructions for the z-wave controller to factory-reset and reboot. I ran into couple glitches with my Aeotec z-wave stick and that solved it.

Thanks for the quick replies.

The dongle is a Aeotec Z-Stick Gen5.

When I type

ls /dev/ttyA*

I see

/dev/ttyACM0
/dev/ttyAMA0

@Joedoe when you reset your Aeotec, did you remove it from the Raspberry and then press the reset button? Or did you somehow reset it through the HassIO software?

Change the device path to /dev/ttyACM0 in the integrations configuration menu.

I tried switching to ACM0, but I get the same error when I try to add a node:
“Failed to call service zwave/add_node. Service Not Found.”

I wonder if I have a bigger problem. When I look at the Integrations page for z-wave, the page is blank, except for the message: “This integration has no devices.”

That suggests that hassio is not seeing my Aeotec controller. The controller is doing the disco lights thing, so it seems to be working, or at least has power.

Is there any way to tell if hassio can communicate with it?

HassIO has a hardware tab in the main supervisor it’ll tell you if it sees it.

I forget exactly but, it is something with holding the button on the stick for some time to reset etc., lookup on aeotec website support.

try:

$> lsusb

You should see something like this:

Bus 00? Device 00?: ID 0658:0200 Sigma Designs, Inc. Aeotec Z-Stick Gen5 (ZW090) - UZB

Of course, your “Bus” and “Device” numbers could be different (hence the “?”).

@firstof9, I clicked the Hardware button and this is what was displayed:

* serial:
  * /dev/ttyAMA0
  * /dev/ttyACM0
* input:
* disk:
* gpio:
  * gpiochip0
  * gpiochip128
* audio:
  * 0:
    * name: bcm2835_alsa - bcm2835 ALSA
    * type: ALSA
    * devices:
      * [object Object]
      * [object Object]

I don’t see anything that looks like a z-wave device, but am not sure what I am looking for.

@Joedoe, when I type lsusb, I get

Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0424:2514
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0424:2514
Bus 001 Device 005: ID 0424:7800
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0658:0200

I don’t see any mention of the aeotec.

I don’t have experience with Rasberry Pi but and thought general linux commands might give same output… apparently not. So, I think this thread might help you: Persistant USB names

Try to go through it and run the commands listed to compare output.

Thanks for the link @Joedoe. Unfortunately these instructions seem to be beyond my limited linux skills. While I have ssh set up to the Raspberry Pi it’s apparently not the right kind of ssh and the commands don’t work for me.

Did you read this reply?: Persistant USB names
Don’t worry about the “persistent” name part. First make sure your HAS configuration has the right USB port. For that, you need to find the Z-wave stick and confirm its port. I hope that makes sense.

I really appreciate your efforts to help me. Further down in that thread there is this comment:

“You have to ssh to the hassio host OS, not the ssh addon. Refer to https://home-assistant.io/developers/hassio/debugging/ for instructions.”

I tried following those directions for setting up ssh to the host, but its a bit much for me with the public and private keys and all that.

Do you know if there is any simpler way to determine which port the z-wave controller is plugged into?

How did you run the commands I suggested before? I am assuming it is through terminal. If so, you already have access you need.
If not, Is it through Home Assistant? I really don’t know if that option is available on Raspberry Pi version of HASS…

Something to try: Unplug the zwave stick and run the commands you found so far. Plug it back in and run them again and notice any differences. That might help you narrow things down.

Some suggested reading: Raspberry Pi - USB

Video: Check the Vendor ID and Product ID of attached USB devices - Raspberry Pi

It would help you better if you get acquainted with hardware you are working with.

Google – The question you are asking is probably asked many times on different forums.

Not having any Raspberry Pi experience, it is very difficult for me to help you better other than keep pointing to sources online.

I used the HassIO add-in store to install the ssh add in. Then, through the terminal, I ssh into the Raspberry. For some reason, this form of ssh provides very limited access to the Pi. To get fuller access, I need to set up that other ssh, described here: https://developers.home-assistant.io/docs/en/hassio_debugging.html

I am wondering if I might be better off Hassbian rather than Hass.io. As I understand it, hass.io shields the user from the operating system, preventing easy access to many things. Whereas with hassbian, I think there is full access to all the linux stuff.

IMHO, hardware based solution (i.e. Raspberry Pi etc.) is great but it will start to show limitations (i.e. CPU power etc.,) when you start stacking other things on like Node-Red, Mqtt, Grafana and other packages, camera streaming and so forth.

Again, this is an opinion I have after reading posts of some users switching out of RPi.

which-home-assistant-install-is-right

If your setup is small and not so demanding, it might be easy to get started but, if you search a bit, you’ll find some docker examples of Home Assistant with complete stack of above mentioned software and it is super easy to get started, and update etc. I have very few devices now but, in future, that might change and adding in automations etc., I suspect RPi won’t be able to handle. So, I never bothered to begin with.

Having said that (without actual experience of RPi), I am pretty sure there are many (if not, the majority) very happy members here running it on RPi. So, its your call. :slight_smile:

FYI, literally just now, I learned the difference between Hassbian and HASSIO. :rofl:
I run HASS in Docker on a dedicated Linux instance.

Did you ever get this to work in hassio?

Currently I am plugging the Aeotec in to a USB 2.0 hub, it is recognized and found in ssh on - /dev/ttyAMA0.

However I get the same logfile as the one you posted in the beginning of this thread.

You’ll need to provide more info for proper assistance.

Are you running HassOS?
or
Are you running HassIO in Docker on Deb/Cent/etc?

Apologies!

I’m running Hassio on a raspberry pi 4.