Can't connect to homeassistant:8123

Connecting a server via wifi is not a good idea. It’ll work, but it’s not optimal.

Does your router have wifi clients list?

My bad, I didn’t realise that was an acceptable url. Seems strange you can’t find the ip with Fing. That suggests your Pi is on a different network to your phone. Might be worth connecting directly to the router with ethernet and then trying to find on your router again. If your router supports it, you could fix that ip and make a note of it for future reference. Might be worth considering the DuckDNS add-on as well, once you get it sorted :+1:

Not sure, I’ve just been checking the router activity via Fing and it shows every device but the Pi.

I tried connecting the Pi with an ethernet cable and it made no difference in being able to connect wirelessly.

Got a spare keyboard and monitor you can plug in?

Hit the enter key to interrupt the dmesg log. Sign in as “root”. There is no password. You will then be at a CLI where you can look at logs, restart safely, and even fix network settings.

So I plugged the pi directly into my router and was able to see it on the network and see its ip address. However, i still can’t connect to it. This makes me think the wireless capability of the pi might be broken?

Is there anything else you’d recommend before replacing the pi?

Using the attached keyboard and monitor you can set up the wifi using nmcil.

You can ignore all the SSH connection instructions and work directly from the CLI on the monitor.

Really though wifi is a poor connection method for a server and you should be using a cabled connection.

2 Likes

Unfortunately I don’t have a spare monitor or keyboard and ethernet isn’t really a permanent option. What’s most confusing is that it has been working perfectly for a number of months and has only recently stopped connecting. Could there be an issue with the router?

I’ve now tried another pi and i cant connect to that either, so that rules out the pi as the issue.

So I’m able to connect to the Pi briefly after rebooting it but then shortly after I can no longer connect. Does this narrow down the issue at all? I’m still confused as ever about this.

1 Like

Hi, I’m facing the same problem, but i have a Pi 4B, did you find a solution?
If u did please mention it cuz i was searching for a solution for 2 days and couldn’t find anything.

Thank You

Hi there, I am having the same issues with a Pi 4B. I can see it on the network, but can’t connect to the web service. Were you able to solve your issues?

FYI, I believe this was a problem with the balenaEtcher. I downloaded and used the official Raspberry Pi Imager. And was able to get it running right away.

I did have the use http://ipaddress:8123

Hi there, I also have the same issue

I can’t connect with - http://homeassistant.local:8123/
but it works with - http://192.168.178.19:8123/

The funny thing is that I’m not directly connected with my router but via a wifi booster power plug because I was connecting to it from the first floor.

When I went downstairs and was connected to the wifi of my router, using the first link did work. Does this have to with some kind of DNS setting?

1 Like

Did you end up figuring this out? I’m having a similar issue; I can connect to homeassistant.local with my hardwired pc, but not over WiFi on my phone. Only my local IP works on my phone.

2 Likes

I’m having the same problem. Was running fine, ran the update then it disconnected and I can’t access it now. Tried local:8123 and IP:8123

I’m having the same issue with my new install. I can ping homeassist.local, and everything is working fine. However, I can’t get connected to the server on port 8123 through my browser. That tells me the network connection is OK, but perhaps the server is not?

I ended up connecting both my computer and the Pi via ethernet to the router, i could then connect for a period of time where I initiated all the software updates and this fixed it. Still not 100% sure what the issue was, occasionally i get the same issue and a software update fixes it.

1 Like

I got my server up and going. Since this was my first install, I just wiped the disk image and started fresh. I think I broke something by not shutting down properly.

I moved home so changed also internet provider. I have another router now. I connected rasberry thorugh ethernet cable and got the ip in the rounter which is 192.168.0.38/24.

Then I tried with the ip 192.168.0.38:8123 from a computer which was also connected in the same network with the cable. It says that is not available.

I have duckdns configured, donno if I need to deactivate this:

#Uncomment this if you are using SSL/TLS, running in Docker container, etc.
http:
    base_url: xxxx.duckdns.org added:8123
    ssl_certificate: /ssl/fullchain.pem
    ssl_key: /ssl/privkey.pem

Hello,
I have an issue to connect to HA.
it is installed on a mini PC (VM) which is connected to network via WiFi extender.
It’s having an assigned ip in the router.
I can connect from a tablet but not from my phone.
My phone has as well installed the app which is connected to another HA installed on synology.
Before switching to mini PC I wanted to try the version installed on it (supervised version with add-ons).

Try this:

Disconnect all the wired devices from your router.
Only the Raspberry Pi should be connected, then try to access again.