Can't connect to homeassistant.local:8123 - no access via lan but works with Wi-Fi

No, under system settings in ha. There’s a spot for internal and external url.

How do you “enable WiFi”? It should be on by default in a Windows computer. I am concerned that with Ethernet plugged in, WiFi says “Media Disconnected”.

Unplug Ethernet and double-check that you can access HomeAssistant.local:8123. Then run ipconfig /all again.

Also, in Settings → Network, what do you see in Network Adapter?

adapter

The penguin is the Microsoft Windows Subsystem for Linux. Mine is currently running Ubuntu 18.04. It is handy to experiment and learn Linux. There is a process to update it to 24.04, but I haven’t done it yet. If you brick it, it can be reinstalled.

There should be a penguin icon in your system tray. Click it. Or enter “wsl” in the Windows search bar. Once you are into the command window, enter “lsb_release -a”.

You can also see the Linux files from File Explorer. Look for the bird:

network

But, we’re getting off-topic.

1 Like

More FYI:

Here is what I get on my desktop PC when I run ipconfig /all

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:
   Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : lan
   Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 50-E5-49-56-4C-87
   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
   Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::cf04:ea0f:1dcd:2faf%7(Preferred)
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.150(Preferred)
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
   Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Monday, February 12, 2024 8:32:01 AM
   Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, February 13, 2024 12:14:11 AM
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
   DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
   DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 38856009
   DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-21-A1-51-80-50-E5-49-56-4C-87
   DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 8.8.8.8
   NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi:
   Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : lan
   Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8191SU Wireless LAN 802.11n USB 2.0 Network Adapter
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : F8-7B-8C-07-56-2A
   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
   Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::5289:3077:51cc:31dd%4(Preferred)
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.140(Preferred)
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
   Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Monday, February 12, 2024 10:45:36 PM
   Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, February 13, 2024 12:45:35 AM
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
   DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
   DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 553155468
   DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-21-A1-51-80-50-E5-49-56-4C-87
   DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 1.1.1.1
   NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

What is important is that the Ethernet and WiFi interfaces have different MAC addresses (Microsoft calls the MAC address “Physical Address”), and different IP addresses. As I said, I am puzzled that plugging in your Ethernet kills the WiFi adapter.

Should I unplug the ethernet, enable wi-fi and connect?

what settings are we talking about?

Nothing in that penguin folder, writing wsl brings up and close right away console window.

I never said that it kills my wi-fi adapter :slight_smile: You are not seeing it since I keep Wi-Fi disabled. As I said “If I unplug the ethernet cable and enable Wi-Fi on my client PC, I’m able to open up the address.”

Why are you disabling WiFi?
I want to see ipconfig /all when you can connect to Home Assistant.

why I should keep Wi-Fi enabled if I’m on ethernet cable? Haven’t been using wi-fi for 8 months so kept it disabled.

There is no reason to disconnect WiFi when using Ethernet.

What network connection did Home Assistant make?

adapter

8 months? What did I miss? Did Ethernet work before? What changed?

I’m not sure where you do you find this setting. I already posted a screenshot from Settings>System>Network.

Sorry for asking but how this question even related to the problem I’m having? Previously I had no possibility to use ethernet and now I do.

It is at the bottom of the network page.

In as few words as possible, what is the problem?
I had understood that you were using Ethernet previously and it had stopped working. Have you ever had ethernet working on this computer?

I dont have settings. I’ve sent you what I have in that tab in 47# reply.

I haven’t said that my ethernet is not working :smiley:

Ok in short:

1. Started using Home Assistant last week.
  2. I was able to access and use homeassistant.local page for 3-4 days.
  3. I went to sleep, woke up, turned on pc and BAM - I was no longer able to open homeassistant.local - getting request takes too long.
  4. I’ve unplugged my ethernet cable, turned on wi-fi and then I was able to access and use homeassistant.local page
  5. I’ve plugged my ethernet cable back, turned off wi-fi and received same error that requests takes too long.

I’m able to ping home assistant IP. I’m unable to open homeassistant.local page when I’m using internet on ethernet cable plugged in and I’m able to use homeassistant.local page when I’m connected to Wi-Fi.
I tested same thing on other PC that is connected to the internet via ethernet cable - same thing - can’t open homeassistant.local page, but able to ping it.

Just a quick question…on which interface is your VirtualBox network adapter interfaced? Wifi or Lan?

The virtual network adaptor should be bridged to your real network card in use; it can not be both wired and wifi simultaneously :thinking:
Also, on your real network card’s properties , you should have the following item enabled for VirtualBox to be able to actually use the bridge on the card:

Bit curious why nobody else asked to verify this :thinking:

I’m oficialy giving up. Now it’s just started to work again. To be clear, no changes were made on my PC. My wife just turned on pc and she also able to open up homeassistant.local website.

It also opens up the http://192.168.32.62:8123 so it seems that everything returned to normal.
Also, I’m able to use samba now - after using net use * \192.168.32.62\config it lets me enter username and password

It’s bridged to my Wi-Fi, since I’m on my Wi-Fi with host pc. Should I change it?

Virtualbox enabled

It’s good that its working now, but have no idea why it stopped and why it started to work again.

Simple. I don’t use virtual machines or containers, so it never occurred to me.

Do you have “Advanced Mode” enabled?

Thank you. I enabled it now.

As mentioned previously all of these settings are default.

That’s when problems here show up :laughing:

When you are using Wifi, it should be on Wifi, if you are using a cable, use LAN.
And just two cents; for HA, it is recommendable to use a cable; as it is faster and more reliable.
But that is up to you…

I just figured I’d ask, as it wasn’t really clear to me if the host was on wifi or lan (you mentioned a couple of times this laptop, that laptop, switched to wifi unplugged cable etc)

I think some people are misunderstanding the issue. I don’t think the computer running the VM is the one that’s connecting via Wi-Fi, but rather other computers on the network aren’t connecting if on the LAN, but will via Wi-Fi.

You don’t think?? Still very confusing :face_with_diagonal_mouth:
Anyway…just make sure your host uses the interface it should use:

Glad you got this sorted.
I realised I made an assumption that when you were talking about ethernet and wifi, i assumed you meant the interfaces binding in Virtualbox, and not the underlying connection to the host.

Virtualbox can and will change those settings if a network device is unavailable. Eg if ethernet isnt connected and wifi is, and you start a VM, it may change the VM to use wifi.

That may explain why it randomly stopped working and then started working again