Cant get Alexa TTS working (Please Help)

You have to specify a type:, but you have the option to use announce (which makes the sound) or tts (which does not). Be aware that you cannot use tts when targeting Alexa-defined speaker groups, such as media_player.everywhere.

2 Likes

Thank you, I will try this change

Edit: this was it. You rock.

Does tts work for you on 2022.6? I get sound and announce, but not tts since updating to 2022.6.

I can confirm this bug.
For some reason it doesn’t work for me either.

I had some automations running in HA and NR via TTS. it now only works with type: announce and method: all.

Also via the NR palette I can no longer output text under speak on “regular” but must do so via “announced”

… seem to be having this problem

I’m running HA 2022.6.5 and AMP 4.0.2 and I have not had any issues with plain tts notifications.

I’m having problems with tts too in the mini media player and also the call service

Had it working for a day then stopped working

I’m at my wits end.

I can control the volume of the echos but that’s about it now.

I’ve tried all the avaliable code I can find here but no joy.

I think the media player messed up when I tried to assign the everywhere to a mini media player. Not sure what to do

title: Bedroom echo
type: custom:mini-media-player
artwork: full-cover
entity: media_player.bedroom_echo
tts:
  platform: alexa
  enity_id: media_player.bedroom_echo
toggle_power: false
source: icon
name: Bedroom
icon: mdi:bed-double

The mini-media-player card will work with media_player.everywhere as long as you specify type: announce. Alexa speaker groups like ‘everywhere’ do not work with type: tts, which is the default setting used by the card. The same goes for service calls, you must specify announce for any tts call to a speaker group which is defined in the Alexa app.

type: custom:mini-media-player
entity: media_player.everywhere
tts:
  platform: alexa
  entity_id: media_player.everywhere
  data:
    type: announce
name: All Echos

thanks drew . i will give it a go. once i get the media player working again, it need reauthentication but wont except my credentials

Hello, hopefully this is the place to ask my question. I am able to send notifications to each of my alexas but was wondering if there is a special format when I want to send the weather for the day.

message: Good morning, the temperature for today is{{ state(weather.home) }}

I am able to send messages with the updated weather but unable to get alexa to read the message with the new temperature. Ang suggestions?

Your template has a couple errors… it should be states() and is missing quote marks around the entity id.

service: notify.alexa_media_your_echo
data:
  message: "Good morning, the temperature for today is {{ states('weather.home') }}"
  data:
    type: tts

Thank you sir for the quick reply. Will make changes when I get home and hopefully works. Thanks again

This still seems to be broken in 2022.7 as well.

1 Like

I’m having a similar issue. Anything sent to my echo’s, either individually or a group, will not work with type: tts. I have to use announce to get it to work. Looks like it started with the 2022.6 update.

Same here, just discovered that none of my automations with type: tts work, but announce works fine. Everything used to work before.

Fixed…please demote this thread!

Like the rest of the cloud - thanks I spent way more time than I should have to solve this one…
Been trying to get tts into my HA for a while in openhab and then moved to HA.

Really great to finally have it working :wink:
TY

1 Like

This is still not working for me on 2022.9. I can only get it to work using “type: announce” even when pointed at a specific Alexa device. What am I doing wrong?

Hello guys, I can’t get tts working, most of the time my echos show as “unavailable”, when I try to test service that looks like this:

data:
  target: media_player.echo_dot_dormitorio
  data:
    type: tts

A green check appears, and then nothing happen, anyone could help?

If your media_player.echo_dot_dormitorio entity is “unavailable” there is either something wrong with how you have set up the integration or something wrong with the device, the normal resting state should be “standby”. Sending a tts messages to an unavailable device will not do anything.

When I call “Alexa” and she listen me, it shows standby a little time, and try to send tts but nothing happens, and what could I do wrong with de setup? Im trying to do the setup again but I dont believe it will work