Can't reach Home Assistant on the network

Great. Will definitely keep that as something for someone to try if they have issues after installation. So I understand after the new install you tried http://homeassistanipaddress:8123 and got refused to connect error and then http://homeassistanipaddress:4357 and was able to access Observer. After that you were able to access with http://homeassistanipaddress:8123.

Hard to believe accessing port 4357 first and then 8123 it somehow unblocked the port. My guess, and I stand to be corrected following further testing, is the machine is possibly on the slow side and it takes a couple of mins for HA to fully initialise and therefore allow 8123 port connections.

It would be grand if vaderag can power off his system, then power on, then wait for a couple of mins prior to trying to access HA on port 8123 (do not try to access HA through 4357).

So, @olddawgpowers yes, that’s what I did. Whether that’s actually what kicked it into gear I have no idea - I do suspect @os.habitats.tech is correct in this instance

That being said, the machine had been on for hours in the previous install and I had been unable to access even at the end, so I’m not 100% certain!

Anyway, I now have my work cut out for me transitioning everything over from Homey :slight_smile:

Fwiw, reboot and I’m back up in under 5 mins now (probably less, but I only checked it after 5 mins)

HI all. Like @vaderag I am unable to connect after installing.

I am running HA on top of it’s own OS on a Pi 4B. I have flashed an SD card as per the instructions on the home assistant site. The PI seems to boot to the point where I get the HA command line.

I have connected using an ethernet cable directly between the Pi and the windows machine. Now I can’t connect to to HA on port 8123 nor on port 4357.

I can ping homeassistant.local from windows with no packet loss.

But…

I even tried repeating the whole process of flashing the SD card. No difference. The Pi and my windows machine are connected to each directly with an ethernet cable (I have tried a regular cable and a crossed cable), so I doubt it is the local wifi router disallowing connections on 8123.

All helpful suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks

Connecting directly might throw it’s own set of challenges if your computer isn’t allocating IPs properly - I’d go via your router and then at least you know it will work on your network as well

Thanks. Turns out I can ping homeassistant.local over the house wifi.

When I use the browser to try to get to 8123 the error message doesn’t say that the IP address can’t be found, it says “connection refused”. So that’s the PI refusing to accept the request.

Same thing happens with port 4357.

OK… I tried telnetting in on various ports: 23, 80, 8123, 4357. It looks like some service is not started on the PI. As reported, I can ping it, but any sort of connection attempt fails.

Boa Noite, tambem estou tendo o mesmo problema, não é bloqueio de firewall, é algo no home assistant que esta a bloquear esta porta 8123, percebi que se muda o mac e a placa, ele da o erro como se nao pudesse mudar a placa de rede, se alguem tiver alguma informaçao de como corrigir isso ficarei grato

Sorry, English language please.

Hi! Sorry for the revival but I am experiencing a similar issue:

I was running HA in a virtual machine with no issues until yesterday. The curious thing is that I did nothing for the issue to apear, the server was untouched.

Now when I type in the browser the IP to access home assistant (192.168.0.100:8123) I got the error:

image The photo is illustrative the IP ussed was 192.168.0.100:8123.

And as the OP when I checked the observer (192.168.0.100:4357) it looks like everything is OK

I don’t know what to do :frowning: please help me.

1 Like

Try restarting ha

ha core restart
1 Like

when I enter the command

ha core restart it says the following:

processing… done
error: unknown error, see supervisor

I also tried re instaling HA on the virtual machine and backingup and I am having the same issue.

Can you somehow check is ha actually running on port 8123?
It should listen to ip:8123

sorry for thew lack of knowledge

how can I check if running on that port? Do I need access to the modem via browser?

I dont have vm. You can check for open ports with ie. nmap

Update:

I tried reinstalling a new virtual machine from a fresh Ova file and everything loads ok until I bring back the backup when I load the backup the error comes back, I’ve tried using older backups but it alwats rejects my connection as soon as I load the backup.

Last update:

I fixed the issue doing the following:

1. Install a fresh HA virtual machine.
  2. Assigned the original static IP 192.168.0.100.
  3. Uploaded a partial restore from backup (5 days ago backup before the problem arised) of the following (I purposedly left the folders uncheked):

That fixed the issue so far.

I don’t know whath caused the problem but I am glad it’s working now. If someone finds an explanation know that I am really interested in order to prevent this traumatic experience to happen again.

@nicolastela It sounds like I had the same problem as you, except I’m running on a Raspberry Pi4 with an external SSD. I’ve been running Home Assistant fine for a year but when I did the update in 2022.12.xx I could no longer access it via port 8123 or from the Android app. The Home Assistant observer at port 4357 showed everything was fine however.

Since I haven’t figured out how to enable ssh, I had to hook up a monitor and keyboard and I was able to fix the problem with the command core update and then core restart

After that, everything was back to normal.

Next task, add the ssh & web terminal addon :slight_smile:

1 Like