Can't reach Home Assistant on the network

I’ve just installed Home Assistant, wired it up to the network and I’m through to the command line which diligently tells me it’s IP as 192.168.1.125

I’ve confirmed this in my router, and I can happily ping the IP
Install seems all good (tho I’m not sure what I can do at the CLI)

However, I am unable to access Home Assistant through any device (have tried wired ethernet and wireless devices) either with the IP or the homeassistant.local addresses, including or excluding the port specification…

I’m clearly not the first person to see this issue, and I doubt I’ll be the last, but I can’t find a definitive resolution. I’ve tried rebooting the router, I’ve defined that IP as static (it’s appearing as Home Assistant in my router), but now at my wits end… what can I do?

Can you access it on a comp that you installed it? As I remember you need to log in on your comp on which you install ha to finish installation.
But this was a over a year or more ago and maybe that is not correct for all installations.

Yeah, I get to the command line on the machine which it’s installed, no problem.

I just get the following

All is correct in my router

and ping completes without issue

Edit: this is what I see on the HA machine itself

As I remember I installed ha supervised on my comp, run gui, opened browser and open ha instance in a browser on a comp I installed ha.

This is home assistant os so that’s not possible here

I installed debian linux and on top of it I installed ha supervised. As far I remember you need to open ha instance on comp because installer needs it to finish installation.
Maybe this is different on other installations.

Yes what you’re talking about is one way of doing it… The web browser needs to be opened on another machine in the context that I’m installing per the instructions I linked. There is no way to open a browser on this machine

well can you ping ip:8123 ?
on windows machine this should be
telnet 192.168.1.125 8123

Nope

Its seems that ha instance isnt up. If you finished with install just try the obvious - reboot comp.

It’s been rebooted a number of times…

Fing isn’t finding any open ports either

As I see it, for some reason you ha instance isnt up. Maybe I’m wrong.
I never installed like you did so I cant help you from my experience.

I’m not saying you’re wrong, but I don’t see how that can be…

Everything is green on boot, no errors. I’ve run a core check, all fine.
It lists out the ip addresses and ports when it starts up, and exists on those ports.

The instructions have been followed to the letter, but still I cannot access… very very strange

Have you tried this? http://homeassistant.local:8123 You might also try ha > core check to see if you get any errors.

Your HAOS install is on a VM?

None of the addresses work, core check is fine

I’m currently reinstalling in case something went wrong that I can’t see but :man_shrugging:

@os.habitats.tech
Nope, clean Home Assistant OS install

I believe something is blocking access to port 8123 and possibly other ports. I would check your router/gateway for possible firewall rules which might prohibit access to certain tcp ports or most likely port ranges.

I would guess reinstalling will not solve your issue. Your current bare metal install seems sound.

I’ve tried disabling all firewall rules on my router too - it didn’t seem to make a difference :frowning:
That was my first assumption (or maybe third…!)

Yup, just re-installed, watched everything like a hawk and all went swimmingly.
I am actually on the latest version now as well (8.3 - the guide still has a link to 8.2)

No difference however, still unable to access via any of the links :frowning:

Connection refused whatever I try… on 8123

HOWEVER, it does seem to be able to translate homeassistant.local:4357 to the correct machine

So definitely something funky going on with port:8123

Holy *** - I don’t know whether this is luck, or timing, but trying 8123 following accessing 4357 and it’s loaded!

1 Like