Can't restart hass.io 0.97.2 - dashboard button does nothing, errors show in the log

I’m guessing it’s related to my other problem described here.

after clicking on button to restart the system, all I got is an error:

2019-08-17 14:00:32 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.core] Error executing service <ServiceCall homeassistant.restart (c:3258550e665e442481c1869e4c9bec1b)>
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/core.py", line 1243, in _safe_execute
    await self._execute_service(handler, service_call)
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/core.py", line 1260, in _execute_service
    await handler.func(service_call)
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/hassio/__init__.py", line 265, in async_handle_core_service
    errors = await conf_util.async_check_ha_config_file(hass)
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/config.py", line 835, in async_check_ha_config_file
    res = await check_config.async_check_ha_config_file(hass)
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/check_config.py", line 151, in async_check_ha_config_file
    p_validated = component_platform_schema(p_config)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/voluptuous/schema_builder.py", line 267, in __call__
    return self._compiled([], data)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/voluptuous/schema_builder.py", line 589, in validate_dict
    return base_validate(path, iteritems(data), out)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/voluptuous/schema_builder.py", line 381, in validate_mapping
    cval = cvalue(key_path, value)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/voluptuous/validators.py", line 204, in _run
    return self._exec(self._compiled, value, path)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/voluptuous/validators.py", line 284, in _exec
    v = func(path, v)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/voluptuous/schema_builder.py", line 630, in validate_sequence
    cval = validate(index_path, value)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/voluptuous/validators.py", line 204, in _run
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/voluptuous/validators.py", line 249, in _exec
    return func(path, v)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/voluptuous/validators.py", line 284, in _exec
    v = func(path, v)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/voluptuous/schema_builder.py", line 811, in validate_callable
    return schema(data)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/voluptuous/schema_builder.py", line 267, in __call__
    return self._compiled([], data)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/voluptuous/schema_builder.py", line 589, in validate_dict
    return base_validate(path, iteritems(data), out)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/voluptuous/schema_builder.py", line 381, in validate_mapping
    cval = cvalue(key_path, value)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/voluptuous/schema_builder.py", line 811, in validate_callable
    return schema(data)
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/config_validation.py", line 381, in service
    if valid_entity_id(value):
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/core.py", line 121, in valid_entity_id
    return "." in entity_id and slugify(entity_id) == entity_id.replace(".", "_", 1)
TypeError: argument of type 'NoneType' is not iterable

hardware: RPi3

any ideas what’s up?

EDIT: link

It appears you have an entity id somewhere in your config with a ‘.’ where it should not be.

There should only ever be one ‘.’ in an entity id. It seperates the domain (light, sensor, etc) and the object_id (dining_room_light).

domain.object_id
light.dining_room_light

valid

input_boolean.my_input_boolean
light.my_light

invalid:

input_boolean.my_input.boolean
light.my.light

Possibly in your customize file, though I’m not sure.

hi! thanks for the hint - I thought so, but already checked all lines added to my “last working” configuration and didn’t found anything wrong.

I’m re-flashing my sd-card for the N-th time now. will try from scratch & check on the clean install but the mentioned configuration check [link in the first post] failed even without changing the config which was valid from the beginning. that’s why I’m thinking if it’s something hassio-related, and not yaml related maybe?

I will need to restore my snapshots tho… sooner or later :confused:

It’s almost never a HA problem that needs a re-install of HA. The only time that is usually necessary is if you go into the OS files and make changes there or possibly a failed update. If you only ever make changes to the config files it is very unlikely the problem is going to get resolved by doing a HA reinstall.

Always do the “config check” first before you try to restart HA. It will tell you in a more human readable way where the problem is.

the thing is check config does not work (I mentioned that in the topic I have linked in my first post).

I am aware that yaml config error is almost always the suspect, but it just started to misbehave after update. that is why I am asking for any other ideas ;(

Yeah, for some reason I can’t seem to get that link to do anything. It doesn’t go anywhere as far as I can see.

So, maybe you can repost that link correctly again or just explain here what you mean by the “config check does not work”.

No one can give you ideas until we get a good idea of where the problem lies. And the easiest way to do that non-destructively is to use the config check button.

link fixed, there was a “|” in front of the url. now working [probably pasted by my mistake]

long story short: button check config does nothing. spinning circle-progress-bar animation starts and never ends :confused:

all right. situation update. still don’t know what caused the problem.
I backed all up, flashed my sdcard for the N-th time, booted clean.
then, step by step, I was adding one yaml file after another with constant validation with “check config” option. in the end, all files were added, no error found. so instead of restoring the snapshot, I tried to configure all the stuff by hand, having the snapshot opened on pc & constantly checking all jsons for configuration etc.
of course my tokens were changed, so few apps that use tokens needed to be reconfigured, but the rest is working fine. the said error is gone, check config works fine.

my guess is, that something had to go wrong with the update process or snapshot restore. maybe somewhere some file was interrupted while writing - I don’t know for sure, but right now my HA is working again, so I won’t investigate it further.