Can't Upgrade From HA 0.90.2 to 0.91.4 (Hassio)

I’m having issues upgrading HA from 0.90.2 to 0.91.4 (have been experiencing similar upgrade issues with other recent version upgrades too—all 0.91.x, I believe).

I’m running on a Pi 3 via Hassio (Hass.io Supervisor v.160; HassOS 2.11).

Below are my error logs:

19-04-18 19:26:40 INFO (MainThread) [hassio.homeassistant] Update Home Assistant to version 0.91.4 

19-04-18 19:26:40 INFO (SyncWorker_19) [hassio.docker.interface] Update image homeassistant/raspberrypi3-64-homeassistant:0.90.2 to homeassistant/raspberrypi3-64-homeassistant:0.91.4 

19-04-18 19:26:40 INFO (SyncWorker_19) [hassio.docker.interface] Pull image homeassistant/raspberrypi3-64-homeassistant tag 0.91.4. 

19-04-18 19:31:00 ERROR (SyncWorker_19) [hassio.docker.interface] Can't install homeassistant/raspberrypi3-64-homeassistant:0.91.4 -> 500 Server Error: Internal Server Error ("readlink /mnt/data/docker/overlay2/l: invalid argument"). 

19-04-18 19:31:00 WARNING (MainThread) [hassio.homeassistant] Update Home Assistant image fails

I’m currently running just the following two add-ons:

To that end, it’s possibly relevant to note that my Configurator add-on is way out of date (and no longer upgradable on 0.90.2):

Could my issues with upgrading 0.90.2 to 0.91.4 be related to this and Ingress?

Or is it something else?

Any help or tips would be much appreciated!

Look in Hassio -> System I suspect the Hassio Supervisor is out of date.

The new Configurator requires 0.91.3 or later.

As I mentioned above, I’m currently running:

That’s the latest, right? (Appears to be the latest available for me on 0.90.2)

Check for space on your PI, that was my issue. Not enough space to update but the error message didn’t indicate that.

That is the latest Supervisor. I have that now on 0.91.4.

I am not on HassOs though. I am on Raspbian Lite

My 64GB SD is 91% free/unused.

So it’s definitely not space.

I’m having the exact same problem

1 Like

@BrianM: Have you uncovered any clues to why this might be happening on our Hassio installs?

Out of curiosity, are you getting the same exact errors in your logs?

Exactly the same. Same problem with the configurator too. Haven’t worked it out yet or found any additional information. I’m thinking about just re-installing and starting fresh but this wouldn’t be the first time and I shouldn’t have to do that.

Okay, so we are definitely in the exact same boat, @BrianM—I’m considering a fresh re-install as my only available solution too.

That said, I’m seeing a lot of bug complaints and concerned chatter about issues with Ingress in 0.90.4… so I may actually wait a second and continue to watch that chatter before I do a fresh re-install to compete the upgrade.

In the meantime, if anyone else can think of reasons/solutions for why @BrianM and I are unable to do a regular Upgrade to 0.90.4 on our Hassio installs, please give us a shout here!!

Have you ever tried the Check Home Assistant configuration add on? It’ll tell you if your configuration will fail with the new image, which could also cause an upgrade to fail.

2 Likes

I’m also having a problem updating to 0.91.4 (I’m coming from 0.89.1). I can’t confirm I’m getting exactly the same error, but I do get the docker pull image message before I can’t load the logs/any pages any more. When I finally decide the upgrade simply isn’t going to work after 4-6 hours (I’ve tried it multiple times) restarting my rPi B+ brings me back to 0.89.1 and doesn’t seem to keep the logs, at least not that I’ve been able to find.

I did try the config checker and my results were good:

[Info] Start install HomeAssistant latest
[Info] Installed homeassistant==0.91.4, check config now
[Info] Configuration check finished - no error found! :)

I will say the rPi’s activity light (the green one) is steady on when I finally give up and restart it. The upgrade wouldn’t actually be taking longer than 6 hours would it? It never been more than a few minutes before.

I just tried that and everything comes out fine. Not sure what else to do.

It definitely wouldn’t take 6 hours lol. All it’s doing is downloading a new docker container or 2 and starting them up.

I did find this, which someone just replied with the only mildly helpful comment “corrupt file system”.

A similar issue with links to a potential fix:

Edit: followed the rabbit hole for you:

I would double check your volume is as large as you think it is first: Update | Problem
and if your problem isn’t just a smaller than you expected volume then it’s probably a corruption in a docker file system and you’ll have to format and restore like so:
Update | Problem

After running dh -f I see I have plenty of space (25gigs) except in the mount point /dev/init (/dev/root is the actual folder that’s full).

But, I just tried running the update through ssh and it worked fine. No idea what the difference is behind the scenes, but the update took about 2 minutes from the command line and everything is back up and running correctly. So, if you guys were using the update button, try running the update from the command line instead and see if it works. I ran:

hassio homeassistant update - -version=0.91.4

And waited a few minutes.

1 Like

Unfortunately I cannot SSH into Hassio. I created the key pairs and uploaded the key to Hassio using “import from USB”, but all I get is “Server Refused Our Key”

I used the password option in the SSH server setup. My HA isn’t accessible from outside my home network so I’m not too worried about the extra security a key pair provides.

Yeah, it looks like the SSH add-on isn’t installing properly. At this point I might as well just do a fresh install.