CarPlay Support

How is this work? is there a step by step on how to do this? I mean to have the button available upon closing in the house?

There are videos on YouTube which show you how to build garage door openers and integrate.
But basically you need to build or buy a wifi garage door opener than connects in to Home Assistant, and then expose the cover.xxx entity in the HomeKit integration and it will then be in HomeKit. Once in HomeKit it will automatically be deleted by CarPlay and show up on the CarPlay Home Screen when you are in proximity of your house.

Digging this up… Shelly app just got carplay support so seems apple is giving that entitlement to more apps than navigation, music and such!

1 Like

What does the Shelly app do? Apple’s listed allowed apps are:

The following types of apps are supported: audio, communication (messaging and calling), driving task, EV charging, fueling, navigation (turn-by-turn directions), parking, quick food ordering, and automaker (published by car manufacturers).

Apps must only do these things in CarPlay and cannot vary from that - no slipping in additional features at least by their reckoning.

Had the same thought today.
I have some Shelly devices but none is showing up in the app. The app is saying please configure devices in the app settings but there is no such setting for my plugs,1pm or em3.

In the Shelly app, under preferences → CarPlay you can activate which entities you want to add to CarPlay.

I second this, shelly now works in carplay. devices can be selected in the shelly app for carplay. I hope the same will be added to Homeassistant soon

1 Like

This image was added to Shelly’s FB group by the Dimitar himself (the CEO).

It doesn’t seem to fit in any of the categories mentioned but they still got it… Either Apple is loosening their restrictions or they got a special favour for wtv reason. I really doubt they granted the CarPlay entitlement to Shelly by accident.

Not sure if someone at Nabu or home assistant dev circle has any contact within shelly to clarify? Shelly is in good terms with Home Assistant as far as I understand.

2 Likes

We submitted a request similar to what Shelly did. We’ll see if it’s successful! Fair warning: I have a lot of other things that need doing before this, even if approved.

6 Likes

Can confirm, it’s working :smiley::+1:t3:

No pressure, buddy! We’re just looking for opportunities here. Thank you for all your work!

1 Like

So I’ve built a garage opener with a zwave momentary switch connected to my roller door opener and a contact sensor.

I then exposed it to HomeKit and it appears as a working garage opener in HomeKit with the pretty pictures for the open/close state and Siri responds as needed.

CarPlay still doesn’t show the option near my house though despite the address being in my contact. I have to be missing something…

Someone suggested having Siri Suggestions enabled, I use to have the same issue but it was quite awhile ago so I do not remember if that was how I resolved it. https://www.reddit.com/r/HomeKit/comments/d7y7j6/ios_13_carplay_not_showing_garage_door/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

1 Like

Of course, that would make sense. I remember turning that off because I found my calendar appointments annoying on that screen and seeing full album art and controls more useful.

I wish we could customise it a little more.

Thanks for your response.

Activate siri suggestions and the first times ask siri to open and close your garage (like “hey siri, open/close garage”). It will learn that close to that area you usually trigger that cover and it will offer you on the dashboard. I had to do the same.

Probably a stupid question, but do you need a home hub for this to work? I’m guessing yes as I don’t so obviously I can’t control my devices when not on wifi. If that’s the case then CarPlay won’t offer it as a suggestion either?

how do you get this to work?

Looking at the WWDC video (Get more mileage out of your app with CarPlay - WWDC22 - Videos - Apple Developer) it appears that they’ve broadened the compatibility criteria to include “driving activities”. I assume that this is how Shelly have made it through, as porch lights and garage doors are legitimate end-of-journey activities. HA will only get approval if it is limited to exposing switches, I imagine. You’re not going to be able to present a camera stream, a temperature graph etc… just quick glance items. If HA can find a way to limit the UI to that, it could be an absolute winner.

Yeah we received permission. It’s just a matter of implementation now. Not super painful but does require some work.

36 Likes

Oh, that’s great news!