CarPlay Support

So I’ve built a garage opener with a zwave momentary switch connected to my roller door opener and a contact sensor.

I then exposed it to HomeKit and it appears as a working garage opener in HomeKit with the pretty pictures for the open/close state and Siri responds as needed.

CarPlay still doesn’t show the option near my house though despite the address being in my contact. I have to be missing something…

Someone suggested having Siri Suggestions enabled, I use to have the same issue but it was quite awhile ago so I do not remember if that was how I resolved it. https://www.reddit.com/r/HomeKit/comments/d7y7j6/ios_13_carplay_not_showing_garage_door/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

1 Like

Of course, that would make sense. I remember turning that off because I found my calendar appointments annoying on that screen and seeing full album art and controls more useful.

I wish we could customise it a little more.

Thanks for your response.

Activate siri suggestions and the first times ask siri to open and close your garage (like “hey siri, open/close garage”). It will learn that close to that area you usually trigger that cover and it will offer you on the dashboard. I had to do the same.

Probably a stupid question, but do you need a home hub for this to work? I’m guessing yes as I don’t so obviously I can’t control my devices when not on wifi. If that’s the case then CarPlay won’t offer it as a suggestion either?

how do you get this to work?

Looking at the WWDC video (Get more mileage out of your app with CarPlay - WWDC22 - Videos - Apple Developer) it appears that they’ve broadened the compatibility criteria to include “driving activities”. I assume that this is how Shelly have made it through, as porch lights and garage doors are legitimate end-of-journey activities. HA will only get approval if it is limited to exposing switches, I imagine. You’re not going to be able to present a camera stream, a temperature graph etc… just quick glance items. If HA can find a way to limit the UI to that, it could be an absolute winner.

Yeah we received permission. It’s just a matter of implementation now. Not super painful but does require some work.

36 Likes

Oh, that’s great news!

Hi, any insight in how this works if I have two garage doors exposes in Homekit?

I don’t sorry!

I have this same setup. What are you looking to do? Maybe I can help :slightly_smiling_face:

Is there any chance to implement HA actionable notifications to be shown by car’s infotainment?

I have several notifications sent on geolocation change. After buying a new car I has started to use the carplay, but since this I miss all of those notifications

1 Like

Thanks, will try it.

Anyhow prefer to not use the touch screen and use instead voice (currently Alexa in my Audi). In order to not open doors by accident … I need to say the “garage door name nm%” (more than one in oure case) and a dedicated % value. Only if this fits HA will open the door…

… And If needed I could start to open even while I still need to drive a distance …

Hello everyone it’s at @zacwest , but nothing has been done about the possibility of using shelly-style shortcuts on carplay?

Is there any hope in the next update?

1 Like

I didn’t know this all existed until I got an automated gate (Shelly Uni) and it just started showing up on the CarPlay screen. But I can’t click it. It shows up, and shows the correct state of my gate. And I can control it from the Home app and Siri without issue - but it doesn’t appear to be a actionable button from CarPlay. Has anyone else had that and know how to fix it?

They already got the permission from Apple last year. So i don’t understand why is it so complex to implement this feature. The client app has not got any new mentionable feature for a year…

Indeed it seems strange. I understood that it would take a few months, but almost a year has passed.
It would be great to be able to use the garage shortcut even if you are not connected to wifi but remotely… Maybe the thing I’m waiting for the most.
Let’s hope at least that the developer will answer us even in a negative way, at least one will put his soul at rest.

There must be an apple developer in the HA community who could contribute some time to progress the companion. Its the least loved part of the ecosystem…

Also i would upvoate a linux version of the companion. Android isnt the only other operatingsystem…
just saying.

Is there a way you could have an in App purchase for Carplay support?? I’m sure this’ll upset some people but I feel like this way we could contribute to make this feature a reality??

I’m certainly itching for support - At least being able to use HA to bring Homekit support means I can open my garage door with siri as I come up the driveway - Annoyingly as Tuya Garage door opener support is a bit hit and miss I have to say “turn on open garage door” but its easier than unlocking my phone with face ID to open HA or Tuya and push a button whilst hitting the neighbours car :slight_smile:

1 Like