CarPlay Support

You can already do that. I already have on my CarPlay Dashboard a button to open/close my garage door and Siri also plays nice with it. You can also get the controls in home app on your phone.

CarPlay support as an app is not what you want. This would allow adding other entities and control them. My use case (which the Shelly app solves ) is controlling each gate individually (I have two: one for the property and another for the garage).

1 Like

How did you add the shortcut to carplay dashboard?
I have a siri shortcut which Iā€™m able to call via voice. It works 100% reliable in my case. I have shorten the call to ā€žopen the gateā€.

But I would like to know how to create a button on the dash for that shortcut

1 Like

Youā€™ll need to allow Siri suggestions in dashboard on the CarPlay device in order to see any doors or gates

1 Like

Found any solutions to this?? Iā€™m also interested! :grin:

Hil

how is the current state of this topic ? When HA got the approval from apple, on what is this hanging now? What is an expected release?
thanks

I think we have to lose hope (or at least I did), a year has passed now, and there have been few updates to the app, I think there is only @zacwest as iOS developer.

The bad thing is that a platform like home assistant still hasnā€™t managed to make this update with many users asking for it and then you see Shelly who did it without anyone asking.

@zacwest

If you read this, please let us know if this is scheduled for a future update or we still have to wait.

Itā€™s a bit bassakward, however for a couple devices such as garage door/gates you might have a look at setting up a Tasmota 32 device and enable itā€™s Matter ā€˜bridgeā€™ support (link below). I did some initial testing with a ESP32 running the first versions of this firmware and had it connect to two other Tasmota /Tasmota ā€˜likeā€™ OpenBeken lights. I was able to use Apple Siri (and in car via Siri, Apple Home App on iOS) and Google Home (and Google Home app on iOS) to control and query these devices directly (albeit via this esp32 device). Depending on the APIā€™s and/or MQTT that the target device you are looking to control, if you can get Tasmota to materialize the device in the gateway device as a switch, light or sensor (Tasmotaā€™s Berry scripting language is a pretty powerful tool) you should be able to get the Tasmota Matter system to pass this along to Apple, Google and Amazon (Iā€™ve not tried Amazon) for control and query. I was very impressed by the robustness of this code, it still new but perhaps worth a look. Seems like a good way to get a few things into car and ā€˜out of houseā€™ via iOS phone. Good hunting!

https://tasmota.github.io/docs/Matter/

The issue is different, matter and robust precisely because it is developed by apple, amazon google etcā€¦

What you need is the being able to use on carplay homeassistant, so that you are not forced to use a hub e.g. apple tv homePod etcā€¦Like I recreated a cover button, which appears on my carplay but I can only use it if I am under wifi, if I try with 4g cellular network it doesnā€™t work for apple requires its hub.

Understood, however I was trying to offer you a possible path to your :

ā€˜I think we have to lose hope (or at least I did)ā€™

Yes, you need to pony up for an Apple TV, probably the lowest cost and most added function path, one time cost. If you have an iOS phone and Car Play in your vehicle, you are already pretty far down the Apple rabbit holeā€¦ and from my experience those (as well as Apple TV) work about the best of any remote solution. Both without annual fee and with probably the best privacy of any of the ā€˜hubā€™ players.

Itā€™s not perfect and since Tasmota and Homebridge are not ā€˜officialā€™ Matter vendors your still on the edge. But Matter route does seem to be becoming the #1 path for vendors and having Home Assistant being a player there is a big plus. Yes, it would be nice to have only a Home Assistant 100% local home, but I am not sure how long it will be before not also having at least one of the ā€˜big 3ā€™ hubs in your home is a realityā€¦ Good hunting!

I guess Iā€™m reading some confused minds around here.

The idea of having the CarPlay entitlement is that home assistant can turn into an app in CarPlay. The dashboard you have on CarPlay is not user customisable, it pretty much put things up whatever it ā€œthinksā€ is most useful to you.

If you want to control your garage from the dashboard without being connected to your wifi network youā€™ll need an Apple TV or iPad sitting at home to serve as home hub.

The request, or what this enables, is an app where you can configure several entities. Imagine getting home, opening your garage and you have the switches for lights as well and to run some scripts or whatever should be made.

For all of you who want to solely control your gates from the CarPlay dashboard just get a used full HD apple TV (I still have the first Apple TV with tvOS and works well). No need to buy the latest.

Sometimes I wonder what these HA-like forums and platforms are for.
I know that if I want to open the garage from carplay I need a hub, but since HA exists and the developer of the app said I had found a way (as shelly already did), I donā€™t see why not ask for updates. As for carplay being limited in customization I know but in my opinion already having the ability to receive notifications and use some buttons without going through a hub for me already would be the top. Then if you canā€™t just let it be said so everyone finds the best solution for themselves.

I actuality shared the garage door through HA to HomeKit. But I have three garage doors and neither CarPlay nor HomeKit knows how to handle thatā€¦ If CarPlay would be supported natively from HA I would be able to take control of that and be able to open all of them from the car dashboard.

Actually it is. You may chose apps shown on dashboard as long as such an app is supported by carplay (or supports CarPlay).

CarPlay support seems to be actively developed. I hope it will become available soon

7 Likes

It has arrived in the first iteration of the Mobile App (if you are in Testflight).

2 Likes

How do we get the Invitation ?

Just sign up here: Join the Home Assistant beta - TestFlight - Apple

1 Like

looking very impressive for a first beta PoC! :smiley:
I hope theyā€™ll add some dashboard / lovelace support still over time, and some search/filter as the list tend to be rather long, but nice that at least all is already accessible somehow

More improvements on itā€™s way:

Apple CarPlay is very limited on what you can do, and even worse, depending on your ā€œtype of applicationā€ you are allowed to use some features and otherā€™s not, if you are curious about the guidelines, take a look:

2 Likes

Today I noticed info about TestFlight and installed it immediately.

I have to say: greaaat improvement (compared to nothing, hahaha).
Appreciate the effort, really. I can imagine there might be several needs or use cases. My are as follows

1. Open a gate
  2. turn off all lights
  3. react on actionable notification

First two already are available. The third one, not tested. Probably not available
There are to issues with Notifications:

1. CarPlay doesnā€™t show them unless they are critical one. Sometimes you donā€™t need all messages to be critical for various reasons.
  2. CarPlay can show messages but doesnā€™t provide an option to execute actions. I hope that will be possible to achieve somehow inside HA CarPlay application.

Now a few notes after the first minutes of using it:

1. The current separation of entities into their domain categories might be not comfortable enough. I understand that it is an initial proposal.
  2. How to limit accessible entities in HA CarPlay? Seems it shows all entities that are not assigned to any location (or being assigned to Home?). For the sake of a large number of entities, accessing them might be troublesome. Or even result in unwanted actions.
    Not sure what the final app proposal looks like. But I can imagine the usage of dedicated are for the CarPlay or a dedicated dashboard as a solution/workaround.

Again, big thank you for implementing the CarPlay.