Carrier/Bryant Infinitive Integration

The Pi I bought didn’t come with a power supply so I bought one on Amazon.
In doing a word search through the log file it looks like there may be an additional error coming up than the two listed above. The word error comes up 69 more times than the two error messages above… I’m trying to find the other 69 errors.

Ah ok. Thanks for clarifying. Two more questions.

1. When you cloned the infinitive repo did you run “git checkout ha_0.96” to switch to that branch? This would switch you to the changes needed to run on the changes made in HA 0.96.

2. The other thing I noticed is your host isn’t in quotes. Can’t remember if that’s necessary but it’s worth checking. It’s a string in the component so may need to be in quotes. The port is an integer so it doesn’t need to be in quotes.

I’d really look closely at the power supply. Canakit is a reliable source. Maybe something like this one.

Down side is I can’t guarantee this will fix your issue but with the same issue cropping up across two different Pi’s the power supply is definitely on my list of suspects.

thanks. Got the 96.0 code and now am getting these errors
Error while setting up platform infinitive

9:07 PM custom_components/infinitive/climate.py (ERROR)

Retrying (Retry(total=0, connect=None, read=None, redirect=None, status=None)) after connection broken by ‘NewConnectionError(’<urllib3.connection.HTTPConnection object at 0x7fdae92df810>: Failed to establish a new connection: [Errno 111] Connection refused’)’: /api/zone/1/config

9:07 PM custom_components/infinitive/climate.py (WARNING)

Retrying (Retry(total=1, connect=None, read=None, redirect=None, status=None)) after connection broken by ‘NewConnectionError(’<urllib3.connection.HTTPConnection object at 0x7fdae92d48d0>: Failed to establish a new connection: [Errno 111] Connection refused’)’: /api/zone/1/config

Retrying (Retry(total=2, connect=None, read=None, redirect=None, status=None)) after connection broken by ‘NewConnectionError(’<urllib3.connection.HTTPConnection object at 0x7fdae92d45d0>: Failed to establish a new connection: [Errno 111] Connection refused’)’: /api/zone/1/config

Retrying (Retry(total=3, connect=None, read=None, redirect=None, status=None)) after connection broken by ‘NewConnectionError(’<urllib3.connection.HTTPConnection object at 0x7fdae934e390>: Failed to establish a new connection: [Errno 111] Connection refused’)’: /api/zone/1/config

Retrying (Retry(total=4, connect=None, read=None, redirect=None, status=None)) after connection broken by ‘NewConnectionError(’<urllib3.connection.HTTPConnection object at 0x7fdae93de210>: Failed to establish a new connection: [Errno 111] Connection refused’)’: /api/zone/1/config

9:07 PM loader.py (WARNING)

You are using a custom integration for infinitive which has not been tested by Home Assistant. This component might cause stability problems, be sure to disable it if you do experience issues with Home Assistant.

9:07 PM loader.py (WARNING)

Before HA would not even restart so at least it’s making progress. I’m guessing these error MAYBE caused because I don’t have an RS-485 adapter yet. What do you recommend? I’m running HA on an i7 PC inside Proxmox.

I’ll order a new power supply…
In the meantime, I found the additional errors. Any thoughts?
This one shows up 1 time:

Aug  6 07:09:24 raspberrypi avahi-daemon[295]: Interface wlan0.IPv4 no longer relevant for mDNS.
Aug  6 07:09:24 raspberrypi kernel: [127278.847874] brcmfmac: brcmf_proto_bcdc_query_dcmd: brcmf_proto_bcdc_msg failed w/status -110
Aug  6 07:09:24 raspberrypi dhcpcd[369]: wlan0: deleting route to 192.168.1.0/24
Aug  6 07:09:24 raspberrypi dhcpcd[369]: wlan0: deleting default route via 192.168.1.1

These show up 1 time each:

Aug  6 07:09:26 raspberrypi kernel: [127281.407885] brcmfmac: _brcmf_set_multicast_list: Setting mcast_list failed, -110
Aug  6 07:09:32 raspberrypi kernel: [127286.527966] brcmfmac: _brcmf_set_multicast_list: Setting allmulti failed, -110
Aug  6 07:09:34 raspberrypi kernel: [127289.087971] brcmfmac: _brcmf_set_multicast_list: Setting BRCMF_C_SET_PROMISC failed, -110

This one shows up 34 times:

Aug  6 20:09:36 raspberrypi infinitive[392]: time="2019-08-06T20:09:36-04:00" level=info msg="Read failed:%!(EXTRA *errors.errorString=unexpected EOF)"

This one shows up 1 time:

Aug  6 19:48:14 raspberrypi infinitive[392]: time="2019-08-06T19:48:14-04:00" level=info msg="Errors reading data: 44      0.03%"

Can you hit the infinitive web page? If so, can you hit http://<ip or dns name>/api/zone/1/config? You should get a json response in the browser. That’s got to work before HA will ever be able to communicate properly.

Take a look at this thread. They added wpa=2 to their wpasupplicant config. They were running the Pi as an AP instead of a client but it was getting the same error. May be worth a shot.

Also, I’ve read mention that Samsung phones my cause them to behave a bit weird. Not sure if that’s anything that would apply to you though.

Here’s another thread that may be of interest…

No. Connection refused. Check firewall and see it trying to connect to HA or port 8080.

Upgraded to 97.0. Now part says it’s 97.0 the system info reports 96.5

I think that’s our first issue. If you don’t have the rs-485 adapter infinitive probably won’t initialize. I recall when I was originally trying to stand it up that I pointed it to the wrong device and basically pointed it to a device that didn’t exist. The application would never actually start. I’m betting that’s what is happening in your case

My recommendation is to hold off until you get the rs-485 adapter in place.

Thanks, I thought it may be the problem.

Now the next questions. Which USB rs485 should I get? Funds are limited- retired. I saw them from a $1 all the way to $$$. Do you have a recommendation?

Here’s the one I bought. It’s been working like a champ. The db9-to-bare wire adapter it comes with makes the install 10x easier. Not exactly sure how you’d do it without the adapter.

New power supply and same issue on the new Pi… I don’t have any Samsung phones, so that’s not it.
I found the wpasupplicant config, but all it has is the name of my WiFi network, the password, and the following text: “key_mgmt=WPA-PSK”

Any thoughts?

Here is the entire config file:

ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=netdev
update_config=1
country=US

network={
	ssid="<removed>"
	psk="<removed>"
	key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
}

I don’t guess there’s any way you could test it wired for a day or two? Or maybe on a different wireless router? It really sounds like it’s just losing connectivity to WiFi that a reboot fixes.

Hi mww012:
Have one on order from Amazon. Got one that uses the FTDI chip. Should be here next week.

What I was trying to do before I got the adapter was test it. Then you pointed out that probably nothing work without one. Thanks.

Hope to get this work and be able to contribute something back. Had a similar interface issue when I interfaced my security alarm into HA. I have a DMP system which, like Carrier, keeps everything proprietary. After a little research I found a work-around and now I self monitor it via my mobile and HA.

I think the adapter will do the trick. Once you get the adapter hooked up and can access the Infinitive page from your browser, it should all be downhill from there.

I’m running a couple experiments with the PI. First off I disconnected it from the Carrier and moved it to another location in the house. Same issue. I just disabled Infinitive and am going to see if the error happens again.
Out of curiosity, what channel do you have your 2.4GHz set to on your router? I just read something that indicated Pi’s need a low channel. I’m currently on channel 7 for 2.4

I’m running about 10 UniFi AP’s and have RPi’s in several locations so I’m using a lot of channels but have not had issues with dropouts, they have been very stable. They are all RPi 3 B+, just for the information.

The channel itself won’t make a difference as far as the Pi is concerned. If you’re in the US you’ll want to run on either channels 1, 6, or 11. The 2.4 GHz should only be running 20MHz channels. Each channel is 5MHz apart so in the US running 1, 6 and 11 is the only way to have three non-overlapping channels. You can run on any of the 11 US channels but those three are optimal. Sorry if this is tmi. Networking is my day job and wireless is my specialization.

If you can’t go with @Tj_Davis’s suggestion you could try hunting down a usb wireless adapter and see if it gets you better results.

I think I am getting closer to figuring out the issue. It looks like it has something to do with the firmware for the wireless adapter? I found this in the log file right before the error starts:

brcmfmac: brcmf_sdio_hostmail: mailbox indicates firmware halted
brcmfmac: brcmf_sdio_bus_rxctl: resumed on timeout
brcmfmac: brcmf_sdio_checkdied: firmware trap in dongle

Following this list the scan errors start once a minute.

1 Like

Hi
Received my USP RS-485 adapter today. Where do I attached the A & B from my Carrier. My adapter has four pins:

VCC 5v
Data +
Data -
GND

Wanted to ask first because I didn’t want to see any smoke.
Thanks.