Casting to chromecast devices

Hello,

Is it possible to initiate casting with other apps (like TuneIn), or just the listed ones (like Plex) on the url below. For example, BBC and tunein have their own apps in chromecast, but in hassio log it says they are not supported.

Thanks
Dusan

URL

The list on the docs is not all of the apps, but it is most of them and there isn’t many.

If there isn’t a file that matches the one you are looking for here then it won’t work.

1 Like

There is a YouTube video that talks about getting direct URLs out of TunedIn for playing, not tried it personally but it is fairly recent.

1 Like

Ah, now I understand. Thank you for explanation. I had a feeling I tried Spotify and yet it was logging as app not supported, will try again.

I got to work the direct stream url, this is fairly easy, but not really proper/scalable if you see what I mean. There is also no metadata like programme and art. I also dont like the fact that if the stream url changes you have to find it again.

Yes, I agree. The thing that started me down the road of looking at this is that I found that with the BBC radio stations in particular there was no workarounds that were any good, sound quality wise.

By the way, the metadata/images don’t/won’t come for free. When you start casting with the appropriate native app they are sent as parameters, so if you want it to look nice in HomeAssistant you will have to send them when you call the service too.

Ah, I thought I could just tell hassio to cast via tunein to the speaker, for example bbc radio devon. if i do that via phone, it also gets metadata automatically.

btw, i am sure you know this, but you can find the bbc streams via tunein too. I got bbc devon like this.

@dusopn - both BBC Sounds and iPlayer should be cast-able from HomeAssistant in next month’s release, my PRs have been merged.

1 Like

Not sure if you’re casting from IPhone/Pad ?

Sounds / iPlayer has now been released (2021.7.0)

I would really appreciate step-by-step guidance on how to cast radio stations to my Chromecast devices, at spercific times.
My Chromecast devices already show up in HA and I can adjust volume, but I’d like to cast select radio stations ( I have the URL’s). I am not very technical and therefore the simpler (and the more extensive) the guidance, the easier for me.
Any help will be greatly appreciated,

Thanks