Catching errors and displaying them in Lovelace

Made it work. Didn’t even have to use the Markdown-mod even though its pretty cool.
I just made a conditional button with the text - Wrong Code Entered, please try again.
Only visible when an wrong error is entered and resets to its hidden place when pressed.

1 Like

The conditional button is a good idea. Would you mind sharing your solution for others that may be interested?

1 Like

Sure. Here is the complete code:

fire_event has to be set to true in order for the automation to trigger:

system_log:
  max_entries: 50
  fire_event: true

I use two input_booleans. One to keep track of the warning and one to reset it:

input_boolean: 
    reset_alarm_panel_warning_button:
        initial: off
    alarm_warning_present:
        initial: off

Here is the automation to catch the error and reset it:

automation:
# ALARM Panel Notifications #       
  - alias: Create notifications for Invalid code errors
    id: create_notification_alarm_panel_id
    trigger:
      platform: event
      event_type: system_log_event
    condition:
      condition: template
      value_template: '{{ "Invalid code given" in trigger.event.data.message }}'
    action:
      - service: input_boolean.turn_on
        data:
          entity_id: input_boolean.alarm_warning_present
  - alias: reset_alarm_panel_warning
    id: reset_alarm_panel_warning_button_id
    initial_state: 'on'
    hide_entity: True
    trigger:
      - platform: state
        entity_id: input_boolean.reset_alarm_panel_warning_button
        to: 'on'
    action:
    - service: input_boolean.turn_off
      entity_id: input_boolean.reset_alarm_panel_warning_button
    - service: input_boolean.turn_off
      entity_id: input_boolean.alarm_warning_present

And finally the Conditional Lovelace card:

card:
  entity: input_boolean.reset_alarm_panel_warning_button
  hold_action:
    action: more-info
  icon: 'mdi:delete'
  icon_height: 30px
  name: Wrong Code Entered. Please Reset and try again!
  show_icon: true
  show_name: true
  type: entity-button
conditions:
  - entity: input_boolean.alarm_warning_present
    state: 'on'
type: conditional
5 Likes

tom_I,

Any good suggestions on how to catch the ARM HOME and ARM AWAY button click and have them fire an automation?

My problem is that if a monitored sensor is left in the open state, the alarm won’t arm, but I won’t get a notification about what the problem is in lovelace and the state of the panel won’t change either since the alarm never arms. The physical alarm panel however will start beeping.
If I could trigger an automation by the button press, I can check if all required sensors are closed and if not throw an error.

I’m using the bwalarm custom component. I has a panel for easy sensor inclusion editing, mqtt, pending and delay times adjustment and much, much more. Can be installed with HACs.

A trigger like this catches the warning state for bwalarm. Not sure if it works with the standard manual alarm.

- id: alarm_warning
  alias: '[Alarm] Warning'
  initial_state: true
  trigger:
    platform: state
    entity_id: alarm_control_panel.house
    to: warning
  action:

In my case I use the Concord232 Alarm Panel. There is no warning state.
The only way I would catch the problem is by catching the actual button press on the Lovelace Control Panel.
The component itself just sends an arm command to the Concord232 Server. The Lovelace Alarm panel will first change to arm when the regular update of the component tells it that the status has changed to arm.

The custom component is an improved replacement for the built in manual alarm panel. If your alarm works with the built in alarm panel it will work with bwalarm.

It looks identical in Lovelace but has an added side panel.

Ok, Thanks. I will check it out

There are a lot of options to set up but it is well worth it.

Mybe I’m missing something, but that seems more like a Manual Alarm Panel where HA is in charge of monitoring Sensors. Concord232 integrates with Concord Alarm System. Don’t see how it can be a replacement for the Concord232 alarm panel.

Yes that’s what I said.

Yes, so it won’t work with Concord232 :slight_smile:

So is your physical alarm panel armed in this case or not (have no idea what that beeping means)?
And how would you know what the problem is?

No it doesn’t ARM. It just continous making sound until I close the door thats open or og go to the physical alarm panel and shut it off.

So that way it warns you about open doors/windows? And what automation would you like to use to deal with it?

If I had a way to detect when the button is clicked I could make an automation that checked it the required door were closed and if not create an alert within HA as to which doors/windows were still open.

What about displaying that something is not closed? I know it’s not ideal, but should work if you have only one mode/set of sensors…

I would prefer it the other way, but I could put the Alarm Panel on a Conditional
card. If required sensors were closed show the Alarm Panel and if not show the sensors not being closed.

Kind of, yeah… as I said, it’s not ideal. To get the idea hot to intercept button press, you’ll probably need to read custom alarm card’s code