CC2531 Zigbee USB Dongle

Hi experts,

Did anyone tried with this cheap Zigbee USB dongle(CC2531) to integrate with hass ? The original chip was from Texus Instruments which costs arounf 49 USD but with the similar look and name, some Chinese re-seller selling this module very cheap around 12-15 USD.

I am not sure if this thing can be used as a Zigbee Hub if connected to a RPi where hass is running. I am a complete noob regarding all these… So guys ! if my question sounds very basic/stupid, please don’t blame me for that rather a thoughtful answer is expected.

Thanks & Regards

1 Like

Hi.
Should be worked.
I am using DigiZigbee module with usb adapter. It works.

1 Like

@yatsik Thanks a lot for the response. Could you please share the link/guide/post to follow for setting up a ZigBee USB stick with hass in RPi ?

I am excited to experiment with this cheap dongle, if this thing can be integrated, almost every devices can be manageable with hass and users dont have to purchase a creepy HUB from the vendors.

I saw some posts with integrating Z-Wave stick but not much discussion about Zigbee. Our friends who are in USA would be mostly benefited from the Z-Wave integration. As not much devices are Z-Wave (AU Freq.) supported, only a very limited devices are designed for work in AU/NZ freq. but those prices are minimum two times higher compared to its ZigBee brothers.

Thanks again.

Look here:
https://home-assistant.io/components/zigbee/

zigbee:
  device: /dev/ttyUSB0
  baud: 115200

I think. It will works only for Digi ZigBee modules.
Which kind of ZigBee devices do you have?

Hi yatsik,

Thanks for sharing. Yeah that part of the configuration I had checked previously. Please have a look on module I am talking about…

http://au.element14.com/texas-instruments/cc2531emk/cc2531-zigbee-usb-dongle-eval/dp/1855261

I am not sure, what to do to integrate this device into hass !

Thanks & Regards
Tarikul

Yes. I have seen that.
I am using

and this

for connect my devices to raspberry.

Also I am using Digi Zigbee modules for end devices (door sensor),

and this:
http://www.tinyosshop.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=141_142&product_id=853
together with Digi Zigbee.

Which end devices are you planning to use?

Also, I have founded that.
http://www.digi.com/support/forum/2858/xbee-pro-coordinator-%26-cc2531-router-connection-problem

You need minimum two devices for communication.
If you will buy Digi zigbee devices (ask vendor, one more time, about compatible ) , you can easy implement HA.
Otherwise you need write component by yourself.

Hi Yatsik,

Thanks a lot for your valuable information.

Actually, I didn’t imagine the process can be so complicated!!! All I wished to get rid of some proprietary hub e.g. Philips Hue bridge, Wink etc. by means of connecting a universal gateway into the RPi and control my Zigbee devices e.g. Zigbee Lock, lights, sensors etc. But it seems, its much more critical than I thought. In deed, there are not much choices of Z-Wave devices in my region so was thinking of the Zigbee/WiFi products as the house appliance which can be controlled by HASS.

I am buying the WiFi appliances based on the component support in hass so far but those are limited to few devices so far. So, Zigbee would be the most obvious choice for future expand-ability.

Thanks & Regards

Tarikul-

Did you ever end up getting the Xbee or another zigbee usb controller? Did it work to replace a philips hue bridge.

-yeslek

Hi @yeslek,
No I mostly relying on RF lights, wifi switches and building some mqtt appliances following myIOT sensors. ZigBee seems too much hassle to work with hass which to me doesn’t justify the advantage. Z-wave could be the way to go but due to high price and unavailability in my region, it isn’t feasible either. End of the day, wifi might be the ultimate protocol to stay… That’s my opinion anyway.

I know this hasn’t been commented on in a while, but I have a Digi Zigbee module that connects via USB to my HASS system. I have a Cree lightbulb that joined the network (according to x-CTU) but I Can’t make the bulb do anything. Has anyone been able to get the cree bulbs to work and if so, whats your configuration?

Seems there is to be revised support for Zigbee in the next release of HA

Unfortunately it won’t support the CC2531.

That’s a shame because 2531 devices are dirt cheap from China.

HASS version 0.44 now supports native zigbee radios. A great feature indeed. I am wondering if anyone already have the CC2531 module in hand had already been playing with this version and report back how it goes. For others who want to start with, the recommended USB dongle can be the way to start. Those GoControl usb dongles are around ~35 AUD not very far off from the CC2531 modules.

Any changes that cc2531 will be supported in the future?

It’s possible to re-use much of the existing code, so support for CC2531 is something that probably won’t be that hard. I have one, and have recently ordered a programmer so that I can flash the right firmware onto it, but making it work is not a priority for me.

FWIW, once you’ve got the CC2531 and the programmer (which you’ll need, since the default firmware doesn’t have the features necessary) from eBay, it costs about as much as a Silicon Labs device, which is already supported.

1 Like

I have three cc2531 dongles and few programmers. So I have the hardware. I have been playing a little with the zigbee4java setup, so I could try to copy some consepts from there. I know basics in python and zigbee ha profile, but the freetime for this kind of projects is really limited. If I find some time, where should I start?

The challenge with gocontrol dongle is that I haven’t found retailer who delivers the stick to Europe with reasonable price:(

I tried to run your bellows repo in eclipse windows environment but zero success rate. Managed to solve the relative import errors but finally got stuck in some import error in click package. Something related to that windows might not like multiple types.py files in python project or may be it’s my incompetence:)

I got things sorted out, I had to remove the relative imports to debug the bellows repo in eclipse or run bellows in windows 10. Now I’m stuck with the required device path. If I try to run the following:
bellows -d COM3
Error: Invalid value for “-d” / “–device”: Path “COM3” does not exist.

Any help appreciated and/or more examples needed…