Change Entity ID of Tasmota device

I moved a Tasmota plug from the christmas lights over to a heated blanket. I renamed the device in Tasmota accordingly:

The change has been reflected in Home Assistant, but only for the Name, not for the Entity ID:

This is confusing because it’s the entity ID that I need when configuring views and automations.

How do I change it?

Assuming you are using the native Tasmota integration. You can change it directly from the integration.

Eg. Configuration → Integrations → Tasmota → device

Not sure I understand you.

When I go to Configuration → Integrations there’s a Tasmota tile:

If I click on “7 devices” I get to this view:

If I click the device row there, I get here:

The pencil icon allows me to change name and area, but not Entity IDs.

Ah, never mind, I found it.

I have to click each enabled entity and there I can change the ID:

1 Like

You got it :wink:

I discovered (no pun intended) another method. If I simply delete the device and and restart the Tasmota plug then it will come back and all its entities will be generated from the new name.

2 Likes

My naming was a mess as, I’m guessing, it picked up the ‘tasmota’ friendly names before I had time to change them.
Anyway, all sorted now. I did have to restart the devices after deleting them.

After adding Tasmota integration to my home assistant. I renamed all entities.
Integration after one week started to change one the particular entity (temp sensor) name back to its default. This causes much trouble. All my automation based on the entity manually named becomes useless. And I do not know how that entity is one of the most important sensor on my home.

I tried to go and create an issue. God I hate creating issues on github. It seems to me that equally difficult to write my own code.

Instead open source creators should add one report issue button to their software. Even IT guys at my work place put such button. When pressed It collects all environment configuration and logs and sends it to them.

They should not be scared that everyone at any simple glitch will use that button. They simply create an filter at their and focus only most reported most resembled cases.
just an idea. I am sure those already has been evaluated among our good software authors.

1 Like