Changing the Home Assistant Brand

Thanks, I Hate.io it!

1 Like

I feel the community should have been consulted on this matter. After all, it’s the community that has to live with the terminology.

IMHO, renaming one or the other would’ve been prudent. As it stands, not only were both renamed, but one took the other’s name.

Fred: I’m no longer Fred, call me Bob.
Bob: So what’s my name now?
Fred: You’re Bob Junior.
Bob: But everyone knows me as Bob.
Fred: I’m Bob.

28 Likes

So I’m running Hass.io on Ubuntu using the alternative install procedure (NOT to be called "hassio on docker per a previous thread), Am I now running Home Assistant on Ubuntu?

Also what will HASSOS be called if HASSIO is now Home Assistant?

Terry

1 Like

I think changing the brand after this many years is only going to add to the confusion. When someone now starts talking about “Home Assistant”, one will always wonder if they’re using the old or the new branding.

And we shall not mention the HassOS brand being preserved…

On a more positive note, I appreciate the promise of keeping Home Assistant (now known as Core) alive. As a power user, I value being able to have full control of how I run HA in docker alongside other applications. Sure, my life would probably be a thousand times easier if I were to use Home Assistant (former Hass.io) with all its add-ons, but where’s the challenge in that? :nerd_face:

1 Like

It is not being preserved. It is renamed to Home Assistant Operating System or simply Home Assistant OS.

We have a full naming scheme, and everything is named carefully to get a full picture in the end. Right now, this blog focusses on the main change.

2 Likes

So …

• Hass.io —> Home Assistant
  • Home Assistant (Venv) —> Home Assistant Core
  • Home Assistant (Docker) —> Home Assistant Core
  • HassOS —> Home Assistant OS

Have I got that right? If so, that is just as confusing.

Suggestions…

• Hass.io —> Home Assistant Plus (+1 @jimz011)
  • Home Assistant (venv) —> Home Assistant VE (virtual environment)
  • Home Assistant (Docker) —> Home Assistant (as it is essentially the same as Home Assistant Plus, without the add-ons)
  • HassOS - Something completely different, it is an OS, change it to something like Nabu Casa OS, or similar.

Create a forum poll and ask the community for ideas, that would be great start.

4 Likes

Won’t happen and no, we have not published the full list yet.

Let me clear it up this way:

Our project/org has tons of subprojects. The supervisor, the python packages, wheels, an operating system, cli’s, add-ons, dns servers, and I’m just getting started.

The only thing where it comes together is Home Assistant (used to be called Hass.io).
The idea is, if you run Home Assistant, you run the full project.

However, if you like to pick up the core, and run it differently? Sure, go ahead. Want the CLI on another machine to get to the machine running Home Assistant? Sure, go ahead.

In the end, we will have Home Assistant (the complete package) and our subprojects Home Assistant [subproject] available for anyone.

We realize this is a hard change, and especially the existing community need to get used to it.

The fact, however, is: If I flash a Pi and give my father his own home automation box, what I have said to him what it runs?: Home Assistant or Hass.io

For most people, they will say Home Assistant.

…/Frenck

21 Likes

If your Father is having you do the work for him, it doesn’t matter what he thinks the name is, what matters is how the person doing the work on his machine understands things. My Father calls it “That thing that runs my lights”.

The current naming scheme is confusing, to me this change is a sideways step, it neither helps, nor hinders things, so it seems a pointless exercise if it is not going to help clear things up.

eg: You hear about Home Assistant today, you log on and look at the site. Wow, looks great, I want to run this! Which version should I run? What is Hass.io? what is a Virtual Environment install? I have a Synology NAS, maybe I can use that, but what version runs on that, oh, and I have a Pi3 laying about, which version can I run on that? I can run 3 or more versions on my Pi3? Wow, confusing…!

Move forward 1 month when the name changes have kicked in - the exact same situation appears to me will happen. The naming scheme looks, from what has been posted, to be just as confusing.

I respectfully disagree, I don’t think it clears things up at all.

7 Likes

@frenck Very good explanation and example. Having only been in this for about a year I had the same problems learning the terms and how everything is referenced. I think this is a wonderful thing that will simply take some time to get used to. Onward to v1.0!!

1 Like

I respect that. Simply put, we cannot make everybody happy. Nevertheless, time will tell. :man_shrugging:

6 Likes

Actually if you phrase it like that it actually makes more sense now. What most people want to run is Hass.io (which like me was confusing to understand when you’ve never heard of hassio but have heard of Home Assistant). Basically what I wanted to use all along is hassio (like you say the full package). But we all call it Home Assistant (or HA in short). For me hassio is Home Assistant, so in that regard your logic has merit. You want the mainstream user to use hassio (better said Home Assistant).

For new users this naming scheme is a no-brainer I think, but I understand that the community that already use HA in one way or another can find this confusing. The thing is (and was the reason I commented about this in the first place) the forums are full of questions about the differences between HA and Hassio and they will remain there for quite some time. I often find some information that I think is useful only to find out it no longer works or is outdated. (this is not a problem btw, it’s just how forums work in general). I do however think it might pose problems for new users not understanding why people talk about hassio.

But again, admittedly with your explanation it does make sense.

1 Like

Yes, we realize this takes time to heal. However, the old situation was not good as well. We are looking forward to the future and v1.0. We need to fix things now, the longer we wait, the bigger the issue becomes.

1 Like

Annotation 2020-01-29 212045

2 Likes

Last part of the blog post @123

This name change is a huge thing! Not just a big thing we all need to get used to, but even bigger for everything that needs to be renamed! It definitely takes a couple of weeks to get the main parts re-branded.

So bear with us while we do so.

Makes sense to me, great bold step that needed to be made to setup for future success!

1 Like

I wasn’t trying to light a fire under anyone’s azz, it was more of a question about how that entire sub-forum, dedicated to the discussion of hass.io, will be handled. The sub-forum can’t simply be renamed to “Home Assistant” because the entire community forum is about “Home Assistant” (makes it seem recursive).

Perhaps the solution is to lock the hass.io sub-forum, to serve as an archived reference?

1 Like

Those problems can be solved in many ways and we are currently discussing the approach for that. So, just sit back, relax, we’ll fix it :+1:

1 Like

:+1:

I think its all great to clear up the naming but I have to agree with this. Home Assistant has always been Home Assistant and since the beginning (at least as long as I’ve used it) has always meant virtualenv install. But now Home Assistant is Home Assistant Core and what used to be Hassio is now Home Assistant?

Suddenly now years worth of internet posts and YouTube videos that used to refer to Home Assistant (as it always was in a virtualenv) are now referring to what to what used to be Hassio? So if you use google to try and research something Home Assistant in a post, you have to know that if the post was made before last week it means HA in a virtualenv or docker but if the post is made after Jan 2020 then it referrers to a different Home Assistant (previously Hass.io)

How do we go back change the years of established internet to rename everything to the new naming convention?

2 Likes

Posts and videos that were years old were out of date anyway, no matter what the names were.

10 Likes

:thinking: That is an excellent point…