Cheap eBay WiFi heating controller,

:wink: looks like we’re all the same, can’t wait to play with our toys !

I’ve had this connected to a plug 10mn after I got the packages and it ran like this until today when I finally had time to plug it to my boiler.
Works as expected, I just forgot that the boiler running will increase the temp, so much that I had to set the temperature much higher than I thought (25 -> 30°). I don’t use the thermostat temperature to decide whether I should turn the boiler on or not, I have several other rules (including Xiaomi Aqara temp sensors), but still, it will stop if the read temperature is above the set temperature.

When you’ll plug it, use a long wire…

1 Like

For some silly reason the location of mine is in the hall, which is always warm, even when the rooms are cold.

I suspect I’ll use it just to report temperature and use my Bruh sensors to trigger it.
Need to cut a hole in the wall, prob not do it till next monday now, when input you my ubiquiti WiFi ( the money I didn’t spend on a nest)

What’s nice with HA, you can use whatever you want to trigger !

I’m looking for a way to use the external temperature too. Right now, I created a template sensor, using 2 aqara (weight 2 each), the heating thermostat (weight 1), the min value of those 3 (weight 1).
I tested using the external temp with a 0,5 weight, it’s nice to start earlier when temperature drops inside, but it lets heating on for too long.
It’s the right time to experiment, winter is coming ! :cold_face:

Wait what?
This sounds like witchcraft to me ! Do you have some crayons to bring it down a bit for me, as U’ve caught my interest.

Well, I’ll try to keep it simple : see this thermostat as 2 components. It has a temperature sensor and a switch that controls the boiler. Let’s name those sensor and switch for the following. Those 2 can work together or not.
If you use only the thermostat alone, the sensor is the only thing that decides to turn on/off the switch. Something like sensor → switch.

Now, let’s put HA in this. HA controls the switch, the sensor isn’t directly needed. But the sensor can bring information to HA. So we get : sensor → HA → switch.

Now, let’s add more sensors : I want the bathroom to be hot when I wake up ? I put a thermostat in there, and HA does the work. And it goes : bathroom sensor → HA → switch.
Note that you don’t care about the temperature the thermostat brings.
You can add any temperature sensor that is compatible with HA, as much as it makes sense to you. Nice !

You can also have several devices to turn. A towel dryer in the bathroom, thermostatic valves that you can link to the main heating. It is now : sensor → HA → switch1/switch2…

But, there is one limit to the switching for this thermostat : even if you force the thermostat to “heating”, if it detects the temperature is already above the limit, it won’t start. So the switch won’t be to only turn to “heating” but also to set a high temperature to ensure it will work.
Something like :

action:
    - service: climate.set_temperature
      data:
        entity_id: climate.thermostat
        operation_mode: 'heat'
        temperature: 27
    - service: climate.set_operation_mode
      data:
        operation_mode: 'heat'

Now, for monitoring reasons mostly, I created a sensor that calculates the reference temperature at home. It’s a mean between several sensors, giving more importance to one or another : I want the temperature sensors that are in the bathroom and in the living room to have more impact than the thermostat sensor that is in the basement. And I also increased the importance of the lowest value, to force the heating to start a bit earlier. That’s what I try to improve, using other inputs, like external temperature.
The sensor is like this :

temperature_maison:
    friendly_name: "Température moyenne"
    unit_of_measurement: '°C'
    value_template: "{{ (([states.sensor.temperature_158d000227327d.state | float, states.sensor.temperature_158d00022880d3.state | float, states.climate.thermostat.attributes['current_temperature'] | float] | min + states.sensor.temperature_158d000227327d.state | float * 2 + states.sensor.temperature_158d00022880d3.state | float * 2 + states.climate.thermostat.attributes['current_temperature'] | float) /6) | round(2) }}"

Then the automation uses this value as one (of several) trigger. I use templates because I have an input_number to change the temperature I want at home easily.
As a basic example, this is the automation that stops heating if the mean temperature is 0.5° above the limit, or if a window is opened for more than 5 minutes :

- alias: 'A_ Chauffage central haut Stop'
  trigger:
    - platform: template
      value_template: "{{ (states.sensor.temperature_maison.state | float) >= ((states.input_number.consigne_haut.state | float) + 0.5) }}"
    - platform: state
      entity_id: group.fenetres
      to: 'on'
      for:
        minutes: 5
  action:
    - service: light.turn_off
      data:
        entity_id: light.gateway_light_7811dcb06b6b
    - service: climate.set_operation_mode
      data:
        operation_mode: 'off'

Note the light.turn_off : I’ve been testing this for months now, only adding the real thermostat last week. Heating is the kind of thing you’re not messing with if you don’t want complaints from wife and kids :smile:

2 Likes

Wow…
So kinda like a bayesian sensor that people use for is someone home.

Yes, I have this too. A “somebody_home” sensor depending on several object : our phones, computers, media_player and so on.
But the bayesian is a BINARY sensor, it’s true or false. The template sensor brings continuous value for the temperature. I use it both for start and stop.

Sure, bayesian binary sensor could be used to detect if the thermostat should be turned on, as long as you can use status of sensors seen in HA.
The point is : let HA do the maths, not the thermostat !

2 Likes

So the screws that come with it are the wrong thread, so I’ve had to steal one from a light switch to get it screwed in.

Just trying to get the right wiring as I thought I switched the live for my heating, but it didn’t seem to work, now just trying to get it right before it gets too cold in my flat and the wife shouts at me !

Mine arrived the other day but I need to get some cable to attach it to the boiler (there’s currently no controller on the boiler at all, just on/off).

Hope you get it up and running :slight_smile:

1 Like

Working.
This was my Danfoss RX1
Black for boiler
Grey for Neural
Brown for Live

This is my working eBay thermostat

I believe my boiler is a normally open (no voltage on sensor wire) and it closes (allows voltage when when you need heat)

But does it blend work with homeassistant? :wink:

Yours is (presumably!) different to mine for connection, on my boiler I’ve got this…

So I’m thinking live/neutral piggy backed from the top 2, and then load in and out to the bottom 2, does that sound right to you?

(so like if you put your picture of the back of the thermostat to the left of my picture of the wiring diagram the connections pretty much line up (ignoring the earth wire))

I think so, but as my Danfoss had a link/piggyback from live, but on my new one I didn’t need it. I took power for the live in for its power

I don’t know. Seems like boilers are different from country to country !
I have something quite similar to yours, with live/neutral/earth terminals, but the 1/2 loop ain’t 220V but 24V. So I used the terminals 5 and 6 that are a dry relay on mine ?
On cooljimy84 model, looks like an external sensor ?

What are your connections on the therrmostat ?
Terminal 1 and 2 are both live, so either you have the relay version on terminals 5 & 6 of the thermistat and you should ensure it can handle 220V. Or you wire the live output (terminal 1 of the thermostat) to terminal 2 of the boiler. But ensure that this thermostat output has enough power for your boiler ?

My thermostat is identical to @cooljimy84 , 5&6 are for the external sensor (which came in the box), 3&4 are power for the unit and I presumed that 1&2 were the control loop (which match 1&2 on the boiler, but the other way round if I wanted to be pedantic).

That’s what threw me because @cooljimy84 only has one control wire, so is it getting its power from terminal 3 and sending a signal down 1?

Looks that way, I wired up a jumper live from the live to the unit (like the Danfoss in my first pic) I tested but nothing worked on the boiler (more importantly nothing went bang) I then tried the final pic setup and looking at my ‘docs’ for the new thermostat I saw the last example had Live and Neutral then next to the outputs the words open, closed, which I guessed might mean normally open, and normally closed.

1 Like

Well, I think I shall -

• get some 4 core
  • piggy-back the live/neutral
  • wire the load in/out from pins 1/2
  • wait until I’m alone in the house
  • cross fingers
  • stand away from it with a fire extinguisher
  • switch the power back on

What’s the worst that could happen? :wink:

Few more for your list.

• Tell a friend to phone you half way through.

• Don’t bother with checking for spare parts and part numbers of your boiler, as you can always scrape the scoot off the control board when you blow it up.

:joy:

1 Like

I’m going to update my will to make sure that this thread gets updated in the aftermath of any violent deaths involving thermostats, so you’ll all know whether it works one way or another…

:cold_sweat::scream::skull_and_crossbones::ghost: etc etc…

Ok, I think you shouldn’t touch this if you’re not sure ! You should call a pro, even if it’s no warranty : my contractor has blown the main card of my boiler when he plugged the 220V power into the 24V board… Even if he was a Wiessmann official.
At least, it didn’t cost me anything, apart from a week without heat nor hot water.

Disclaimer : this has nothing to do with the above mentioned thermostat and nothing burned when I installed it :wink: