Cheap Light Switch

Hello Community,

I’m very new in that topic and wondering me if there is a a cheap solution to customize my light switches with a receiver, that I can control my light switches with Home Assistant. Any hints or alternatives I can work with?

Thanks in advance!

It might be helpful if you defined what you are trying to accomplish and what part of the world you are in.

Look here at http://www.bruhautomation.com/ and his video The Cheapest Tech - $6 DIY Internet of Things Smart Outlets
I think you will all answers in very very simple and good way :slight_smile: I like all his video.

1 Like

I’m living in Germany.

Basically I would like to control my ceiling light via HomeAssistant. Surely I can use a MiLight which is cheap and easy to integrate, but the whole automation stops in that moment somebody will use the good old light switch. I’m looking after a possibility to use our light switches in the old school way, which means “push to activate” and I can control the switch via WiFi / 433Mhz rf receiver / whatever.

I hope it’s more clear now? Thanks in Advance!

Unfortunately http://www.bruhautomation.com/ don’t have an answer to that requirement.

2 Likes

i am going to implement some of those in the near future but a cheap way i havent found.
i think it is going to be z-wave.

if there is a cheaper way i would be interested to, but i couldnt find 1 until now

Personally I choose ITEAD SONOFF

Hope to change the firmware to micropython and use the old switch to connect to the sonoff button.
So the old way can also be used like a pair of 2 position switches.

Need to program the changes of state of wall switch as a signal to turn on or turn off depending of current state of the light.

the idea is nice but not easy.
and certainly not if you want to use the place from an old switch build into a brick wall.

There is always should be the box with wires coming from wall switch. So it will be possible to rewire it there. And wire it to the button of sonoff.
If the wires like it:

And this box is also the place to connect the device sonoff.

in an old house with brick walls the connectionboxes are also to small to put away such a device.
but yeah it would be a nice way.

now you got me thinking i can do something like that with an arduino and a relayswitch also.
wouldnt cost much more and i can program that the way i like.
that way i could also use that position to connect other sensors.
and 2 switches wouldnt take much more space.

Thanks guys - I found what I need here: http://www.banggood.com/Livolo-White-Glass-Panel-Remote-Touch-Switch-EU-Standard-VL-C701R-11-p-973848.html?rmmds=cart

@HA_Rookie interesting. They are z-wave? Let us know how they are performing.

No, they are working via RF 433Mhz.

for that price i would probably go to zwave.
its just a little bit more expensive but then you have 2 way control.
with this switch you will never be sure if the signal send from HA will have reached the switch

I know, but 40€+ each switch is too expensive for me just be sure the signal sent to the switch successfully, but I agree with you that is definitely a better solution.

the cheapest zwave i found on amazon was 26 euro

Can you provide the link?

sorry, i forgot that was without the front.
its a 2 time switch, so thats nice.

i will probable make my own front for this.

1 Like

Are you sure Z-Wave Me is compatible with Home-Assistant? Keep informed if you get managed it working.

HA is 100% compatible with zwave if i understand it right, and according to the website from that switch they use international zwave protocol.

https://z-wave.me

the picture didnt show it, but that switch is nothing more than a remotecontrol that you can place on your wall.
to bad, because that was about the only thing i found that is cheap enough for me.

i will go the arduino way :wink:
that way i will stay less then 10 euro pro wallswitch.
only on a few places i will have to create a box on the brick walls where i can put away the electronics.