Cheap solution for Alarm Sirens with battery backup

Yeah I’m aware of rolling codes, but it wasn’t that.

I ended up using a BroadLink RM pro to read/send the RF signals and that has worked fine since.

Cheers, Why did you stop using F8?
Looks like F8 also works fine with SJ1.

I swapped out my RPi for a tinyPC, so no longer had the rpi outputs.

Hi,

I’ve been reading this thread with interest and was wondering if you would be happy to describe your latest setup in terms of hardware along with a basic description of how it works (assuming you’re still happy with it!). Very keen to roll my own alarm system and this looks ideal…

Hey,
The only components I’m still using from my initial build are the kerui RF sirens and RF remotes.
All my sensors I have now transitioned to either zwave PIR or zigbee door/window sensors.

I’m using the Alarmo integration, and arming/disarming is pretty much completely automated based on location. It works pretty flawlessly.

I don’t have any control panels because with the automations, we don’t really have a need for it. We don’t really have anyone come to the house without us there, so there’s never really been a need for an alarm panel.

And even if we do remotely let someone in, we just disable the alarm from our phones.

Happy to answer any setup or hardware questions you may have. :slight_smile:

Thanks very much for the update.

I was mostly interested in the siren side of the hardware/setup as I think you’d moved on from using a Pi to trigger the remote. Frankly just to get it going I’d happily copy someone who is content with their setup (i.e. you!). :slightly_smiling_face:

The Alarmo integration sounds interesting, I’ll check that out. I’m finding location detection a bit poor at the moment (my wife has an iPhone and it randomly decides it’s not around, presumably because it goes to sleep). Also the iCloud integration constantly wants to be reconnected. But if I have to manually arm the alarm from my phone, that’ll do for now.

I definitely don’t need a panel. I’ll use an old phone if I have to or just our own.

On the trigger side at the moment I’m attempting to do everything with WiFi (using Shelly D/W sensors) but the poor power consumption is irritating and I actually can’t get them working at the moment. I was considering hardwiring them in at some point but…

…I mostly intend to use cameras with AI driven people detection (eventually with a Google Coral device when they come back in stock) to trigger the alarm, before the intruder actually breaks into the house!

So it’s really just the siren and trigger mechanism that would be most helpful right now.

Thanks again.

So the two sirens I’m using are the Kerui J009 for inside and the SJ1 Solar siren for outdoors.

Both have rechargeable batteries, so I don’t have to worry about losing power (or power being cut off by potential thieves). Also, I have a UPS that powers Home Assistant, my NBN NTB and router, so the alarm is still fully operational with notifications if something was to happen.

In terms of triggering the sirens, I tried using a Sonoff RF bridge, but unfortunately it would not send the commands consistently. No idea why. But I had a broadlink RM3 Pro lying around, and that sends the commands perfectly fine.

However, to get the RF remotes working (which we almost never use now), I still utilise the Sonoff RF bridge, as the broadlink cannot receive RF signals.

Furthermore, the remotes are needed to pair directly to the sirens, so you can create a makeshift alarm system, and pull the RF codes that trigger the sirens. If you pair both sirens at once, the same RF signal will trigger both sirens simultaneously. You could also create two “systems” and have two different RF signals, one for each siren. However, when sending these codes, be weary that you’ll want a split second delay with your automations, as often you cannot send multiple RF signals simultaneously reliably.

Once you have pulled the RF codes, unpair the remotes from the sirens, and then you can use all the hardware individually directly from HA.

BONUS TIP: There are also arming and disarming sounds that can be enabled when using the remote. You can also learn these RF codes separately and utilise them in your automations if you wish.

That’s great thanks. I’ve read that the solar version doesn’t work too well in the UK and I’d probably be putting it on an outside wall so I might save a bit and go with the J008 you first used if that’s the only difference (I think it also had a battery).

I wasn’t going to bother with an indoor siren but that might be a future addition.

I don’t suppose you know of a device that can both send and receive the necessary signals? It seems mad that two devices are required and I don’t have either lying about like you did :slightly_smiling_face:

Sounds like I need the remotes for learning the various codes otherwise I’d do without them entirely.

The J008 will just need a power source. And if you’re running a wire for a power source, you could get any cheap siren, and power up an esp8266 and a relay and use that to trigger the siren instead. However, unless the power source has back up battery, this unit won’t work if you lose power.

Unless you’re going to use the remotes to enable/disable the alarm via home assistant, you won’t need a device that can receive signals into HA.
I’d just get the BroadLink, discover the codes that the remotes send to the sirens, and then use them in your automations.

No need for the sonoff RF bridge.

Thanks, that’s really helpful and clarifies a couple of things I was missing. So I just need to pick a siren (and its remotes) get the broadlink and I’m set.

I do like the idea of a backup battery in the siren because, like you, I have a UPS powering every other element of the system (POE Switch for the cameras, HA server, router and fibre modem). But I think the J008 has a battery so presumably I’d be okay if the power was cut (or perhaps it wouldn’t last?).

AliExpress reviews suggest the J008 isn’t waterproof. The listings state it is so I don’t know if that’s just a dodgy seller or dodgy kit (or both!).

I’m afraid a quick Google of the esp8266 makes that route seem a little out of my comfort zone (with unlimited time perhaps not!).

Don’t think any of them are completely waterproof, but should be ok if under an eave or something. I think it had a rubber seal from memory, but there are holes in the back, so it’s a little bit redundant.

If it’s going to be really exposed to the elements, and little bit of silicone to seal it should work fine.

It does have a back up battery though, so it’ll be the simplest to setup I think.

Looks like there is new firmware for the Sonoff RF Bridge (Portisch) which supports more rf signals, so it might be an option vs the broadlink afterall.

Oh no, not more options :slight_smile: !

Thanks for the tips on the waterproofing, there isn’t much protection where I intend to put it so I’ll do as you suggest.

It’s just occurred to me that if I get the J008 then I need to get the F8 Transmitter and start messing about with the Pi. I’d rather not have to do the latter (mostly due to time) so perhaps the SJ1 plus a single remote and the Broadcom (4 presumably ok rather than 3 which seems less available) remains the way forward…?

The J008 will also pair directly to a remote control, so you can sniff the RF codes.

Interesting summary here: https://www.reddit.com/r/homeautomation/comments/jmr87m/my_experience_with_rf_bridges/

Seems to suggest that the Broadlink doesn’t allow a local API… I may be misunderstanding but I’d prefer everything to be local if possible. Does this push me down the Sonoff with Tasmota route (not sure how much extra kit I’d need to do that) or perhaps the more expensive Bond Bridge he mentions (though not sure how easy it will be to source that in the UK)!?

So easy to head off down a rabbit hole with this stuff!

Ah okay, I did wonder that, thanks.

Furthermore I’m going to have think about range as I have one/two thick solid walls and two floors to go through between the RF Bridge and the siren… If the Broadlink was POE that would help as I could site that very close to the siren or I might have to run a long power cable from my UPS for the bridge… Or perhaps the 433Mhz penetration will be sufficient…

Okay fine, you’ve twisted my arm! Here’s what I’m thinking…

Does that cover everything I need?

Hahaha - I think that’s everything you need!

I’d be curious to retry using the sonoff with the new firmware - you’ll have to let me know if it’s successful for you.

With the devices using USB power, you could always plug them into a USB portable charger, and then plug that into a power adapter. That way you can place it somewhere to help with range, but still not lose that backup function.

Well it would be nice to repay the favour!

Good idea on the usb charger, or perhaps something like this (haven’t checked the voltages):

But let’s not get carried away. With any luck the Sonoff will reach the Siren through the various obstacles I put in its way!

Will keep you posted…

@haphassard I’m interested to see how you get on with this as well. I was looking at the SJ1 as it’s the closet thing to a Zigbee Outdoor Siren that I could find. I’m wondering how much power the panel actually generates and the possibility of hacking it to fit a Tuya Zigbee siren. Probably unlikely seeing as the latter is mains powered.

I also came across this one which has a big panel on it and claims to last a lot longer without sun.