Cheaper WiFi Light Switch Amazon- Kuled

I just wanted to show the latest switch to my house.

I needed a Rocker switch that I could flash Tasmota to and read a few ppl out there used a generic switch from amazon.

I found this brand 37.99 for 2. Kuled.

Smart Wifi Light Switch, No Hub Required, Phone Remote Control Wireless Decora Switc… https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079FDTG7T/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_c_api_izUPBbBFKNXSH

But I couldn’t find anyone that successfully flashed tasmota to it. Well I just purchased it and tried. I have a picture of where the connectors are and they are really easy to get to after 4 screws.

I needed them to be timed lights and I like that tasmota works on its own without the front end of home assistant. Plus I worry about the software installed and wonder if there is anything sent about my WiFi. Paranoid I guess

Just thought I’d share it can be done.

I flashed just like I would a sonoff and used sonoff touch module for the configurator.

Works great. I was suprised that it did!!

2 Likes

Care to share the details? What board? Flash Mode? Flash Size? Where is GPIO0?

Gpio I couldn’t find. I’m pretty new to all of this.

I just use a custom edited tasmota English. So whatever size that is. After I change the new version of tasmota to my long and lat then add a few other custom details to the config I save in ATOM and flash all of my sonoffs.

The size is usually around 475kb. It connects to my time zone and daylight savings. Mainly so I can use sunset and sunrise for the lights.

I just hold the main button while I plugged it in and use this to connect and flash.

Qunqi 3.3V 5.5V FT232RL FTDI USB to TTL Serial Adapter Module for Arduino Mini Port https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014Y1IMNM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_nYWPBb4Z0GQSZ

The flash software is ESPEasy

The tutorial I originally used was from Dr ZZS on YouTube. But now I custom edit the tasmota firmware in ATOM to set a few settings for my area.

Any future updates are OTA

This would definitely be better than cramming a Sonoff Basic behind a switch.

I’ve used these and flashed them with tasmota. I love them. Inexpense and super easy to flash! I really like having the physical push button instead of just a touch one. The LEDs are pretty bright on them though, and green=OFF red=ON which seems odd to me. I use the double-tap of tasmota to control other stuff as well.

2 Likes

When they are disconnected from WiFi do they still function normally?

It’s nice to see they are ETL tested also. (ETL basically = UL)

1 Like

I haven’t tried. I’ll check today to see if they still function.

Yeah the red and green should be reversed in my opinion.

If anyone knows if there is a setting in tasmota please let me know. I was messing with ledpower and ledstate but I thought I might mess things up so I just let it be.

Since my early days as an electrician, a red indicator has always meant that the power is on. You learn early that if the red light is on, stop.

According to the ANSI standard, signs, placards and indicator lights appropriate colors are defined as follows:

• Caution (yellow): Indicates a hazardous situation that, if not avoided, could result in minor or moderate injury
• Warning (orange): Indicates a hazardous situation that, if not avoided, could result in death or serious injury
• Danger (red): Indicates a hazardous situation that, if not avoided, will result in death or serious injury

O wow, these are really nice for the price. I bet the led color/status can be changed in tasmota if it’s ran by the esp chip. I’m interested to see if it functions without WiFi. If so I think I’ve found a new switch to test with.

Confirmed that they still function without WiFi.

Mine just blink rapidly. I think trying to find a signsl

Thanks! Good to hear!

Are these dimmable or is it just on/off?

Just on/off.

I think the red led is tied to the relay, so no changing that one. The green led is on a gpio so you can do whatever you want with that one. I haven’t confirmed the red led/relay connection though.

Thanks for posting this.
Been looking for a cheap wifi or zwave switch.

Thanks
Randy

Not dimmable. Just in off. 15 amps and UL for less then 20 though. Plus I can use tasmota which is a plus for me and what I use them for.

Where did you pick these up from?

I got mine from the link in the OP. Amazon.

1 Like

Unsolder and flip the 3-legged LED around to reverse the colors.

1 Like

So one snag I’ve seen with these.

If I unplug the raspberry pi full reboot the state of the switch doesn’t sync.

So if it’s off it shows off, but if it’s on and I turn the pi off and on again it doesn’t sync and shows off.

If I just do a reboot after I click it on it shows on.

Only if I get power loss.

Any suggestions?