Checkmk 2.0 network monitoring add-on WIP

Hi all, after lurking here for a while I decided it was time to share something I’m working on.

I have been using Checkmk as a network montoring system on my raspberry for ages. As far as I’m concerned it is the most feature complete montoring system that also has a modern feel:

That is why I’ve decided to make an add-on so that all hassio users can enjoy this tool more easily. Raspberry Pi only for now, sorry.

The add-on uses a docker container I’ve created that runs Checkmk 2.0 on Raspberry Pi. Source to the container here: GitHub - rogierg/rpi-checkmk: Check_mk 2.0 as a docker container for Raspberry Pi/ARM7 based on chrisss404/check-mk-arm.

Adding this add-ons repository to your Hass.io Home Assistant instance is pretty easy. Follow the official instruction on the website of Home Assistant, and use the following URL:

https://github.com/rogierg/hassio-addons

After starting check the logs for the credentials. You should then be able to log in on http://[host_ip]:5000/mon/check_mk/

There is still some work to do before I’m happy with the way it works:

• The container needs some work still, especially the image size is not to my liking.
  • Investigate using GitHub Actions to build ARM-based Docker Images instead of local builds.
  • I’ve not been able to get the Checkmk configuration to be stored in the Hass.io structure. Data is stored in /omd/sites/mon in the container but symlinking /config to that folder does not work. Also I’ve not had success with adjusting the path in the configuration of Checkmk.

Future work:

• Make ports configurable from Hass.io
  • Create an integration with Hass.io for a quick overview
  • Use integrated authentication
6 Likes

@nickrout: you mentioned that the source was not linked in my post. I think I have fixed that now, let me know if you disagree.

can you make x64 version? I’m running hassio on an Intel nuc proxmox vm

I agree. Thank you.

Probably. As soon as I have set-up automatic builds from GitHub, I can probably support more architectures.

So… while the docker implementation is fine I’m running into problems with the mapping of the hassio directories. Checkmk uses /omd symlinked to the actual location on disk (/opt/omd/…). I’ve tried mapping config and then symlinking /omd to /config but this does not work as expected.

Is there any way to specify to which guest location a hassio directory should map? (So that I can mount it in /opt) Or any other tricks I might consider?

If the setup is per your github, ie

-v /opt/omd/sites:/opt/omd/sites

Why not simply use

-v /opt/omd/:/config/omd

In docker that would work fine and it does. But what I’m looking for is some way of doing that in Hass.io. Do you mean that I can do these volume mappings in Hass.io as well?

There is no hass.io, but home assistant addons use docker, so yes.

do we have x64 version already :slight_smile:

checkmk is available in Docker

Is there any working check_mk add-on available somewhere?

Does the addon in post 1 not work for you?

nope, it is made for armv7 (RPi3) and not for arm64 (RPi4).
Along with other things that are not so good, like old version, no ingress via home assistant ui, and without in detail inspection i guess there is no backup of the data.

Are you using it? Does it perform well?

I did some quick play and using the information from post 1 I created some add-on for my Pi4.

First of all, yes, it works.

But, for me the biggest issue is memory usage.

With peaks around 1.5GB I killed my RPi4 4GB and had to cold reboot. Swapping Kills. When stopping nearly everything I was able to have a little test. Performance seems to be pretty low with just 2 hosts using agent-based checks.

Not sure if i am going to invest more time on that.