Chrome stuck on "Loading data" screen on Nexus 7

Hi there,

I just got myself an (old) Nexus 7 tablet to use as a control screen, but when I try to access the home assistant page with chrome, it is stuck on the “loading data” page once I type my password.

I tried using firefox on the same device and it works perfectly. I have no problem with any of my other computers or devices.
I tried with IP and hostname of the server (on RPi3), all in the same local network, no difference.

It’s Chrome version 380.2125.509, on Android 5.1.1

HADashboard works fine on Chrome by the way. So I guess it must be related to the browser, but has anyone ever faced this issue ?

Thanks !

If it is a Nexus 7 2012 model expect problems. I have one and know. It runs slow and programs freeze on occasion. There are customs ROM’s out there, but I just haven’t put one one it. They say that will solve the problems even the slow charging.

I don’t use the stable Chrome browser, but one of the other builds. I use either Chrome Beta or Canary. Canary is the Chrome daily build and some times you go a day with it not working till the next release. In that case, I use the beta version. HA has always worked fine in the beta and Canary versions of Chrome. Can’t say for the stable chrome as I’ve always had problems with it on the Nexus 7.

Damn ! Yes it is the 2012 version. I haven’t played a lot wih it yet, so I don’t know how it behaves with other programs.

I read about some other roms, but I dont think I will go for that, its main purpose is to display HADashbord, and it works for that aspect.
Yet I’m not 100% happy with it, because I found out too late that it has no proximity sensor to turn on the screen.

May be I’ll go with the 2013 version, do you know if there is that kind of issues as well ?

Anyway, thanks for the reply !

I’ll try to find out was is the technical problem behind this, cause it’s weird to have this behaviour on this special combination of Chrome + nexus 7…
I saw some people having the same effects, but when trying to access HA from outside the network, but that is not my case.
If someone has clues…

Can’t answer any questions on the 2013 model. Have heard it’s better, but can not say. On the 2012, app updates can take forever compared to other android devices.

Another problem I have is that it will drop wifi connection and only a reboot will reconnect. It may go a week or two and then you may have to reboot every time you pick it up one day. Then it will go awhile before it happens again. Very annoying.

I’m looking for another small tablet Since I do not prefer Samsung devices, that leaves my options small as most of the major manufacturers have stopped making them.

Well that’s a bit of disappointment for my first android device :sweat_smile:
I’m in the same situation as you, I’d rather not go with samsung or tablets that do not have the “raw” android os.
I looked the 2013 models, but it’s more than twice the price of the one I got.

Edit :
I just installed the update for Chrome, and now it works !!
The version of Chrome is now 56.0.2924.87, which is quite far of the version I had previously… Either I read the wrong number or I had a really old one…

I found out that my noname 7" Tablet hangs at the same point when I change the dpi of the display. Some dpi settings work, others hang “loading data”…