Endless "Loading data" on log screen of home assistant

Hi everyone

There is a problem that keep coming for time to time, it’s the logging screen stuck on “Loading data”.
I had a similar problem on a tablet, I created a topic on it, but then the problem occurs on my main computer, only with firefox (so far). I as never occurred on safari.

From time to time I’m asked to log in again, and then I cannot access the main page because it stays on the “loading data”.

I searched on the forums, it seems that i’m not alone, several people have this issue in different circumstances but there never were a definite answer on what causing it and how to resolve it.

In the documentation for installation this “loading data” thing is known, the solution is to delete cookies for home assistant. But in my case there is no cookie to delete ! At least I can’t find any in the firefox settings (ip on hostname of my server).

My home assistant instance is hosted on a raspberry pi, with a virtual env installation, and the issue is not specific to one version, I have it for a long time.

So I create this topic to track down this issue, and may be centralize all questions relative to that.

I the meantime, what can I do to analyze the problem ? I don’t know if it is a browser only problem, or also on server-side.
What log could be useful ?

Thanks !

Just a question: How big is your home-assistant_v2.db file in the config directory?

The database has a size of 441MB (and the log file 866MB…)

It seems quite large to me, given that this installation is not really old. I think it is my sensors that send data too frequently. I’ll have to look at the history settings to purge old data.

But anyway, you think it could be related ?

1 Like

Do you have your logging configured as “debug”?

I didn’t specified anything in the configuration file about logging.
But I have logbook enabled in case it is relevant.

Logbook should be enabled.

The only thing that you might want to look into is the purge_days option of the recorder: https://home-assistant.io/components/recorder/

The logbook and history are a view into what is specified in the recorder. You can limit the domains that actually go into the database with the recorder component if you so please, in addition to using purge_days.

Yes it was indeed what I saw for the logbook settings, I’ll tune that.

But to come back to the original problem, the “loading data” screen, it cannot be directly linked because today Firefox logged me in automatically, without asking for password (it is stored into firefox “vault”) and I could access the page without issue…

So for now I don’t know what is going on.

Hi

I faced this issue again, so I looked deeper into it, and I found out how to solve it.

In the console there was the message “NS_ERROR_FILE_CORRUPTED” on a javascript file when I tried to log in on home assistant.
The problem seems caused by firefox “loosing” data in the “DOM storage”.

I ended deleting the webappsstore.sqlite file in the Firefox profile storage folder : https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/profiles-where-firefox-stores-user-data

Then it worked, I could log in.

It might be an “extreme” solution as you might loose some profile data for other sites, but Firefox recreates the file when needed.
I installed an extension that it is supposed to delete data only for the current tab. I’ll test if it works and report here.

I I had the same issue but thanks to this I deleted the cookies and I am back online… Thank you for the information and keep this online so others can find this page!

Can anyone help me my Hassio stuck at udevd[10] : Startubg eudev : Starting eudev-3.2.5.

I have installed hassio just before 4 hours.