Chromecast "entity_picture: null" when casting from plex?

Hi there,

I have Chromecast Ultra that we often stream to from our phones using plex.
When we do this, the chrome cast integration doesn’t show an entity_picture, however if we stream from something like youtube it will.

I was wondering if anyone knows if it is possible to set the “entity_picture” when casting from plex?
I have included an example of what I am talking about below:

media_content_id: 933
media_content_type: tvshow
player_source: session
friendly_name: Plex (Plex Cast - Chromecast)
entity_picture: >-
  /api/media_player_proxy/media_player.living_room_plex?token=e5a0e05ae39b52994323d9cba20bda88741454b6814b60d4b235de5f0b30c103&cache=f96bfdfa962bc20a
supported_features: 131584
media_content_id: /library/metadata/933
media_content_type: movie
app_id: 9AC194DC
app_name: Plex
entity_picture_local: null
friendly_name: Living Room TV
supported_features: 152463

Fairly new user here. I’m having the same problem.

Did you ever find a solution for this?

Hey there Braedz,

I am having exactly the same problem. When i cast from youtube it works and i can see the thumbnail of the video but when i cast from Plex it remains blank.

Did you ever find a solution to this? I would like to use Color Extractor based on the picture_entity but i am unable to do so…

Thanks for letting me know
M

Hi both,

No I never found a solution to this, so I gave up

I have the same issue. I’m curious if this works normally for anybody. So I can figure out if this is a Plex problem, or a configuration problem.

Been looking into this myself.
I think it is related to the plex media player not having a property declared to fill that role. In theory, it should either generate a call using the plex image proxy /api/plex_image_proxy/{server_id}/{media_content_id}
or using the plex api. I saw the above being used in the media browser code when navigating via the hass ui.

Here are how a bunch of the other media players have that field set, search this in git: repo:home-assistant/core entity_picture path:/^homeassistant\/components\//

I am going to see if I can get a working version together and submit a PR in the new year.

Relevant code:

1 Like

Have you ever had a chance to work on this?

I currently use a “template media player” custom integration and this code to achieve this: Home-Assistant-Config/includes/template_media_player.yaml at e2bbeb076dbf8bee7cae17f6263b20dbc3ab41fc · maxi1134/Home-Assistant-Config · GitHub

But would love a native function! I can pay some coffees.