Cloudless Windows 10 Notification

Provide cloudless Windows10 Notifications with the use of Windows PowerShell. Inspired by an article “Netzwerkpost” published in c’t 8/2020 p. 158. https://ct.de

First, we need Windows PowerShell with the module „BurntToast” installed: https://github.com/Windos/BurntToast. Verification: The following PowerShell command produces a two-line Notification:

Toast  -Text "Hallo", "Do you read me?"

Next, we need to setup a UDP connection between Home Assistant and the Windows 10 engine:

A simple ps1-script listens on UDP port 514 for incoming notifications:

# original file published by c't: notify.ps1 
# Stellen Sie hier den Port ein, auf dem das Skript lauschen soll
param( $address="any", $port=514 )

# Speicherort des Powershell-Skripts herausfinden
$ScriptDir = Split-Path $script:MyInvocation.MyCommand.Path

# UDP-Socket öffnen
$endpoint = new-object System.Net.IPEndPoint([IPAddress]::$address, $port)
$udpclient = new-object System.Net.Sockets.UdpClient $port

# Begruessung ausgeben
Write-Host -ForegroundColor Cyan "*** UDP Notification-Receiver, listens on port $($port) ***"

# Eingehende UDP-Pakete verarbeiten
while( $true )
{
	if( $udpclient.Available )
	{	# UDP-Paket auswerten und Benachrichtigung anzeigen
		$udpmessage = $([Text.Encoding]::UTF8.GetString($udpclient.Receive([ref]$endpoint)))
		# Modification: Define first 25 character of UDP string  as Title, and the rest as Message
        	$title = $udpmessage.Substring(0,25)
        	$message = $udpmessage.Substring(25)
		Toast -AppLogo $ScriptDir\ha.png -Silent -Text  $title ,  $message
	}
	# Abfrageschleife verzoegern, um CPU-Auslastung auf ein Minimum zu reduzieren
	Start-Sleep -s 2
}

Specify the logo and IP to your needs. For continuous use, call this this script in Autostart.

On the Home Assistant side: Provide in configuration.yaml a new Notification definition, using pipes:

notify:
      - name: win10desktop   
        platform: command_line
        command:  "cat | nc -u 192.168.178.19 514"

An action call in automation.yaml will generate a notification:

action:
          - service: notify.win10desktop
            data:

The result:
win10notify

7 Likes

Very cool - this is just a static notification right?

Is it possible to make notifications on WIN10 actionable? For example, I have IOTlink running as a service on my main laptop, which exposes the idle time of the laptop. I’d like to be asked by HA if I’d like to turn a light on if the idle time on my laptop is under gets reset to zero.

I had this working when using ha OS. I have since switched over to running pi os lite with ha supervised installed and I cannot get to work. Could this not have access to send the command?

When I SSH in to the box and send the command it works but not when I call notify.win10desktop from home assistant

Any thoughts?

This screams “no netcat is installed”.
(nc is an alias for netcat).

Thankyou! it is working but I have some minor input
When you insert the sample data it works all perfect

service: notify.win10desktop
data:

But when you take something shorter like the example below it isn’t going to work because the substring would be outside the source string

service: notify.win10desktop
data:

Powershell is throwing the following errors

Exception calling "Substring" with "2" argument(s): "Index and length must refer to a location within the string.
Parameter name: length"
Exception calling "Substring" with "1" argument(s): "startIndex cannot be larger than length of string.
Parameter name: startIndex"

resulting in a blank notification

Below I took your script and change is a little bit to bypass this. Also I added a uniqueidentifier to the toast message. This is a personal preference. But I like to keep it clean

# original file published by c't: notify.ps1 
# Stellen Sie hier den Port ein, auf dem das Skript lauschen soll
param( $address="any", $port=514 )

# Speicherort des Powershell-Skripts herausfinden
$ScriptDir = Split-Path $script:MyInvocation.MyCommand.Path

# UDP-Socket öffnen
$endpoint = new-object System.Net.IPEndPoint([IPAddress]::$address, $port)

$udpclient = new-object System.Net.Sockets.UdpClient $port

# Begruessung ausgeben
Write-Host -ForegroundColor Cyan "*** UDP Notification-Receiver, listens on port $($port) ***"

# Eingehende UDP-Pakete verarbeiten
while( $true )
{
	if( $udpclient.Available )
	{	# UDP-Paket auswerten und Benachrichtigung anzeigen
		$udpmessage = $([Text.Encoding]::UTF8.GetString($udpclient.Receive([ref]$endpoint)))
		# Modification: Define first 25 character of UDP string  as Title, and the rest as Message
		if ($udpmessage.length -lt 25){
			$message = $udpmessage
			$title = "Message from HomeAssistant"
		}else{
			$title = $udpmessage.Substring(0,25)
			$message = $udpmessage.Substring(25)
		}
		Toast -AppLogo $ScriptDir\ha.png -Silent -Text  $title ,  $message -UniqueIdentifier 'HA'
	}
	# Abfrageschleife verzoegern, um CPU-Auslastung auf ein Minimum zu reduzieren
	Start-Sleep -s 2
}
1 Like

I am getting a timeout error.

Timeout for command: cat | nc -u 192.168.1.111 514
7:52:47 PM – (ERROR) command_line - message first occurred at 7:43:40 PM and shows up 3 times

This is my notify.yaml. The ip is the windows pc?

- name: desktop   
    platform: command_line
    command:  "cat | nc -u 192.168.1.111 514"

test message:

Ok. I figured out my issued. I had notification turned off in Windows. Just need to enable it again. I can see the notification coming in now.

For continuous use, call this this script in Autostart.

I had to do some searching on how to go about having the script to autostart when Windows boot up. We need to create another file with a .cmd and paste these text in. Change the path to your .ps1 file location and name the .cmd anything you want.

PowerShell -Command "Set-ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted -Force" >> "%TEMP%\StartupLog.txt" 2>&1
PowerShell -windowstyle hidden D:\Scripts\homeassistant\notify_desktop.ps1 >> "%TEMP%\StartupLog.txt" 2>&1
PowerShell -Command "Set-ExecutionPolicy Restricted" >> "%TEMP%\StartupLog.txt" 2>&1

Place the .cmd file at this location. Windows should start the script when it boots up and hides the prompt.

C:\Users\Duc\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

2 Likes

nice to see another approach. I run it as a service ( link )

also you should use straight quotes instead of curly ones even if cmd is changing them automatically

1 Like

Hmm. Though, the service seems like it is working. I receive the text, HA log still gives me this error.

Timeout for command: cat | nc -u 192.168.1.111 514
7:52:47 PM – (ERROR) command_line - message first occurred at 7:43:40 PM and shows up 3 times

Do you see anything in the extended log?

extended log

As in supervisor log? I do not see any errors there.