Combine light and switch

Hi,

Does someone have an example how to combine a switch entity and a light entity to a single light entity?

switch does the turn On and Off, the light part inherits all from the light (e.g. colour, effect)

Thanks

1 Like

Is this what you are after?

1 Like

I have tried to get this working: Combining Z-wave Relay with Milight light

But it does not work for me, and it has only brightness control for the combined light.

I think there must be a lot of people that have for example Hue lights with a Z-wave switch (or something else to turn the power to the light). But I have not find a proper solution for this setup yet (I use z-wave switch and https://github.com/sidoh/esp8266_milight_hub)

I think we need something that combines both switch and light in an easy way.

Thanks

1 Like

I’m also still looking for a solution to this. Talked to a few people at the HA meet-up in Amsterdam but didn’t get any wiser.

why do you want to make 1 entity out of it?

i ask that question, because you probably dont switch the lights with HA frontend that much.
in automations you can just set the lights tow what you want to have.
and when you want to swich manually (with a screen) you can use HAdashboard, tileboard, lovelace, etc.
and combine the entities there somehow.

What @tom_l posted will do exactly what you want… Not sure why it didn’t do what you wanted. DId you set it up properly?

he wants to be able color as well, not just on, off and brightness

Wow, thought light templates had a set color.

Well, then his best option is an MQTT light probably. A bit of a pain to setup though.

He could definitely combine a light and a switch into a switch. Just have the turn_on service set the light information.

1 Like

Hi,

I see the MQTT_JSON is merged with MQTT Light - Home Assistant

{ I think we can get this working now!}

I think this needs to be introduced: