Commercial 2 wires rain sensor converted to smart sensor with Shelly d/w

Hi this is my first post in this section.
I’d like to share my idea to convert a commercial rain sensor, like Hunter, orbit, toro, etc… into a smart rain sensor using a little hack to Shelly d/w magnetic sensor.

Sorry for my english, my tutorial is in italian but very simple to understand thanks to images.

Link to my italian version: Sensore di pioggia commerciale + Shelly door sensor + MQTT + Home Assistant - Domotica DIY

Here material used:

Final result:

Step 1:

Put your sensor at position, not too fair to your wifi signal router

Step 2

Put your IP67 box closer to sensor rain

Step 3:

Open your Shelly door/window sensor and solder 2 little wires to this 2 points:

Step 4:

Insert 2 CR123A battery and try if LED response to contact:

Step 5:

Connect Shelly inside your IP67 box:

Step 6:

Now you can connect sensor to your Home Assistant like this, and use it for your automation:

binary_sensor:
  - platform: mqtt
    state_topic: "shellies/shellydw-xxxxxx/sensor/state"
    name: "Shelly Door/Window Sensor"
    payload_on: 'open'
    payload_off: 'close'
    qos: 0
    device_class: moisture

Full italian guide Sensore di pioggia commerciale + Shelly door sensor + MQTT + Home Assistant - Domotica DIY

1 Like

Wouldn’t moisture be a better device class than door?

Commercial rain sensor were projected for this job… i’ll prefer using this one for my project (i was this sensor on my original Hunter ECO system and in this way I can reuse it) instead a 1$ cheap made in china sensor…

I think you misunderstand me. I mean change to this:

binary_sensor:
  - platform: mqtt
    state_topic: "shellies/shellydw-xxxxxx/sensor/state"
    name: "Shelly Door/Window Sensor"
    payload_on: 'open'
    payload_off: 'close'
    qos: 0
    device_class: moisture ### <---better device class choice ###

ops sorry. you are right! Edited now. thanks

1 Like

It’s an interesting sensor. I had not seen that sort of expanding disc sensor before. Unfortunately it’s lowest setting appears to be 1/8’’ (3mm). I find that 1mm is enough for me to stop my watering schedule.

Hey there, that really looks interesting. Do you get only Open and close feedback or does this show some kind of waterlevel as well? And would it possibly work with xiaomi sensors as well?

The Shelly door sensor has other binary_sensor like vibration, lux, battery … you can see full list on my italian guide (but i think they are useless for rain sensor project (apart battery))

Yes I have made the same guide also for xiaomi aqara sensor using zigbee here: https://www.domoticadiy.it/2020/04/sensore-di-pioggia-commerciale-zigbee2mqtt-home-assistant/

1 Like

The sensor is a voltage free contact that is triggered by discs that expand as they absorb water. This particular one can be set (mechanically) to trip at varying levels, 1/8", 1/4", 1/2", 3/4" or 1" of rainfall. So no, there is no water level as such but the binary output can be set to trigger at an adjustable level.

1 Like

Hello, in the New version of shelly door window 2, the pcb board is different, what points have to weld??

1 Like

Thanks. Next week project.

Hi. Anyone using this can say how long the battery last? Thanks!