Community Hass.io Add-on: AppDaemon 3

nice that you post your question twice, so here the same answer:

read here about the breaking changes:

Thank you for the same answer

happens when you ask twice :wink:
better as when you get 2 completely different answers and dont know which is the right one :wink:

1 Like

I had that problem, the Caps have been removed from hadashboard: and should be indented to the same level as appdaemon: and not as a plugin.
Hope that helps!

Thanks for the useful answer. Will check soon

Although ReneTodeā€™s answer is correct, itā€™s not particularly friendly or helpful. I made the transition tonight and itā€™s working well. Hereā€™s what my working config for v3 looks like:

log:
  logfile: /config/appdaemon/appdaemon.log
  errorfile: /config/appdaemon/error.log

appdaemon:
  threads: 10
  app_dir: /config/appdaemon/apps
  plugins:
    HASS:
      type: hass
      ha_url: <your URL>
      ha_key: <Your password>
hadashboard:
  dash_url: http://192.168.100.5:5050
  dash_dir: /config/appdaemon/dashboards

So the first thing to notice is that the capitalisation has been removed, do that first.
Now split your logging directives out to be under log:
Finally add the plugins: section and move your HASS: section into it adding type:hass.

If you check the logs you might find it moaning about apps.yaml being in the config directory. Easy fix :slight_smile:

If you are using apps then you do need to read the docs as there is more to do.

2 Likes

sorry, i am normally a bit more friendly and for sure more helpfull (but if you would look up my profile or just read a lot on the forum, you could see that)
but with some people i dont give more then is needed in the hope that they finally start to look for themself before they ask. :wink:
like you noticed, my answer was correct, and for most people more then enough :wink:
so dont let me scare you away, mostly im a friendly guy :wink:

1 Like

I appreciate that Rene but I think one has to remember that Hassio is meant to be an easier point and click / fill in a few parameters way of getting HA up and running. The upgrade to V3 is not straightforward (I get that itā€™s Beta so expect issues) and your average user is not going to wade through long documents. Itā€™s one of my bugbears with OpenSource that it tends to assume levels of knowledge that people donā€™t have. If one needed to read a manual from front to back to drive a car, there would be few people driving, the same with a TV or a satellite receiver, plug and go, simple controls, thatā€™s why these are popular.

When someone asks a question that perhaps seems a bit dumb, donā€™t throw a huge manual at them and say ā€œRead that!ā€, distill your knowledge, guide them.

That said, we all have off days :wink:

3 Likes

i understand what you say.
but some people are around for a longer time, have had the ā€œnormalā€ way installed and want to be told everything in detail without making any efford at all to try to figure it out themselves :wink:

i am very very patient with people that try things themselve, that cant seem to figure something out and get stuck. i can spend hours with them to figure it out.

but not with people who just install something and the start asking questions like: ā€œcan i do this can, i do that, etc.ā€ without looking at the place that has been made to tell what all is possible.

i for sure see the difference between people that are unknown because they just dont have the knowledge, (and yeah some of that questions can seem a bit ā€œdumbā€ but i dont see it that way) and people that dont have the knowledge because they are just plain lazy. (the kind that doesnt use google, but comes to you so that you can google for them)

and even those people get my help. just in a little different way. (and thank god that there are not much of those people around on this forum, or i would be long gone :wink: )

and i dont assume knowledge at all, i even did write tutorials for those that dont know anything :wink:

Hi guys.
Iā€™m in need of your knowledge and require your help. Iā€™ve just removed Appdaemon2 and install Appdeamon3 from Frenck Hassio repository and now I canā€™t load my dashboard. I have a ā€œError getting state, check Java Console for detailsā€ . This error shows up using all browsers (Safari, Firefox,Chrome). Iā€™m running Hass.io latest version 0.62.1.
Iā€™ve notice that if I remove the ā€œentity: sensor.xxxxxxxxā€ from the configuration that the error doesnā€™t occur ā€¦ Any ideas on how to fix this ???

my Appdaemon configuration is:
-------
#secrets: /config/secrets.yaml
log:
  logfile: STDOUT
  errorfile: STDERR
appdaemon:
  threads: 10
  app_dir: /config/appdaemon/apps
  plugins:
    HASS:
      type: hass
      disable_apps: 1
      ha_url: http://102.0.0.254:8123
      ha_key: "xxxxxxxx"
hadashboard:
  dash_url: http://102.0.0.254:5050
  dash_dir: /config/appdaemon/dashboards
  dash_force_compile: 1
-------

Thanks in advance for your time!

Hi All,

Iā€™ve got appdaemon up and running and connected to HA, but i am having problems with widgets in HADashbord. It seems to be looking at each character in a widget definition individually. for exmaple:

##
## Main arguments, all optional
##
title: Test 3
widget_dimensions: [120, 120]
widget_size: [1, 1]
widget_margins: [5, 5]
columns: 8

layout:
       -clock
clock:
    widget_type: clock

Yields this error in the logs:

2018-02-05 16:10:30.295811 WARNING Unable to find widget definition for '-'
2018-02-05 16:10:30.298393 WARNING Unable to find widget definition for 'c'
2018-02-05 16:10:30.301375 WARNING Unable to find widget definition for 'l'
2018-02-05 16:10:30.302456 WARNING Unable to find widget definition for 'o'
2018-02-05 16:10:30.303446 WARNING Duplicate widget name 'c' - ignored
2018-02-05 16:10:30.305073 WARNING Unable to find widget definition for 'k'

But if Just use ā€œcā€ for clock it kinda works. No errors and i get a clock, but I also 4 other unknown widgets:

layout:
       -clock
c:
    widget_type: clock

Iā€™ve used notepad++ and conTEXT editors with the same result. Any ideas where i might be going wrong?

it is a yaml file and your indentions are wrong.
you need a space behind a -
and all indentions need to be lined out.

@nsoares

1. did you close everything (including the device running appdaemon) and all dashboards?
  2. did you clear all cash?
  3. did you look at all braeking changes?
  4. what is in your dashboard file? or where did you remove ā€œentity: sensor.xxxā€
  5. what is in the logs?

Thank you @ReneTode I see what i did. Forgot it was a yaml file.

1 Like

How would I go about adding SSL encryption to hadashboard using the duckdns addon? I found documentation on the appdeamon website to include dash_ssl_cert and dash_ssl_key but canā€™t locate where those values are stored using these add ons.

if you have duck dns for home assistant its probably hard to use it also for dashboard.
most people only have 1 router and 1 outside IP address, so only 1 433 port to point to.
the best way is to use nginx and point from the router to nginx and let nginx decide what to do based on what comes from outside.

Wow! Not sure who exactly to thank, so @frenck and @ReneTode, you guys get the credit!
I stumbled around a bit trying to figure out how to get HADashboard working. Once I found this add-on it was up and running in just a couple minutes.
Nice work fellas!
Now to start making my beautiful Dashboard!

Iā€™m going to do tutorial video on this. So, if thereā€™s any info youā€™d like to make sure I include (or avoid) just let me know. Iā€™m hoping to have it done in about a week.

Thanks again for the great work!

1 Like

i love to take credit, but except for a few tweaks and some wrapping code, the whole creation from appdaemon and the dashboard is done by @aimc.

1 Like

Well, thanks a bunch to @aimc!
HA Dashboard is so slick!

One question, where can I find the skin files? Thereā€™s a mention of looking into them to make modifications in the docs, but I canā€™t find them anywhereā€¦

you can use the default skins by using
your_url?skin=SKINNAME

you are using hassio, so you will have a hard time finding them/ manipulating them

you can create your own skins by creating a dir called custom_css in the same dir where your appdaemon.yaml is.
then you can make a dir in that with your skinname
in that dir you need to create 2 files: variables.yaml and dashboard.css

the easiest way is to start of with a skin from someone else (for instance my waterdrops skin) and manipulate those files.

excellent!
thank you! thatā€™s perfect.
I am using Hassio, which is probably why I couldnā€™t find the location of the built-in skins. My fav is glassic so far. I havenā€™t seen yours yet.
Is there one place where everyone who has made one shares them? Iā€™ll hopefully have a couple to share before too long.