Home Assistant Community Add-on: InfluxDB

This add-on is provided by the Home Assistant Community Add-ons project.

GitHub Release GitLab CI Project Stage Project Maintenance

Supports armhf Architecture Supports armv7 Architecture Supports aarch64 Architecture Supports amd64 Architecture Supports i386 Architecture

About

Scalable datastore for metrics, events, and real-time analytics.

InfluxDB is an open source time series database optimized for high-write-volume. It’s useful for recording metrics, sensor data, events, and performing analytics. It exposes an HTTP API for client interaction and if often used in combination with Grafana to visualize the data.

This add-on comes with Chronograf & Kapacitor pre-installed as well. Which gives you a nice InfluxDB admin interface for managing your users, databases, data retention settings, and lets you peek inside the database using the Data Explorer.

Installation

The installation of this add-on is pretty straightforward and not different in comparison to installing any other add-on.

1. Search for the “InfluxDB” add-on in the add-on store and install it.
  2. Start the “InfluxDB” add-on.
  3. Check the logs of the “InfluxDB” to see if everything went well.
  4. Click the “OPEN WEB UI” button!

Support

You can always try to get support from the community here at the Home Assistant community forums, join the conversation!

Questions? You have several options to get them answered:

You could also open an issue on GitHub, in case you ran into a bug, or maybe you have an idea on improving the addon:

:information_source: At this moment our Home Assistant Community Add-ons Discord chat server and GitHub are our only official support channels. All others rely on community effort.

Repository on GitHub

Looking for more add-ons?

The primary goal of our add-ons project is to provide you (as an Hassio / Home Assistant user) with additional, high quality, add-ons that allow you to take your automated home to the next level.

Check out some of our other add-ons in our Home Assistant Community Add-ons project.

16 Likes

About the author of this add-on

Hi there!

I am Franck Nijhof, and I have 30 years of programming experience, in many languages. I am using this experience to work on the Home Assistant project by giving back my knowledge and time to the open source community.

The add-on you are currently looking at right now was developed/packaged by me. It is not the only add-on I have created; there are many many more :wink:

However, I have a problem… I am an addict. A :coffee: addict that is. Lucky for you, I turn that C8H10N4O2 (caffeine molecule) into code (and add-ons)!

If you want to show your appreciation, consider supporting me for buying a cup of high octane wakey juice via one of the platforms below! :heart:

Sponsor Frenck via GitHub Sponsors

Support Frenck on Patreon

Enjoy your add-on, while I enjoy the brain juice. :coffee:

Thanks for all the :two_hearts:

…/Frenck

Join our Discord server Follow me on Twitter Flollow me on Instragram Follow me on GitHub Follow me on YouTube Follow me on Twitch patreon-icon

P.S.: In case you want to ask me a question: AMA (Ask Me Anything). Most of the time I am online at the Discord chat. (I go by @Frenck in there as well).

I’ve been pointed in the direction of a bug within Chronograf. :bug:

Created dashboards are not stored persistently. I’m currently looking into this issue.

1 Like

That’s awesome.
It makes me want to switch to hassio :slight_smile:

Thank you so much again @frenck , you truly are amazing. :fist_right::fist_left:

Looks awsome, anyway to get this into a normal hassbian or is it only hass.io?

No, there is no way to get this on Hassbian, add-ons are a Hassio feature.
You could of course install Influxdata software yourself, but that is out of scope for this topic :wink:

PS: Thank you for the compliment :heart:

Really cool addon thanks. is that 3 or 4 addon’s this week! your more machine than man :star_struck:

Wow, once I figured out how to use a tenth of it’s capabilities, this thing is amazing! My biggest problem with Hass.io is how slow the history tab is, and this completely fixes that.

Where does the data for InfluxDB come from and where is it stored? If it doesn’t use home-assistant_v2.db, can “logbook:” and “history:” be removed from configuration.yaml or is there some dependency?

Thanks!!!

Thanks! Lost count myself… :wink:

It is stored inside the add-ons persistent storage space (usually referred to as /data in the Hassio world). This space is exported using snapshots as well.

I guess they can be removed. Not 100% sure… give it a shot and let me know :slight_smile:

Hi
For some reason I’m unable to get the logbook to show anything. When it did I found it limiting would this be a suitable replacement?

Yes it is… and more than that. It will allow you to visualize data as well.
I’m still running them both btw… somehow dunno… fallback feeling?

The logbook shows last actions, while this gives me insights in the history.

I commented out “logbook:” & “history:” and deleted the home-assistant db file, and that did not impact the InfluxDb functionality. I’ll probably add those back just to keep last few days of data as fallback but good to know InfluxDB is not dependent on it.

That’s my intention as well, and so far it works beautifully. I already learned to do this for now (2018-05-28_17-11-51.png - Google Drive), but it also looks like you can set up notifications there based on any criteria, so could easily replace lots of automation I have.

2 Likes

@trusty That dashboard just looks freaking amazing! :heart: :sunglasses: Nice job!

PS: Thanks for the info :ok_hand:

All thanks to you @frenck :+1: Too bad I don’t have more time to play with it, dying to try the SonWeb Add-on.

1 Like

Hi Franck,

I am already using this addon for influxdb

How can I migrate to yours ?

Thanks,
Claudio

2 Likes

I’ve done all documented setup and double checked it. Is there a trick to getting text values to appear in Chronograf?

I’m absolutely successful at seeing numeric values, but entities that will hold text (e.g. home/not_home), I’m struggling to get them to appear.

Example InfluxQL:
SELECT "value" FROM "homeassistant"."autogen"."state" WHERE time > now() AND "entity_id"='[entity that returns home/not_home]'

It tells me that it’s syntactically correct, but returns no values.

I’ve tried a few variants of this, including changing the time range or removing it entirely. I’m used to traditional SQL, so I may have some blindspot when I’m looking at a familiar, but different approach to data.

I’m rather confident the issue is with me, but after googling InfluxDB and reading through examples, playing with variants of possibilities… I’m out of good answers for what I’m doing wrong here.

I definitely hope to do as trusty mentioned - I want to replace my logbook and history. I’m just missing something important here and I feel dense.

The same for me here. I will try it at Thursday if I can find a solution by snapshot function.

Had the same and had to change the Time interval on the upper right side to at least 1h