Compact Custom Header

No need, thank you. Looking into it.

1 Like

@mayker, error is fixed in 1.3.0, but now the 3 dots menu disappears after closing edit mode.
20190716_21%3A01%3A16_001 -> 20190716_21%3A01%3A38_001

1 Like

Thanks for the quick fix! :+1:

1 Like

For those of you updating to 0.96.0 and seeing the new sidebar for the first time, you will notice that there are new and removed features in CCH. Check back at my post here to see the added/removed options. I have yet to update the readme, but will soon.

From your pre-release notes:

You’ve added an option to hide the sidebar, which is great (the new side bar is a bit shit in my opinion), but does your statement preclude a adding an easy way to un-hide the the side bar or to only hide it per user or device type?

I don’t want the side bar visible for guests at all but I do need access to it from the administrator account.

EDIT:

Never mind. Just read this:

I will not be adding any more features related to the sidebar.

Yeah, sorry. The inclusion of the feature to disable the sidebar was added mainly so that hiding things for certain users and using kiosk mode were still viable options. In those cases they wouldn’t need access to the sidebar, but that’s as far as I’ll go with modifying the sidebar in CCH.

2 Likes

I must way I don’t understand why CCH only affects Lovelace but you don’t want to do anything to hide/unhide it on Lovelace… if someone is not using lovelace it doesn’t matter what CCH does! A lot of people use CCH because it helps stop the frontend using up the screen realestate and now the devs thought it would be a good idea to have a permanent sidebar but you don’t want to tackle that from a user POV? I just don’t understand really. The new sidebar is a nightmare on a mobile tablet in landscape mode as the sidebar causes some cards to realign and look really bad… 1cm doesn’t sound like much but it screws up for instance my weather card. And IMO it just looks ugly on any device and spoils the clean look.

Anyway, as more people upgrade I expect the pitchforks will come out (not for you I should add…).

1 Like

I’ve made the decision to keep from modifying the sidebar for a couple of reasons:

• It’s not a good idea to modify something that is outside the scope of Lovelace from within Lovelace. There are ways to make addons that effect the entire front end, but I won’t modify CCH to do that.

• CCH has really ballooned into a good bit more than modifying the header, but you could say that it’s features are still somewhat related to the header. Something that modifies the sidebar should be it’s own project or built into core (give it time).

Also, I misread your post a bit. This is possible. You can use disable_sidebar: true for the users that you don’t want to see it.

That’s great. Can it be done by user agent (browser type) as well.

Yup, should work for any condition in exceptions

That is the solution to my problem with this new sidebar then (and David’s too I think). Thanks!

1 Like

I’m not sure it is… Is it possible to only disable the sidebar on ONE view? (The one where I have my weather)?

The following config will hide the sidebar only for the user mayker.

cch:
  exceptions:
    - conditions:
        user: mayker
      config:
        disable_sidebar: true

No, you cannot make exceptions for views, so this wouldn’t be the solution you’re looking for.

As long as there is always a true kiosk mode to hide everything…you’ll never hear a peep out of me, :wink: Thanks again for your hard work and extremely tolerant attitude :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: @mayker

3 Likes

Is it possible that under the number (id) for example (11) the entire menu will disappear? I built an exhibit for the iPad at the entrance to the house and I want to hide the menu under that number.

By id do you mean view/tab number? If so, you cannot have a different setup per tab. If you wanted to hide the header/sidebar for just that device you could make an user_agent exception or create a user for just that device and use a user exception.

You can give an example please

A few posts up I shared an example that hides the sidebar for a user.

There’s a full example and explanation of each condition in the docs.

If you want to hide sidebar and header use kiosk_mode: true.

2 Likes