Compact Custom Header

Also, I misread your post a bit. This is possible. You can use disable_sidebar: true for the users that you don’t want to see it.

That’s great. Can it be done by user agent (browser type) as well.

Yup, should work for any condition in exceptions

That is the solution to my problem with this new sidebar then (and David’s too I think). Thanks!

1 Like

I’m not sure it is… Is it possible to only disable the sidebar on ONE view? (The one where I have my weather)?

The following config will hide the sidebar only for the user mayker.

cch:
  exceptions:
    - conditions:
        user: mayker
      config:
        disable_sidebar: true

No, you cannot make exceptions for views, so this wouldn’t be the solution you’re looking for.

As long as there is always a true kiosk mode to hide everything…you’ll never hear a peep out of me, :wink: Thanks again for your hard work and extremely tolerant attitude :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: @mayker

3 Likes

Is it possible that under the number (id) for example (11) the entire menu will disappear? I built an exhibit for the iPad at the entrance to the house and I want to hide the menu under that number.

By id do you mean view/tab number? If so, you cannot have a different setup per tab. If you wanted to hide the header/sidebar for just that device you could make an user_agent exception or create a user for just that device and use a user exception.

You can give an example please

A few posts up I shared an example that hides the sidebar for a user.

There’s a full example and explanation of each condition in the docs.

If you want to hide sidebar and header use kiosk_mode: true.

2 Likes

Hi,

I’d like to start with a big thanks for this project. The customization possibilities and swipe navigation are really just amazing.

Question in short:
I’d really like the same navigation on other browsers as on a mobile - Menu option in the three dot-button and when I click it it would show the sidebar.

Longer description:
As a default, I have this config:
It works great for my kids and the dashboards.

But for myself I’d like to be able to access the Sidebar without seeing it all the time.
Ideally It would be accessible from the overflow menu. The menu item is there, but since I have “Hide & Disable Sidebar” active, nothing happens when I click it.
And If I disable “Hide & Disable Sidebar”, the sidebar is shown - which I don’t want.

Basically, what I want is the same behavior on a PC browser as on the mobile. There it works perfectly. The Menu option is in the three dots-button and when I click it it shows the sidebar.

Is that possible?

1 Like

I’ve commented on this a few times, please see:

here and here

tldr : This is something that should either be a dedicated addon for the sidebar or added to core. I’ve added the ability to disable the sidebar only to keep the exceptions and kiosk_mode features of CCH useful.

Edit: I realize now that you were asking if it is currently possible, but I kind of jumped ahead to explaining why it’s not.

1 Like

Also, keep in mind that this is the first iteration of the new sidebar. There’s a fair bit of comments and criticism coming in now and I’m sure it’s all being heard. Solving current issues/feature requests with a custom project is counterproductive for both the custom project and HA.

4 Likes

Wait… I’ve been using CCH since the beginning and as such have had it set up how I like it for so long now that I don’t even always keep up with changes as well as I should. Maybe I missed it or maybe it has been possible for along time and I never took any notice, but are you saying you can configure CCH dynamically using automations (based on input_booleans as triggers)?

Not just input_booleans, any entity:

https://maykar.github.io/compact-custom-header/Conditional-Styling-Config/

You can do so with javascript templates as well:

https://maykar.github.io/compact-custom-header/Conditional-Styling-Config/#conditional-styling-templates

5 Likes

I didn’t realize that was the reason, so thanks!

Anyway, I just tried an old school way to do it which solves (or rather a work around to) my issue:
Hide Sidebar for everyone and just put a weblink to “https://xyz.duckdns.org/hassio/dashboard” on a tab that’s only shown to myself. Then a new page is shown - with sidebar - but hidden on all other tabs.

That works fine for me - that’s basically the functionality I wanted, but with a link instead of a menu item in the 3-dot menu.

Again - thank you very much for this. CCH is just amazing.

1 Like

Hi pjv. Can you please explain how I use this modified version for legacy devices?

I’m sorry but I don’t know what to explain. You just substitute the “legacy” code for the normal CCH code and reference it in resources as js instead of as module and then use it the same way you would use the normal CCH.

You can’t use both - it’s one or the other. And the legacy version is currently far behind due to some issues with importing the editor component that I couldn’t work out. I think @mayker is working on a new structure for the code that would make it possible for me to catch the legacy version back up.