Component not found: bluetooth_proxy

I’m really confused about the ESPHome proxy.

I’ve seen quite a few posts with this (1, 2, 3, …), but not one that has a solution (or solutions that are not applicable to my case, e.g. that you have to be on HA 2022.9 or later, that they were using and old ESPHome version annd hadn’t applied an upgrade).

I flashed directly from ESPHome Bluetooth Proxy website, as instructed, and (according to instruction) adopted it in HA.

Then the HA ESPHome panel says I need to update before I can use:

Which results in:

What’s going on here? I’m literally, step by step, doing what ESPHome and HA are telling me to do. Pretty much just clicking OK when they say they need to do something.

This is the config ESPHome in HA has for the device after it was flashed through the esphome website (i.e., I haven’t touched this manually).

substitutions:
  name: esp32-bluetooth-proxy-4d83b0
packages:
  esphome.bluetooth-proxy: github://esphome/bluetooth-proxies/esp32-generic.yaml@main
esphome:
  name_add_mac_suffix: false

wifi:
  ssid: !secret wifi_ssid
  password: !secret wifi_password

I have exactly the same problem only with an M5stack. Followed the procedure as you did. Interestingly, it does seem to be working and I have new blue tooth entities from a nearby Inkbird sensor. But in ESP home, it shows that the device needs updating but it fails with "component not found: bluetooth_proxy. I’ve tried manually adding the lines for esp32_ble_tracker and bluetooth proxy: followed by indented active : true but still get the error. Hope someone can help us out here.

By the looks you are running versions of the esphome (dashboard) which are prior to the one the bluetooth_proxy was introduced. :eyes:

Short look on the website reveals :point_down:

You need minimum 2022.9.0 for active connections :radioactive:

Or a minimum of 2022.8.0 to make use of bluetooth proxies at all :bulb:

EDIT: I see what yo mean now, it’s only available in the beta releases.

I guess I am just so used to big announcements like that being about stable features, and 2022.X releases being the stable versions (I didn’t think ESPHome did it differently with release numbers than HA).

Do you know what the stable release cycle of ESPHome add-on is? So we can decide whether it’s worth installing beta over just waiting X days, weeks, etc.?

I have the same question. Home assistant tells me that there are no updates available (settings - system - updates). ESPhome has a button “Update all” but all nodes are up to date apart from this latest bluetooth proxy. In ESPhome dashboard,at the bottom, it shows ESPHome 2022.1.1. So how do I update it?

How did you install esphome (dashboard) and on which version you are (it is written in the footer)?

So that’s like very old. In your case you need even to update the repo (in case you have it installed as a add-on in HA), check the #important-infromation in the discords :point_down:

I was editing my answer while you were replying,…

To add to the confusion, if I access the node from integrations - esphome - device, it tells me that the the firmware is 2022.9.4.

It’s stable actually - not sure why it should be beta?

Like HA monthly a new major release

You maybe installed that one from web.esphome.io or another online (up2date) source?

OK, I think I see the problem now. Was something completely changed around v2022.3.1? I have kept all my add-ons (incl. ESPHome) up to date, but I can see when I try to look at changelog that the add-on does not exist:

Following the link in the discord channel, I get a different add-on with a different icon etc.

Old:
Screenshot 2022-10-12 at 22.53.25

New:
Screenshot 2022-10-12 at 22.53.30

So maybe the repo was changed without notice (without notice in the HA UI at least)? In any case, it looks like it’s working now. Thanks!

It seems that the “Update all” button will update the firmware on the nodes but not the dashboard version of ESPHome that you mention. That discord link takes me to a page telling me that I don’t have access to text channels or there are none on the server.

@Aephir Can you walk a 69 year old through how you updated ESP Home please?

Maybe - I just followed the link in the discord channel: Link to Add-on: Dashboard – My Home Assistant

EDIT: Oops, I was a bit quick on the trigger, didn’t read your previous message @deckingman.

If the link doesn’t work, you should be able to upgrade by going to Home Assistant “Settings” → “add-ons” → “Add-on store” and scroll down until you find ESPHome:

Install the first one. The n go back to your “add-ons” overview and see if you have two called ESPHome. If you do, delete the one that doesn’t look like the screenshot above.

1 Like

Yes, and we were told in the release notes (twice) ESPHome 2022.2.0 - 16th February 2022 — ESPHome and ESPHome 2022.4.0 - 20th April 2022 — ESPHome

Fair enough, my bad.

Thanks. I just did the latter (Settings - Add ons etc) as per you now edited post, and deleted the old version. I do tend to read the home assistant release notes but didn’t notice this “breaking change” anywhere. Have I got to do this every time there is an update to ESPHome?

Good to hear! Yeah, I also read the HA release, and missed the ESPhome one.

No, this should be it. It is now “officially” in the main Home Assistant Add-On store (which it wasn’t before) so there should be no more surprises like this waiting.

1 Like

Hey guys,

Im on;

Home Assistant 2022.10.4
Supervisor 2022.10.0
Operating System 9.2
Frontend 20221010.0 - latest

And still getting this error when trying to add to an exsisitng device.

Am I doing something wrong?

EDIT;

So Im just having a look at the add on and the version seems really old. But I cant see a way to update it :frowning:

v2022.3.1

EDIT 2

I’m very confused LOL, where are there two versions of ESP home… Did I miss this, why was one not just upgraded to the other???

EDIT 3

HAHAHA sorry everyone, I should learn to read. How the hell I missed this, I have no idea. I do recall reading something, now I think about it, but thought it would happen automatically.

LOL

I did follow the discord link.
I updated my version from 2022.3.1 to 2022.11.1

After that I managed to complete adoption and update succesfully.

But still no Bluetooth devices detected.
What am doing wrong? I am using ESP32 WROOM

What do you have in your ESPHome yaml config?

With this config
substitutions:
  name: esp32-bluetooth-proxy-01-4d83b0
packages:
  esphome.bluetooth-proxy: github://esphome/bluetooth-proxies/esp32-generic.yaml@main
esphome:
  name: ${name}
  name_add_mac_suffix: false

api:
logger:
ota:
improv_serial:
captive_portal:

wifi:
  ssid: !secret wifi_ssid
  password: !secret wifi_password

esp32_ble_tracker:
  scan_parameters:
    interval: 1100ms
    window: 1100ms
    active: true

bluetooth_proxy:
  active: true

I find my Airthings Wave+ Radon sensors. What devices are you trying to detect?

I’m not sure whether it works for everything, and according to this, it’s (still?) pretty passive; it can’t establish an active connection (like to the thermostat in the link).