Conbee II not able to integrate [Win10[Virtualbox[Linux + Ubuntu 64[Hassio]]]]

Hi John,

So did you give up on using conbee with your set up?

Here is a screenshot from my router:

“NIKLAS-PC” is the windows pc on which virtualbox is installed
“HASSIO” is the HA instance (in other words i can access it at https://192.168.1.14:8123/)

What your saying is that i should add the address in the config like:

And then klicking “Authenticate app” and adding the Dconz Gateway integration in HA?

Thanks for your reply

I am accessing the conbee through the Phoscon interface in a browser window in Win10 (not the VM).

Seems as you say that there is a problem with hass.io seeing the stick at all.

Did you install deconz on your windows machine or inside your VM?

Its been installed in windows and added in virtualbox through the device filter function:

I don’t want to cause confusion so I’ll cover my situation first then try to assist you based on my recent playing.

1. I cannot pair my stick with anything when accessing it through my HA VM. Nothing at all. My workaround was to put stick into my W10 laptop, pair with the IKEA lights and remote control I have, then backup my config. In then transfer stick to my W10 nuc running HA as a Linux VM, access it through HA and then restore from my backup file. I can control stuff already paired I just cannot pair new stuff via HA. Adds 10mins to workflow so no biggy.

2. To access your stick/the app via HA go to your normal HA frontend. Go to HassIO then in your dashboard you have deCONZ as an add-on. From there follow “Open Web UI” link. It’s the right way to see if HA/your VM has control of that USB port.

Any probs and I can send screenshots

Wow that sound like a lot of work for something simple… which brings me back to my question, why not buy a RPi, install home assistant there and save yourself all the unnecessary struggle?

For me it looks like the passthroug for the stick doesn’t work for him, as he doesn’t see the device in hass.io. Did you passthrough the device as USB or as serial device?

RPi worked well for a bit (2yrs) until it didn’t and I got fed up with 2-3min restart times. I bought a nuc last year and have not looked back. I haven’t tried a RPi 4 to be fair.

1 Like

Ok good point, really depends on your setup, quality of sd card, power supply etc., etc. I had it running fine for around 6 months and then also switched to a NUC, because I wanted to run another HA instance for testing and some other VMs. I use Proxmox, don’t like Windows as you may have guessed :upside_down_face: What services do you use that need Windows? Could you run it as a VM or is the performance not enough?

If you installed deconz on your windows pc you should NOT add the Conbee to your VM running HA. The conbee is only accessible to one of them.
So you either run deconz in your HA VM and passtrough the key OR you run deconz on your windows PC and do not pass it trough. If you run deconz on your windows PC you should check your firewall to make sure deconz is accessible from HA.

Thank you for all your help guys, ill try these suggestions tonight after work. Ill report back as soon as i can.
Im still a bit confused, and i think im making myself more and more confused =)

I have tried both as a usb and a serial device. The problem is, when trying as a serial device, i get the following message:

And i think the primary problem is that i havent managed to get hass.io to recognize the conbee at all

No windows services that I’d miss. Being better at following guides than blazing a trail from scratch I found more information at the time on VMs than I did on proxmox set-ups, and it seemed the safer option for me at the time. This has changed in the last year and information on both is very good now. I was pushing the pi performance but, so far, have not stressed the nuc at all, even with the W10 overhead.

Alexus, i don’t think your VM is owning the usb stick.

If Deconz is installed in Windows than there is no point in adding the device to VirtualBox. Your Ubuntu image only has to be able to connect to the Dezonz port at the IP address of your Windows PC. I think that’s the problem. Maybe you can try to disable the Windows firewall and see if that helps. And you should be able to run the following command in the Ubuntu console :

telnet IPADDRESSOFWINDOWS DECONZPORT

But i really think you’re making it way more complex than needed because you are running Hassio on virtual image on top of Windows. In your case Hassio needs to connect to Ubuntu, Ubuntu needs to connect to virtualbox and virtualbox needs to connect to Windows.

Isn’t it easier to passthrough the USB device to Virtualbox and install the Deconz addon in Hassio ?

1 Like

Yes I think so as well, however the issue is the stick doesn’t get recognized in Hassio for him.

I just found this in another forum to add the device as serial

Port mode should be “Host device”, and the Path/Address should be something like “COM8:” or whatever the port actually calls itself on your host. Look in the “Ports (COM & LPT)” branch of your host’s device manager to get the actual port number. It probably isn’t COM1. Leave all the other settings on defaults, including the port identity for the guest side, which should always be “COM1”. The serial dialog should look like the following, though probably with something other than “COM8” in the path/address field.

Take a look at the topic:

https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=78141

But if he installed Deconz in Windows than the stick doesn’t have to be recognized in Hassio. Hassio only has to connect to the Deconz gateway.

Yes I totally agree, just feel like it would be better to install the deonz addon in Hassio.

Ok, so with the ipaddress of my physical pc:

And the address of the Dconz port:

:8090

It should be

telnet 192.168.1.11 192.168.56.1:8090

Seems like it doesnt work or im doing it wrong. Guessing the latter.

But to answer your question. I dont know what way would be easier, im just looking for anyway that works really.
Im totally open to passing it through in any way possible.

Could you describe the necessary steps? Uninstalling the conbee and then setting usb filter in virtualbox, and after this adding the addon in hassio and activating the stick by “authenticate app” in phoscon?

Sorry. A bit of a messy answer. Thank you for your efforts

Good evening. I have tried this as you proposed on Path/address, but got this:

Im not sure what should be in that field to make it correct. Tried a bunch of different alternatives, but perhaps having the stick installed in windows is causing problems?