Conbee II not able to integrate [Win10[Virtualbox[Linux + Ubuntu 64[Hassio]]]]

Read my post above, path/adress needs to be

COM8:

You should see the number in the category “Ports (COM & LPT)” on your host machine.

Like i said before, if you have the stick installed with Deconz running in Windows than there’s no point in adding the device in VirtualBox. So i shouldn’t waste time in troubleshouting that.

Are you sure you are running the command from the Ubuntu console ? Because it looks like telnet is not installed and that should be installed by default in Ubuntu. And your command line is wrong, it should be something like : telnet 192.168.56.1 8090

What’s also strange is that the IP address in your URL differs from the one i see behind Phoscon-GW. So i’m not quite sure how you installed everything which makes it difficult to troubleshoot.

Screenshot below is from my own installation. I have everything running on Ubuntu on a Intel NUC with Home Assistant and Deconz running as a docker. Than all you have to do is map the right ports in your dockers.

I have tried this now, but it still doesnt show up in the hardware list ins

I have verified that it is COM3 by pulling out the usb.
The machine starts with “COM3:” written in the path/address field at least, but nothing seems to have changed.

Guys… i solved it!

The device is under /dev/ttyS3 apparently.

I found the answer here: https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?t=26860

So for anyone using the same set up as me; you dont have to activate “serial ports” on your vm in virtualbox.
Just add /dev/ttyS3 in the deconz add-on. After adding this, the device was discovered automatically.

Thank you for your help everyone. Merry christmas

Update: Got it working now without using any serial device set up. Instead, the usb filter works fine now. Re installing virtualbox a couple of times seems to be what solved the issue. So its showing as ACM01 now.

3 Likes

Hi
I am stuck, i have similar setup that urs except that on device manager, i see mine as COM2

Do you have it added as USB at the end on virtual box?

This is how my config looks like in virtualbox

Hello,
I started over and got it working with just the usb filter and not as a serial device. One problem i had was that the virtual machine did not “grab” the device from the windows host. What problem are you experiencing precisely?
Can you make your virtual machine grab the usb device?

1 Like

Thanks

Yep i managed to do it, i selected usb3
It works now

had the same issue, easy to solve no serial required!!!

sudo adduser $USER vboxusers

logout
login again and start virtualbox… happy life

PS Actually although I was possible to add the device via USB, I had to add the rest of the USB devices, I think it was the USB Bridge which take affect :slight_smile: now it works as expected

I have bashed my head at this for several night now!
The conbee stick just didn’t want to show up in HA, but it always worked with the aeotec zwave stick.

Now I finally found what my problem was.
My Virtualbox Hassio run as a service, but I assign the usb forwarding in Virtualbox gui. Then i rebooted my windows host and it didn’t work.
The fix was to start Hassio guest from Virtualbox gui once, then shutdown again and reboot host machine!
So I am guessing that Hassio guest doesn’t get the settings until it have been booted from gui.

Hope this help someone in the future!

1 Like

I like RPI but its a bit of a toy to me - Windows is where real men go to do proper things. As such I wanted to have HA on Windows and I am quite happy to use the HA Virtual box build. I also have a Conbee II USB. I could not get it to be stable and connect 100% of the time when running VB as a service when configured as a USB device. Being old school and still liking serial ports - the Conbee is essentially a serial device, I swapped over to mapping the serial port and its super fine.

If you are on Windows then make sure you know what the serial port on Windows is - say COM3 and then put that into the path setting on VB. That is essentially COM1 on VB - which is seen by Linux HA as /dev/stty0 so you add that as the port for deConz add-on in HA.

Seems to work very reliably - windows reboot and using nssm as the way to start a headless session boots nicely and always connects the Conbee II no probs - no more of this rts/cts stuff that gets sicked up when you map the USB.

3 Likes

Hi @davyrob, i have this problem too. I just cant get the conbee II recognised in HA consistently. If i boot the virtual machine (using virtual box on windows) and then plug the conbee in after i ‘sometimes’ get it to work…very infrequently though. My conbee is on COM3 so tried your screenshot above but its not working. Do i still need to may the usb in the usb filter or not if i am using the serial approach. This is absolutely doing my nut in…just cant the conbee to show reliably after booting HA. Any help, and i mean any help would be very much appreciated. thanks

I think the serial port mapping is quite good - so for each of the 4 serial ports in the VM COM1 you then say which is the real one - for me in Windows its COM13: So I put COM1 with Path address COM13

Then in the Linux VM you see it as /dev/ttyS0 - This is a good link to follow

The other way - which I am doing now - is to just create a gateway using a Pi - I needed to do this for both BLE devices anyway - so I will have the deconz fitted to a Pi and be able to then see it as a network gateway.

Deconz doesnt allow headless start on Windows - but it does on Linux. Which is a nuisance - but maybe they will allow it at some point

Hi @alexus
I am having same issue as yourself. I have the following setup

1. Windows 10 Host Machine.
  2. VirtualBox where HA is running as a VM.
  3. Have Conbee 2 connected with Host Machine i.e. Windows 10
  4. I have following settings under VM

with following USB filter set up

1. When in HA VM, I have installed deCONZ with this config

1. the logs for deCONZ show failure to connect to the network
17:34:28:257 start reconnect to network
17:34:33:512 failed to reconnect to network try=1
17:34:38:784 failed to reconnect to network try=2
17:34:43:765 failed to reconnect to network try=3
17:34:48:760 failed to reconnect to network try=4
17:34:53:762 failed to reconnect to network try=5
17:34:58:760 failed to reconnect to network try=6
17:35:03:760 failed to reconnect to network try=7
17:35:08:761 failed to reconnect to network try=8
17:35:13:760 failed to reconnect to network try=9
17:35:18:762 failed to reconnect to network try=10
17:35:23:763 reconnect network failed, try later
17:35:24:259 start reconnect to network
17:35:29:514 failed to reconnect to network try=1
17:35:30:268 Skip idle timer callback, too early: elapsed 947 msec
17:35:34:760 failed to reconnect to network try=2
[17:35:36] FATAL: Failed to get a valid bridge ID. Discovery aborted.
17:35:39:759 failed to reconnect to network try=3
17:35:44:760 failed to reconnect to network try=4
17:35:49:758 failed to reconnect to network try=5
17:35:54:762 failed to reconnect to network try=6
17:35:59:759 failed to reconnect to network try=7
17:36:04:757 failed to reconnect to network try=8
17:36:09:760 failed to reconnect to network try=9
17:36:11:258 Skip idle timer callback, too early: elapsed 948 msec
17:36:14:759 failed to reconnect to network try=10
17:36:19:757 reconnect network failed, try later
17:36:20:259 start reconnect to network
17:36:25:515 failed to reconnect to network try=1
17:36:30:762 failed to reconnect to network try=2
17:36:35:758 failed to reconnect to network try=3
17:36:40:758 failed to reconnect to network try=4
17:36:45:757 failed to reconnect to network try=5
17:36:50:796 failed to reconnect to network try=6
17:36:55:761 failed to reconnect to network try=7
17:37:00:757 failed to reconnect to network try=8
17:37:05:769 failed to reconnect to network try=9
17:37:09:258 Skip idle timer callback, too early: elapsed 933 msec
17:37:10:757 failed to reconnect to network try=10
17:37:15:757 reconnect network failed, try later
17:37:16:299 start reconnect to network
  1. when going to HA > Supervisor> System and click on Host options to see the hardware, I see the following

the details in these tabs are

Can you please advise what steps you performed to fix this issue?

Thanks
Mohsin