ConBee ZigBee Stick and HA, will this work together?

I have no sensors added in Home Assistant but multiple in deconze. Do I have to add sensors?

I meant to Deconz. What sensors have you got registered with Deconz?

AHi all, total n00b here, running:

• Raspberry Pi3./Hassio 0.61.1
  • Dresden-elektronik, ZigBee ConBee USB-dongle
  • Z-Wave Aeon Labs Z-Stick Gen5

I have stuffed my ConBee into one of USB-port of my Raspberry Pi3.

Checked out this:

Also tried to find the USB-port using this:

And got this as a result:
ZigBeeUSB

I have added the following to the config-file:
zigbee:
device: /dev/ttyACM4 (- with two leading spaces)

Tried …/ttyACM2 and 3 and 4 (1 is for Z-wave)

Restarted ResinOS and Hassio.
And getting this ERROR:

Log Details (ERROR)
Fri Jan 19 2018 20:41:56 GMT+0100 (Romance Standard Time)

Unable to open serial port for ZigBee: [Errno 2] could not open port /dev/ttyACM4: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: ‘/dev/ttyACM4’
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/usr/lib/python3.6/site-packages/serial/serialposix.py”, line 244, in open
self.fd = os.open(self.portstr, os.O_RDWR | os.O_NOCTTY | os.O_NONBLOCK)
FileNotFoundError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: ‘/dev/ttyACM4’

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/usr/lib/python3.6/site-packages/homeassistant/components/zigbee.py”, line 93, in setup
ser = Serial(usb_device, baud)
File “/usr/lib/python3.6/site-packages/serial/serialutil.py”, line 182, in init
self.open()
File “/usr/lib/python3.6/site-packages/serial/serialposix.py”, line 247, in open
raise SerialException(msg.errno, “could not open port {}: {}”.format(self._port, msg))
serial.serialutil.SerialException: [Errno 2] could not open port /dev/ttyACM4: [Errno 2] No such file or dir’/dev/ttyACM4’

Please someone.
What is the correct code in the configuration.yaml for ZigBee ConBee and how do I find the right USB-port to use. Do I use “database_path: zigbee.db”?

It’s not quite clear to me what hardware you have. It seems like it’s the HUSBZB-1 Zwave/ZigBee combo stick which is NOT a RaspBee or Conbee so has nothing to do with this thread. You’re looking instead for the zha component… and there are other threads dealing with the setup and config of that component.

This is my hardware:

• RPI3
  • Z-Wave Aeon Labs Z-Stick Gen5
  • Dresden-elektronik, ZigBee ConBee USB-dongle

Check out the last few posts here DeCONZ, ZHA and Zigbee components and compatible hardware

1 Like

Type in hassio host hardware. That will tell you what port dresden-elektronik is running on or atleast it will help narrow it down.

1 Like

Sorry if I’m asking a stupid question. I’m running HASS on a VM, on my server in the basement. Can I use a Raspberry Pi with a RaspBee and use this a gateway to replace a Hue hub and a Xiaomi gateway? Meaning that the Raspberry only runs deCONZ and not HASS?

Yes, you can.

You could probably expose Conbee to your VM on your server directly as well. Unless the same issue as with Docker occurs, @marthocoo might know more.

Thanks. I believe it’s better to use the RaspBee as the server is too far away from the Zigbee network

1 Like

Yes this is definitely the benefit of having the hardware standalone from your server and is how I’m currently using it. If you can plug the secondary Pi in via Ethernet all the better, you can also eliminate the wifi lag (not that I think there is much of any of that on my network but it could be a problem in some setups).

1 Like

I’m using the Conbee in kvm for now to circumvent the Docker issue. It’s working great, at least with the Xiaomi sensors. Having some issues with Trådfri lights not responding at times (but I think that’s a known issue).

I have three Tradfri lights and wouldn’t buy any more, personally. They didn’t work well with the Hue Bridge and they are better but not great with the RaspBee. Often they will just disappear from the network and need to be powered off and on again to reconnect. Meanwhile, my Philips Hue Lights are super stable and never seem to have any problems. You get what you pay for, I guess.

Would you mind sharing a guide on how to get a kvm up and running?

Couln’t disagree more. I don’t have a hue bridge. Just the deconz rpi. Own about 20 ikea bulbs. Al working great without loosing connection once.

The only issue atm is when rebooting the deconz rpi, not all devices are discovered properly. You have to reboot some of the routers, xiaomi outlets and ikea bulbs in my situation.

However the solution itself is rock solid, instantaneously and easy to use in conjunction with ikea bulbs.

That said I must say It could be worse when using a real hue bridge. I’m running HASS in a Ubuntu VM on a Hyper-v host.

Well yours and my anecdotes aside there are a number of issues on GitHub re Tradfri lights, there are known issues. Glad to hear that your setup is working though! Always nice when the issues pass you by :wink:

Getting deconz up and running in kvm is just a matter of installing Debian in kvm, but also assigning the conbee to be attached to the vm. I run unraid so it’s very point-and-clicky, but the config that needs to be added is:

<hostdev mode='subsystem' type='usb' managed='no'>
      <source>
        <vendor id='0x0403'/>
        <product id='0x6015'/>
        <address bus='1' device='11'/>
      </source>
      <alias name='hostdev0'/>
      <address type='usb' bus='0' port='1'/>
    </hostdev>

Once Debian is up and running, just install the deconz deb package from Dresden Elektronik’s website (dpkg -i deconz-2.04.99-qt5.deb). See my Dockerfile below for the packages you need to install beforehand. Hopefully, it should be working in Docker pretty soon anyway.

I’m not keen on reinstalling deconz now, but if I do, I’ll be sure to write a proper guide for this.

FROM ubuntu:xenial

ENV DECONZ_VERSION 2.04.99
ENV DEBIAN_FRONTEND noninteractive

RUN apt-get update && \
    apt-get install -y --no-install-recommends \
    ca-certificates \
    curl \
    libqt5core5a \
    libqt5network5 \
    libqt5widgets5 \
    libqt5gui5 \
    libqt5serialport5 \
    libqt5websockets5 \
    libqt5sql5 \
    sqlite3 && \
    apt-get clean

RUN curl -O https://www.dresden-elektronik.de/deconz/ubuntu/beta/deconz-${DECONZ_VERSION}-qt5.deb && \
    dpkg -i deconz-${DECONZ_VERSION}-qt5.deb && \
    rm deconz-${DECONZ_VERSION}-qt5.deb

RUN chown root:root /usr/bin/deCONZ*

VOLUME ["/root/.local/share/dresden-elektronik/deCONZ"]

CMD /usr/bin/deCONZ --auto-connect=1 -platform minimal --http-port=8080 --dbg-error=1
1 Like

The Trådfri lights have been rock-solid using the Trådfri gateway, especially after the last few updates. Using conbee however is a different story. Guessing it’s this issue, so I’m using the Tradfri gateway for the light until they release an update to address this.

Because I don’t fully understand, but I have your flow working in my setup, what’s the use case?