Configurating KNX integration with USB interface for bus

Hi! Is there any way to configure KNX integration with connecting to bus via USB interface?
I’ve connected to my bus with USB interface by Module Electronic. Link in store: https://knx24.com/catalog/goods/1436564/
Sorry, I am a new user, so I cant use more than one media-file.
And now I need to connect my bus to Home Assistant, but I can’t: KNX integration needed IP address and this thing haven’t any. Settings of this USB interface in ETS5 bus interfaces I will try to load in the comments.
KNX integration settings:

So, is there any idea which settings will be correct? I tried my computer local IP, but it didn’t work, however, I might be wrong in some settings, honestly, I’m not sure that should I use tunneling or routing.
My bus is connected to my computer via USB locally and Home Assistant is working on the other device (Jethub) in my local network.

Settings of this USB interface in ETS5 bus interfaces:

Hi :wave:!
Knx via USB is not supported by the HA Knx integration. You need a Knx IP interface.

There is however software that can use a Knx USB connection to provide a Knx IP Server, but this isn’t part of HA. Have a search for “Calimero” or “knxd”.

I know, I am a little late, stuck with my work :slight_smile:
Have you ever worked with these repositories?
I tried to use Calimero, but dont understand how to run it :frowning: KNXd, as i understand, avaliable only on Linux and I have only Win 10.
Ill be thankfull if you help me a little bit, there is no simple guides for users like me, I suppose…
Do I need somehow to run Java runtime and type something in?

No, I did not use either of them in production. (Nor do I have any experience with running HA on Windows). Maybe have a look here for some help KNXD add-on: covert your KNX-USB interface into an IP interface that can be used by HA - #248 by da-anda

My recommendation would be to get a proper Knx IP Interface and call it a day.
Otherwise you’d have to consult the documentation of the tool of your choice.

1 Like

if you are running HA on a Windows host, you are out of luck with the add-on farmio linked. This only works on HomeAssistant OS. But you can probably use WSL2 on Windows and run knxd there. Or, read the docs of Calimero (never worked with it, so can’t help there)

Oh, I made a mistake in my explanation.
I have a Windows PC, connected knx usb-interface to it, and also a mini PC with Armbian Linux Debian 12, where HA is running actually.
As I understand it, I cant use KNXD add-on anyway.
So now I connecnted my knx usb-interface to the mini PC and I have succesfully installed KNXD on the Linux:
I need to edit the configuration file (knxd.conf), I suppose, but I dont understand what I need to type in to make knxd work. Can u help me?

I haven’t used command line parameters for knxd in over a decade (my add-on uses the ini approach) - so no idea which parameters you will need. But it appears that all you need to do on your linux distro is to adjust the KNXD_OPTS in /etc/knxd.conf to your needs. To know which parameters exist, best is to check the man pages or maybe the knxd github repo (GitHub - knxd/knxd).

but what you basically need for ETS and HA to work is a knx router and tunnel (TCP) and probably tell knxd to use a USB interface if it doesn’t detect it automatically

Thanks!
You said that I need “knx router and tunnel (TCP)” - but KNXD must emulating knx router, am I wrong?
So, all I need is Linux PC, knxd and usb-interface. Right?

both are options/features you can enable in knxd. You can try with only router and see if both HA and ETS are happy. If not, also enable a tunnel. Simple try and error - I am no knxd expert. In doubt, google what you need to enable in knxd in order for ETS to work

1 Like