Confused on how to configure Areas

yes, really need a area for entities! :flushed:

4 Likes

So, how do I add existing automations to areas? The + only appears to allow me to add new automations. My automations are includes in config/automation.

Unfortunately there no option in the gear section to change the area of an entity. Can you please tell me how to change the area?

You can only put devices in areas, not entities.

UI needs to be improved here. I took me a while to find how to change the area.

1 Like

I have such devices like LED strips, they are seen as devices, however when I put them in a light group (which is what I want) then HA doesn’t see it as a device but just as an entity. If only it were possible to have light and device groups were seen as devices.

Trying for first time to manipulate areas but I got this error after getting hass-cli installed:

root@hassio:/# hass-cli device assign Kitchen "Kitchen Light 2"
SSL handshake failed
protocol: <asyncio.sslproto.SSLProtocol object at 0x7f3bebc9cb70>
transport: <_SelectorSocketTransport fd=6 read=polling write=<idle, bufsize=0>>
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/asyncio/sslproto.py", line 625, in _on_handshake_complete
    raise handshake_exc
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/asyncio/sslproto.py", line 189, in feed_ssldata
    self._sslobj.do_handshake()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/ssl.py", line 763, in do_handshake
ssl.SSLError: [SSL: WRONG_VERSION_NUMBER] wrong version number (_ssl.c:1056)
SSL error in data received
protocol: <asyncio.sslproto.SSLProtocol object at 0x7f3bebc9cb70>
transport: <_SelectorSocketTransport closing fd=6 read=idle write=<idle, bufsize=0>>
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/asyncio/sslproto.py", line 526, in data_received
    ssldata, appdata = self._sslpipe.feed_ssldata(data)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/asyncio/sslproto.py", line 189, in feed_ssldata
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/ssl.py", line 763, in do_handshake
ssl.SSLError: [SSL: WRONG_VERSION_NUMBER] wrong version number (_ssl.c:1056)
error: ClientConnectorSSLError: Cannot connect to host 192.168.1.104:8123 ssl:default [[SSL: WRONG_VERSION_NUMBER] wrong version number (_ssl.c:1056)]
Run with -x to see full exception information
root@hassio:/# 

I recommend starting a new post with ‘hass-cli’ in the title. You’re going to get very few hits with this post. You should also place the post in the developers section of the forums.

I resolved my issue by changing my export from SSL to non-SSL as I haven’t properly set up SSL yet…

export HASS_SERVER=https://hassio:8123
export HASS_TOKEN=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciO…

to:
export HASS_SERVER=http://hassio:8123
export HASS_TOKEN=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciO…

So we can’t configure groups via the UI anymore and areas don’t exist as entities so we can’t control whole rooms. Something that Google Home has that Home Assistant doesn’t! :upside_down_face:

I read we can define “all” as an entity which would control everything in that domain. I would like to see anyone that uses this, there would need to be exceptions in almost every scenario. It would be handy if we had an exclude for this or just a way to use groups without tedious yaml maintenance every time we add a new device.

I don’t know about you, but I don’t keep adding devices every day and I wouldn’t call it tedious to add one line to a file…

FWIW, I read that you will be able to add entities to areas in the next or one of the next releases.

1 Like

No, I don’t add them every day either. If I could afford it, maybe I would. New users migrating or being lucky enough to purchase everything in one go would feel the pain though. And to maintain a list in YAML for me is easy, now I know I have to assign everything into a group as I add it. It’s just another quick thing to do when adding a device but none of that is the point. HA is on a big push to make the front end viable and the lack of GUI group config, or area control, is glaring, IMHO.

Being able to add entities to areas is great, but what’s the point if you can’t control those areas?

Never been able to

Sorry you’re right! In my frustration I scanned this and also that group.all* had been deprecated and assumed groups were being side lined.
Kind of says something for how integral group configuration should be when in my head it was there all along :joy:

Hum it’s very confusing all of that… I’m new here, and I’m totally lost. Even more after reading this topic lol.

How am supposed to add entities if they are not related to a device ???

Speedtest and Raspberry Power Status for exemple ?

It’s not simple…!

You can’t. Why are you trying to add speed test to an area? Are you just trying to lay out your interface? If that’s the case, you should look into taking control over your UI instead of relying on areas to organize it.

Thanks for your answer but it’s just a basic example…

And to add information to my comment… you can’t define a room for Speedtest… but, you can add the Entity in the Room… I’m lost.

If you added the entity to the room, then what’s the problem?

You add it by the UI not the system… I don’t get it.

You have to be a device to be in a room for the system, but, for the UI you can be what you want.

So the Room in the system is useless ?

It has some uses, but not much. I think there’s a few trigger types that accept area as an input. Other than that… pretty much useless.

1 Like