Connect Zigbee Stick / CC2531 to a different server / satellite?

Hi all,

I have a small server (VM) with Home Assistant runnning in my basement. I also have a Zigbee USB stick (CC2531) connected to the server and it works fine. However, there is no chance I can extend the range of the CC2531 to my appartment where most of the Zigbee devices are. This would require many repeaters in the stair case which is not really an option.

Is there any way how I can connect the Zigbee stick to some kind of “satellite” server which I can place in my appartment (e.g. a RaspberryPi) but still use the HA server in the basement? For me this kinda looks like the best solution… Any ideas?

Thank you!

EDIT: For anyone who is interested. I used the instruction provided by @septillion and installed ser2net on a RbPi in my apartment with the CC2531 plugged in and connected to my HA server using Zigbee2MQTT. Works like a charm!

See: How to connect to a remote adapter | zigbee2mqtt.io

Awesome! That’s exactly what I was looking for. Does this also work with the “standard” Zigbee integration in HA? Or is it the same as Zigbee2MQTT? Sorry for the noob question…

As far as I know ZHA does not support this. But I do like Zigbee2MQTT over ZHA anyway :stuck_out_tongue:

Alright, let me give it a try. Thanks a lot!

Use serial2tcp :wink:
I use similar to connect my w10’s host to ha-hyperV :yum:
Ofc this would work from any w10 machine

i guess something like serial2tcp exists for linux, but haven’t checked this