Connection TFT display 40 pins based on ILI9341 in ESP8266

This display has 40 pins and I couldn’t find instructions anywhere if it can be connected to the ESP8266? I can’t find the D/C or MOSI or BL or MISO pin for example.
Thank you

This looks to be the 16 bit parallel version of the display. ESPHome only supports the SPI version.

Also note that using ESPHome an ESP8266 will not have enough resources to run the SPI version of this display. You will need an ESP32 with additional PSRAM (i.e. a WROVER variant).

1 Like

thanks, can you please recommend a similar display that will go into ESP8266?

Actually a SPI ILI9341 should be fine - it’s when you get to ILI 9488 that bigger horsepower is required… Apologies for that.

The ESPHome Display page has a bunch of compatible displays listed. Just note the caveats for higher resolution displays:

The ILI9xxx display platform allows you to use ILI9341 (datasheet, Aliexpress) and other displays from the same chip family with ESPHome. As this is a somewhat higher resolution display and may require pins beyond the typical SPI connections, it is better suited for use with the ESP32.

Most of the projects running on ESP8266 chips that I have use monochrome displays like the SSD1306

This is unfortunately quite small. Wouldn’t this one work for example? Dotykový displej 2.4" 240x320 SPI TFT ILI9341 | dratek.cz

Maybe create a new topic, but it has already been asked:

So maybe order some ESP32s when you order the display.

ESP32 is quite a broad term. What ESP32 model exactly? Maybe this one?
https://www.hadex.cz/m432o-esp32-devkitc-vyvojova-deska-s-modulem-esp-wroom-32e/

I use ILI9341 up to 3.2" size on esp32 and they work without problems including the touch layer. I use esp modules that are cheaper than the ones in the mentioned link, see cz forum :wink:

Yes - that one is fine. Will work with SPI ILI9xxx display up to 320x240 resolution.

I recently purchased two of these 3.2-inch 320X240 ILI9341 SPI displays for ESP32-Audio-Kit displays. Easy to connect, worked great first try.

I bought the ESP32-WROOM-32E board

and connected the ILI9488 3.5 TFT SPI 480x320 V1.0 display to it

Connected to 5V and pins according to the code:

esphome:
  name: tablo-dvere-dole
  friendly_name: tablo_dvere_dole

esp32:
  board: nodemcu-32s
  framework:
    type: arduino

# Enable logging
logger:

# Enable Home Assistant API
api:
  encryption:
    key: ".............................................."

ota:
  password: ".............................................."

wifi:
  ssid: !secret wifi_ssid
  password: !secret wifi_password

# Enable fallback hotspot (captive portal) in case wifi connection fails
  ap:
    ssid: "Tablo-Dvere-Dole"
    password: ".............................."

captive_portal:
time:
  - platform: sntp
    id: sntp_time
    servers: 100.100.100.120

spi:
 clk_pin: 18 # ILI/ SCK
 mosi_pin: 23 # ILI/ SDI(MOSI)
 miso_pin: 19 # ILI/ SDO(MISO) není potřeba pokud neodesíláš data z ILI a to neodesíláš

display:
  - platform: ili9xxx
    model: ILI9488
    cs_pin: 4 # ILI/ CS 
    dc_pin: 27 # ILI/ DC
    reset_pin: 33 # ILI/ Reset
    id: box_ha_display
    pages:
      - id: page1
        lambda: |-
          it.fill(Color::BLACK);
          it.strftime(80, 80, id(hodiny_font), id(moje_barva_zelena), "%H:%M:%S", id(sntp_time).now());

color:
  - id: moje_barva_zelena
    red: 50%
    green: 100%
    blue: 5%

font:
  - file: fonts/RobotoMono-Regular.ttf
    id: hodiny_font
    size: 10

# Define a PWM output on the ESP32
output:
  - platform: ledc
    pin: 32
    id: gpio_32_backlight_pwm

# Define a monochromatic, dimmable light for the backlight
light:
  - platform: monochromatic
    output: gpio_32_backlight_pwm
    name: "BOX HA podsvícení"
    id: back_light
    restore_mode: ALWAYS_ON

The display lights up but nothing is shown on it. What could be the problem please

The problem is you bought the ILI9488 instead of the 9341. Or the problem is you bough a WROOM32 instead of a WROVER.

Read through all the posts above. The WROVER is needed to run an ILI9488. The WROOM would have been fine with an ILI9341

OK so this should work correctly?

Hardware
• Interfaces: GPIO, SPI, LCD, UART, I2C, I2S, Camera interface, IR, pulse counter, LED PWM, USB
1.1 OTG, ADC, DAC, touch sensor, temperature sensor
• 40 MHz crystal oscillator
• 4 MB SPI flash
2 MB PSRAM
• Operating voltage/Power supply: 3.0-3.6V
• Operating temperature range: –40-85°C
• Dimensions: (18 × 31 × 3.3) mm

It has 2MB PSRAM, I assume that will be enough, although the boards I use have 4MB. Maybe someone can chime in with an opinion.

Thanks, unfortunately I can’t find a similar board with 4MB, then only something from arduino, not ESP…

No problem. I tend to buy from China when I am not in a hurry. For example:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001278643249.html

Hope it works for you.

Hi,
I am Interfacing ILI9341 Driver Supported TFT Display with Raspberry Pi 3+ Board via SPI, But images are Not Displaying Can you please Suggest what is the Problem.