Connectivity Issues - duckdns

I am having the same error as well. It stops my HA from loading properly, preventing me from accessing it all together. When I comment the DuckDNS lines from my config and reboot HA begins to work. I had DuckDNS working before 73 update, but now it doesn’t work at all. Is it possible to run DuckDNS without Letsencrypt?

Spent today setting up a new RaspberryPi so that HA is installed installed locally, i.e. via pip install homeassistant and then configured duckdns. After a while the same thing started happening, i.e. the inability to load the interface over the public interface when on the private network even though it initially worked.

This is starting to get very annoying.

Reverting back to 0.72.1 results in the same problem…

And the same problem all the way back to 0.71.0. So this is something that’s been around for a while. This is really annoying as it essentially makes HA unusable, not being able to load the UI is kind of a big deal…

The only workaround I’ve found is to use a VPN when on my internal network.

Done a bit of experimenting with mine and it appears it’s something to do with when the LetsEncrypt certificate renewed.

DuckDNS works perfectly if I reconfigure to use http and the add-on log implies all is OK…

# INFO: Using main config file /data/workdir/config
+ Account already registered!
Tue Jul 17 11:20:39 BST 2018: OK
XXX.XXX.XX.XXX
UPDATED
# INFO: Using main config file /data/workdir/config
Processing myname.duckdns.org
 + Checking domain name(s) of existing cert... unchanged.
 + Checking expire date of existing cert...
 + Valid till Oct 9 17:28:51 2018 GMT (Longer than 30 days). Skipping renew!

Working back 90 days from the valid date would be about when it started …or more correctly stopped!

@skymoo, this would explain why reverting HA versions makes no difference.

Doh, guess who feels silly!

Don’t know how it happened but… I used to run a duckDNS updater on my Microserver but swapped to the hassio one when I started using a dedicated vpn with it. I’d uninstalled it and all had been good through many months and restarts until a Windows update suddenly decided to bring it back from the dead! So, as soon as the pi had set the IP right, the server app set it to the vpn’s IP and broke things, the fact I got it to work without https was a complete fluke in the moments when it was set correctly.

Sorry this doesn’t help anyone, just a little anecdote to illustrate the problem doesn’t always lie in the most obvious place!

I’m getting these errors in my log as well. I’m running 73.2 (I noticed them in 73.1 as well) in Docker with LetsEncrypt set up. It actually works fine though, my browser says it’s a secure connection. I get the error doing task as well as ssl handshake errors.

+1

Just updated to HassOS 73.2 from Hass.io 70.1, and the following errors are quite common, although I can access everything fine most of the time. Have run into issues with climate control (Sensibo) not always communicating between HA and API server. Running on RPi 3, with DuckDNS (with Let’s Encrypt bundle).

Updated the Sensibo API and DuckDNS token as suggested in latest blog post and they work fine, but the errors still pop up, despite communication working as supposed to most of the time.

Never seen these errors in previous versions:

2018-07-19 00:45:12 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.core] Error doing job: SSL handshake failed
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "uvloop/sslproto.pyx", line 593, in uvloop.loop.SSLProtocol._on_handshake_complete
  File "uvloop/sslproto.pyx", line 171, in uvloop.loop._SSLPipe.feed_ssldata
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/ssl.py", line 689, in do_handshake
    self._sslobj.do_handshake()
ssl.SSLError: [SSL: UNKNOWN_PROTOCOL] unknown protocol (_ssl.c:841)

2018-07-19 00:45:12 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.core] Error doing job: SSL error errno:1 reason: UNKNOWN_PROTOCOL
  File "uvloop/sslproto.pyx", line 497, in uvloop.loop.SSLProtocol.data_received
  File "uvloop/sslproto.pyx", line 204, in uvloop.loop._SSLPipe.feed_ssldata
ssl.SSLError: [SSL: UNKNOWN_PROTOCOL] unknown protocol (_ssl.c:841)

2018-07-19 00:51:48 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.core] Error executing service <ServiceCall notify.myiphone: title=<homeassistant.helpers.template.Template object at 0x756b1570>, message=<homeassistant.helpers.template.Template object at 0x6da32ed0>>
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/urllib3/connectionpool.py", line 384, in _make_request
    six.raise_from(e, None)
  File "<string>", line 2, in raise_from
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/urllib3/connectionpool.py", line 380, in _make_request
    httplib_response = conn.getresponse()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/http/client.py", line 1331, in getresponse
    response.begin()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/http/client.py", line 297, in begin
    version, status, reason = self._read_status()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/http/client.py", line 258, in _read_status
    line = str(self.fp.readline(_MAXLINE + 1), "iso-8859-1")
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/socket.py", line 586, in readinto
    return self._sock.recv_into(b)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/ssl.py", line 1009, in recv_into
    return self.read(nbytes, buffer)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/ssl.py", line 871, in read
    return self._sslobj.read(len, buffer)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/ssl.py", line 631, in read
    v = self._sslobj.read(len, buffer)
socket.timeout: The read operation timed out

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/requests/adapters.py", line 445, in send
    timeout=timeout
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/urllib3/connectionpool.py", line 638, in urlopen
    _stacktrace=sys.exc_info()[2])
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/urllib3/util/retry.py", line 367, in increment
    raise six.reraise(type(error), error, _stacktrace)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/urllib3/packages/six.py", line 686, in reraise
    raise value
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/urllib3/connectionpool.py", line 600, in urlopen
    chunked=chunked)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/urllib3/connectionpool.py", line 386, in _make_request
    self._raise_timeout(err=e, url=url, timeout_value=read_timeout)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/urllib3/connectionpool.py", line 306, in _raise_timeout
    raise ReadTimeoutError(self, url, "Read timed out. (read timeout=%s)" % timeout_value)
urllib3.exceptions.ReadTimeoutError: HTTPSConnectionPool(host='ios-push.home-assistant.io', port=443): Read timed out. (read timeout=10)

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/homeassistant/core.py", line 1021, in _event_to_service_call
    await service_handler.func(service_call)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/homeassistant/components/notify/__init__.py", line 137, in async_notify_message
    yield from notify_service.async_send_message(**kwargs)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/concurrent/futures/thread.py", line 56, in run
    result = self.fn(*self.args, **self.kwargs)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/homeassistant/components/notify/ios.py", line 94, in send_message
    req = requests.post(PUSH_URL, json=data, timeout=10)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/requests/api.py", line 112, in post
    return request('post', url, data=data, json=json, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/requests/api.py", line 58, in request
    return session.request(method=method, url=url, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/requests/sessions.py", line 512, in request
    resp = self.send(prep, **send_kwargs)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/requests/sessions.py", line 622, in send
    r = adapter.send(request, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/requests/adapters.py", line 526, in send
    raise ReadTimeout(e, request=request)
requests.exceptions.ReadTimeout: HTTPSConnectionPool(host='ios-push.home-assistant.io', port=443): Read timed out. (read timeout=10)

I’ve been experiencing the same issues as you. Can access externally but not on the local network. I’m not sure why it’s happening but the only fix I have found is to turn power off to the router and RPi running Hass, then restart the router and wait to settle, then power up the Pi. Alternatively, like you, I found it would just sort itself out after a couple of days. I’m using EE Brightbox by the way - just to flush out any possible hardware related issues.

same problem here: https://github.com/home-assistant/home-assistant/issues/15579

2018-07-27 11:07:07 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.core] Error doing job: SSL handshake failed
  File "uvloop/handles/stream.pyx", line 609, in uvloop.loop.UVStream._on_eof
ssl.SSLError: [SSL: HTTP_REQUEST] http request (_ssl.c:841)
2018-07-27 11:07:07 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.core] Error doing job: SSL error errno:1 reason: HTTP_REQUEST
  File "uvloop/sslproto.pyx", line 504, in uvloop.loop.SSLProtocol.data_received
ssl.SSLError: [SSL: HTTP_REQUEST] http request (_ssl.c:841)

Any progress with this issue? I have the same problem

Error doing job: SSL error errno:1 reason: HTTP_REQUEST
10:05 /usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/homeassistant/core.py (ERROR)
Error doing job: SSL handshake failed
10:05 /usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/homeassistant/core.py (ERROR)

same issue here :frowning:

running latest hass.io + duckdns addon, can’t access xxx.duckdns.org from local wifi, but only via 4G.

I installed DNSmasq as suggested on some other topic, but that did not help.

I just setup duckDNS with SSL on hass.io 0.74.2
Everything is working perfectly and can access it from the home wifi and outside.

I do see the same error in the log:

Error doing job: SSL error errno:1 reason: HTTP_REQUEST
8:42 AM /usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/homeassistant/core.py (ERROR)
Error doing job: SSL handshake failed
8:42 AM /usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/homeassistant/core.py (ERROR)

So if people are referring to the “same issue” here on the messages of the past few days then I guess they refer to the errors in the log. Not connectivity issues.

Seeing the same error messages. Can connect but it is filling my logs. hassio 0.74.2

I also have the same behavior. No issues connecting but logs full of SSL errors. Duck DNS add on in Hassio. HA version 0.74.2

2018-08-01 18:04:08 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.core] Error doing job: SSL error errno:1 reason: TLSV1_ALERT_DECRYPT_ERROR
ssl.SSLError: [SSL: TLSV1_ALERT_DECRYPT_ERROR] tlsv1 alert decrypt error (_ssl.c:841)
2018-08-01 18:04:09 ERROR (SyncWorker_1) [homeassistant.core] Error doing job: Task was destroyed but it is pending!
2018-08-01 18:04:09 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.core] Error doing job: SSL handshake failed
  File "uvloop/handles/stream.pyx", line 609, in uvloop.loop.UVStream._on_eof
ssl.SSLError: [SSL: TLSV1_ALERT_DECRYPT_ERROR] tlsv1 alert decrypt error (_ssl.c:841)
2018-08-01 18:04:09 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.core] Error doing job: SSL error errno:1 reason: TLSV1_ALERT_DECRYPT_ERROR

issue is already submitted -> https://github.com/home-assistant/home-assistant/issues/15579#
Just subscribe to the issue (fix it if you can) or wait for a fix.

1 Like

That fixed it.

This does seem to fix it! But why? What is Cors, and if it is now required to give it special access, why isn’t this in the documentation, or even just mentioned by the developers? Surely that would be an easy fix for the users of this add-on?

I do still see the occasional “Task was destroyed” error, but the majority of the spam is now gone.

Didn’t work for me Afterall, spam returned I’m afraid, I edited the post back there this morning if you want to check :frowning: