ControllerX. Bring full functionality to light and media player controllers

@xaviml Thanks, so basically I should run another docker with Zigbee2mqtt and then connect mqtt configuration of HA to this server?

Or should I really get a Zigbee hub to connect the devices to it instead of the IKEA hub? I understood the IKEA hub was using zigbee.

I really think I am missing something in the architecture of this integration here.

Should it be:

Device (ex: E1810Controller) <-> IKEA Tradfri Gateway <-> Zigbee2Mqtt (install a server somewhere or docker) <-> mqtt config with autodiscovery in HA <-> controllerx

If you have an IKEA Hub the architecture is:

Device <-> IKEA Tradfri Gateway <-> HA

However, this architecture is not integrated with ControllerX but this is because the IKEA Gateway gives the logic to the lights by default already.

Then you have the following architecture with Zigbee2mqtt:

Device <-> Zigbee2mqtt <-> mqtt broker <-> HA <-> AppDaemon <-> ControllerX

However in order to run Zigbee2mqtt you will need the CC2531 sniffer that will replace the IKEA Gateway.

I hope this clarifies what you wanted to know.

1 Like

@xaviml Very clear.

I understand the logic can be done by the IKEA Gateway. My hope was to use devices to control other things in my home assistant since it is pretty hard to find buttons, switches, etc with a decent price. For example, having a button to switch off all the lights in the living room (IKEA, Tuya, etcā€¦) and sockets (different brands) would be nice.

Smartghings is more expensive and also need a hub. Not sure itā€™s the way to go.

I am not sure what is the best approach to be able to add ā€œbuttonsā€ that I can click to trigger automation in HA. My phone is usually the way to go but when having friends at home they would appreciate to be able to switch of lights. Alexa is not really friendly if you donā€™t know the names of the entities.

I understand your problem. I believe that the only integration for the IKEA gateway is this one. However, it does not integrate the controllers to HA, just the lights. This means, you need a system where the controller can communicate to HA. You have three main options:

• zigbee2mqtt (supported by ControllerX)
  • deCONZ (supported by ControllerX)
  • zha (not supported yet, but it will soon)

Correct me if anything I said is wrong, especially the part of not being able to connect the IKEA controllers to HA through the IKEA tradfri gateway.

Is there a way to add a double click to the E1743 controller?

For example when pressing the on button thatā€™s the I on the E1743 for me. And trigger an automation or a boolean.

Iā€™m looking for a way to disable the timer for the toilet. And double pressing the I button the remote would be a great future. Thanks in advance

I think you are asking for two things:

• Custom service calls
  • Double click mock support

Regarding the first one, I am planning to create an Automation where you will be able to configure through apps.yaml to call any service you when with the mapping you want.

About the second point, it is something I have thought. The problem is that most of the controllers do not support double click (e.g. E1743), but I have thought of mocking the double click by capturing the click action. However, it is something that it might not be implemented for a while.

Your correct I was asking for two things :sweat_smile:. But I think the ikea remotes are limited in what the can do. I will look for a similar remote that has more options.

And the first one with automations sounds nice. I was rethinking my question and I can get away with only the automation that would give me more options then the double click.

Which country you live in?

Itā€™s perfect. I read the description too quickly and thought IKEA hub could be seen as a Zigbee Hub. The good news is that I discovered ControllerX and HACS. Will get a proper hub to connect the devices. Thanks for your advice.

1 Like

Iā€™ve heard that the xiaomi cube has plenty of options to trigger automations. I am waiting for one of those to come, and I will see what I can do with it for ControllerX.

I am currently living in Spain, why are you asking, if I may ask?

Well Iā€™m thinking of buying some new zigbee remotes. I might as well buy you one also. Makes it easy to program and as a thank you for your work.

Iā€™m in the Netherlands btw

1 Like

I just sent you a PM :slight_smile:

Just wanted to say this is awesome, and Iā€™m looking forward to the ZHA integration :slight_smile: I would be happy to test with HUSBZB-1.

Thanks @nosuch, I will contact you to do some testing for it! Which controllers do you have?

Hi @nosuch, I released a beta version with the ZHA support. For the moment I just added support to E1743, if you possess this device, you can follow this instructions. Thanks you!

Thatā€™s awesome, thank you! Iā€™ll check the instructions and give it a try. I have the Symfonisk audio dial which I think is the 1743 so it should work. I also have a Hue Tap switch, is that something you have considered or is this just for dimmable/rotary sensors? Tbh I havenā€™t used the Ikea sensor at all yet so will have to pair it and get things up and running.

Hey @nosuch, the E1743 is a simple button with on/off and brightness up/down actions, but iā€™s not rotatory. The rotatory one is the E1744. For the moment I just gave support for E1743 since the way ZHA works with the actions is much different than z2m and deconz, so itā€™s still a work in progress. Once I give support for E1744 or thr Phillips Hue dimmer switch for ZHA, I will let you know :slight_smile: Thanks!

1 Like

@xaviml All perfect with a Deconz usb gateway. Just received it and itā€™s exactly what I needed.

1 Like

Hello xaviml !

I just configure your app to make an ikea E1810 control a bulb from ikea too, from z2m i was not able to control the color temp. from the bulb and now i have that option.

Jsut one question: Is there a way, with a automation for exemple, to connect or disconnect some ā€œbindingsā€ or better to enable or disable some apps?

I didn,t want my controller to stay forever just controlling one bulb.

Sorry but i dont know if you were talking about something like i want when you gave this awnser to an user up here:

Regarding the first one, I am planning to create an Automation where you will be able to configure through apps.yaml to call any service you when with the mapping you want

Hey @nosuch, I created a new pre-released v2.2.0b2 with support to the symfonisk controller, E1810 (Light and media player) and E1743 for ZHA. If you try, let me know if it works, thanks! :slight_smile:
I have tried it and it worked from my end.

Hi @finipini,

I am glad you can use the color_temp now. I am not 100% for what you are asking, but I undestand that you toggle, dim and bright the light through groups with z2m and you donā€™t want controllerx to do those actions since they do it already through zigbee groups. Is this right? If this is so, there is an option called actions that you can set the actions you want to include (by default it includes all of them - toggle, bright up/down, color up/down). For you case your config would look like:

nameOfYourInstanceApp:
  module: controllerx
  class: E1810Controller
  sensor: <sensor(s) entity id>
  light: <light, group entity id>
  actions:
    - arrow_left_hold
    - arrow_left_release
    - arrow_right_hold
    - arrow_right_release
    - arrow_right_click
    - arrow_left_click

So this will just let the controller to control the color_temp and not the toggle and the brightness.