Create a new energy card; energy-heat-graph in GJ

I was pleasantly surprised when I read that the GJ unit was supported now (2022.11, I think), but the energy-gas-graph doesn’t seem to understand this. I’ve created a topic with my issues a long time ago, but perhaps the problem is that an alternative dashboard card is needed to the gas one; eg energy-heat-graph, which assumes a different source of heat than the burning of gas.

My problem with the energy dashboard would be solved if I could use a heat-graph card instead of a gas-graph one.

The advantage of this alternative card is that should someone want to add or modify the energy-gas-graph to accept GJ instead of m³ gas, it would be confusing.

Perhaps a better solution would be to replace the energy-gas-graph card with the new, more generic, card for heating energy and be able to choose the energy unit (GJ,m³,kWh), I don’t know if more units than those three are required (liters of oil, shovels of coal, etc. are a bit difficult to combine with HA, I guess). I don’t know how disruptive this would be for existing users of the energy-gas-graph card, as the replacement would probably break existing dashboards without some sort of conversion in the configuration?. After downloading the source, I realise this feature would probably be 99% in the frontend repository, but I haven’t checked thoroughly.

Well - I am trying to add my “warmtelink” to energy dashboard, and I was surprised that the title under gas, when adding a source, says it is supporting Gj. After adding, I get a warning the sensor isnt in KWh or M3… so I clearly think this is overlooked by the HASS team.

The sensor however does work - but somehow shows kWh for my heat use. I am about to update to the release of 2023 to see if there perhaps is a fix it. This, as a believe there were changes to allow GJ in 2022.11 and 2022.12 (currently on 2022.11.8).

Edit:
To add 2023.1 isn’t solving this,

I opened an issue on github → Energy Dashboard does not fully support "GJ" as a measuring type · Issue #85188 · home-assistant/core · GitHub

Turns out, warmtelink is reported back as a gas sensor, but actualy needs to be an energy sensor.
Keep an eye on the github - it might solve some of your trouble as well.

1 Like

Thanks, I had another problem where my heat “sensor” was configured as “measurement”, instead of total_increasing. I’ve now configured my heating to use the direct GJ value in the energy dashboard.

Unfortunately this also causes my history until now to disappear :frowning: Though I don’t see how this could (or should) be fixed. I guess it would be nice of you switched from gas to block-heating or something else, to be able to compare a ballpark usage figure. But it’s not just the unit that’s different, the heat source is probably also different (not in my case, since I already calculated the m³ equivalent for my GJ values). So the question is then if the amounts could be compared…

Anyway, apart from the translations/strings I guess my issues are fixed, though with some unfortunate side effects… (and the heat unit is still kWh in the panel). BTW I’m using the English language in the webui, so for me translation problems to Dutch were never an issue)

I agree, a general heating-energy card might be better.

I too have block heating or shared heating, where I pay for how many GigaJoules of energy I’ve used.
If I can add that as an energy source without having to disguise it as “gas”, that would be awesome.

Also, people will have different sources of energy, each with their own costs.
It is not unlikely that one person will have only electricity and water, while a different person may have solar, a shared heat pump or city heating, additional gas heating and general electricity.
We don’t know how many sources of energy someone has and we don’t know what units they use.
What we do know is that every source can have their own cost, and every source can have their own unit, most likely a form of Watt, Joules, or cubic metres of gas.
Also also, some energy may be returned or sold, which would mean monetary income instead.

If we could somehow make this flexible so that people can add as many energy sources as they like, then that might help in the future too.

Sensors with the following properties are accepted in the Gas card

unit_of_measurement: “GJ”
device_class: energy
state_class: ‘total_increasing’

The gas graph on the energy dashboard however shows Kwh, this is not convenient in situations where billing is based on GJ consumption. Introduction of an energy card that shows GJ’s would be appreciated. GJ is a generally accepted unit of measure for Energy. Making the unit in the Gas graph customizable (Kwh, GJ and maybe more) via the settings could be an alternative.

2 Likes

Any progress? For now i calculate the sensor from GJ to m³, but i will much rather have it in GJ!