Custom Component for printer ink levels

Got it working, although, had to change

output = “”

` to

output = “{”

on line 16 of the python script.

Thanks a lot.

The Hassio Addon ( https://github.com/james-fry/hassio-addons ) is working fine with my Canon MG6400 series Inkjet.

Thanks everybody - this has helped me pluck up the courage to delve into MQTT and Lovelace custom addons which have been dark arts to me so far!!

Canon6450

Great jg.balcombe! But why don’t we just grab it with a command_line sensor?

sensor:

- platform: command_line
    name: printer_color
    scan_interval: 21600
    command: curl -s http://192.168.0.23/DevMgmt/ConsumableConfigDyn.xml | grep -m1 'dd:ConsumablePercentageLevelRemaining' | sed 's/\s*<.*>\(.*\)<.*>/\1/'

name: printer_black
    scan_interval: 21600
    command: curl -s http://192.168.0.23/DevMgmt/ConsumableConfigDyn.xml | grep "dd:ConsumablePercentageLevelRemaining" | sed 's/\s*<.*>\(.*\)<.*>/\1/' | tail +2

name: printer_status
    scan_interval: 10
    command: curl -s http://192.168.0.23/DevMgmt/ProductStatusDyn.xml | grep "pscat:StatusCategory" | sed 's/\s*<.*>\(.*\)<.*>/\1/' | tail +2

- platform: template
    sensors:
      printer_status_template:
        value_template: >-
          {% if is_state("sensor.printer_status", "ready") %}
            On
          {% elif is_state("sensor.printer_status", "inPowerSave") %}  
            Idle
          {% elif is_state("sensor.printer_status", "processing") %}  
            Printing
          {% elif is_state("sensor.printer_status", "") %}  
            Off
          {% else %}
            {{ states.sensor.printer_status.state }}
          {% endif %}

And it seems like even the printers web server fetches from the xml file

Hi - perfectly fine. At the start of this, I mentioned this was just a hack to get to the information - as previously people were trying to use SNMP to access the levels which weren’t showing.

Lots of good ways to do this, you’ve just shown another.

In fact there’s a thread about a HP Ink level component now, which seems to handle this printer (and others). I actually use that now - as it simplifies my config.

At the end of the day - it’s personal preference.

Regards,
James.

1 Like

@jg.balcombe would you mind share what you using ?

Hi, sure - i’m using this component found here:

HP Printer component page

When I incorporated this I didn’t get the ink drop above the percent like was shown earlier in this thread. What makes that show or not? Do you have to define the icon on the entity itself?

With the newest bar-card you’ll need to update your lovelace card for the ink levels like so:

direction: up
entities:
  - color: MediumTurquoise
    entity: sensor.ink_cyan
  - color: MediumOrchid
    entity: sensor.ink_magenta
  - color: Gold
    entity: sensor.ink_yellow
  - color: Black
    entity: sensor.ink_black
  - color: Black
    entity: sensor.ink_photoblack
height: 200px
positions:
  icon: inside
  title: outside
max: 100
min: 0
padding: 2px
target: 20
type: 'custom:bar-card'
unit_of_measurement: '%'
stack: horizontal
title: Canon MX920 Printer Ink
style: |-
  bar-card-title {
    text-shadow: 1px 1px 5px black;
  }
  bar-card-value {
    text-shadow: 1px 1px 5px black;
  } 

Any reason my card looked like the above but now suddenly looks like this without changes?

Sorry but no idea really :frowning:
Maybe a ha update broke one of the custom cards? Check for updates for the cards

Read my post for the updated format.

Crap. I had it all tweaked the way I wanted and then put one wrong character in for one of my positions values and all my cards vanished. If I refresh the screen I see the cards flash and go away. I’m not using the raw editor.

Note on top of that any other card I create on that page now vanishes as well. If I refresh again I can see it’s there and then goes away.

I’d put money it’s the bar card. Have these everytime I refresh the page:

2020-04-05 20:40:32 ERROR (MainThread) [frontend.js.latest.202003181] <server>:8123/hacsfiles/bar-card/bar-card.js:757:60 Uncaught TypeError: Cannot set property 'textContent' of null

Also for reference without getting into a video. Load the page:

Then while the page is refreshing but not done loading yet

Then when loaded

Use the Raw editor and scroll down to the error and fix it or remove the changes you made. Then save it, should bring everything back.

Yeah but then once you’ve gone to that raw editor that’s your path going forward no? I did fix it but that was to delete the tab and since I document what I do I had it all in a Word document.

No it is not.

Whatever you’re comfortable with :wink:

The colors are gone with 3.0.6? I performed an Empty Cache and Hard Reload after the update and now my bars are all green? Anyone else seeing this?
Colors are defined per bar as per documentation and as shown in the examples shown in the thread.

command_line sensor is a great idea!!

What if I need to login into a website? I need to use it for my netro sprinkler @nalipaz

https://netrohome.com/login.html?source=WebUI

@jg.balcombe lcombe

Works fine here colors and all:

I checked this morning again after restarting my PC, the colors are back! Very strange…