Custom Component: Hubitat

LOL that would be GREAT!

I plan to do that, but I still need to iron out a couple of bugs and add unit tests. I have an update to the dyson integration I want to open a PR for, too, as soon as I update the unit tests.

4 Likes

So, for the 5th time since I started this journey, my zwave setup has been trashed by a reboot.
Looks like I’ll be doing the whole HE for z-wave trick, hope it works. :nauseated_face: Not looking forward to moving all my devices, but thank the Lord for your work on this @jason0x43, else I’d have to leave HA.

1 Like

Has any of you tried zwave2mqtt? Or are the z-wave problems not related to the integration but just the OS? Sorry if this has already been mentioned here before, I didn’t read the whole thread.

Constantly all of my Z-Wave nodes would go to Dead upon HA restart, and never recover.

I had the same issue with ZWave2MQTT, I’d make some progress and then suddenly all my nodes would go to Dead.
Like @omayhemo I threw the towel in, although I did only after the 3rd time it happened.
I have less patience for such things apparently…

Ya, maybe not. I’m just lazy. :laughing:

That’s good to know, I was considering going that route.

I’m about to purchase some Inovelli switches to replace some Zooz switches which require a reset at the breaker every few days and is a huge PITA. But before I do I wanted to ask if anyone here is using them and if this integration will support some of the features such as LED notification colors, power monitoring, and scenes.

I also finally moved all of my automations to HA in Node Red so it’s been nice not having to rely on HE for anything besides being a nice radio.

Sorry @keithcroshaw didn’t mean to reply to you.

1 Like

Are the Inovelli Central Scene class? I ask because of the LEDs you mentioned. I have Homeseer, whichis Central Scene, and OpenZwave doesn’t play very nice with them.

The integration currently supports a set of common device types, but more can certainly be added.

As far as more device-specific features go, like LED notification colors and scenes, it depends on what capabilities Hubitat exposes through the Maker API.

You should contact Zooz or thesmartesthouse.com (likely where you bought them?) and report the issue. They are good about fixing or replacing which would save you some money.

It looks like they are central scene: [HOW-TO] Hubitat: Setting Up "Scenes" in Rule Machine - Sorting Category - Inovelli Community

So from the capabilities list it looks like everything should be supported by Hubitat besides maybe the scenes, correct? If so, I can deal with that. I might just go ahead and get the switches and let you know how it goes.

I actually did contact them about the issue and after checking my wiring and even replacing one of the switches they have no idea why they won’t work properly. Fortunately they finally offered to give me a full refund after all the troubleshooting.

1 Like

I’m not sure about the LED, either, but power metering and switch control will work out-of-the-box.

Devices can provide commands and capabilities that aren’t on that list (with custom drivers), and Hubitat will (in my limited experience) also expose those over the Maker API. As long as the Maker API makes a feature available, the integration can work with it, although it may not yet.

1 Like

@jason0x43 you are a legend. just wanted to thank you for all of your contributions to so many integrations across various devices and services over the years. :salute:

3 Likes

Sorry, getting back on the z-wave issue… Has anyone tried to use a separate RPI with only zwave2mqtt on it? So when HA restarts it doesn’t restart z-wave or zwave2mqtt.

Yes. zwave2mqtt is a great project and is coming along nicely but in eval it’s not prime time yet. It doesn’t support a lot of devices just yet and some have reported some stability issues with it. It didn’t support a lot of the devices I tried so I didn’t continue and decided to come back and look at it later.

There’s also an integration with z-way as a external z-wave system. I have not tried this integration yet.

There’s a side project going on from cgarwood and a couple others called qt-openzwave. It’s available on HACS I believe. It’s kinda like an official mqtt implementation. Looks promising, but I think he had a new baby late last year that’s delayed the project substantially.

Isn’t qt-openzwave going to become the back end for HA’s built-in zwave component?

1 Like

Yes, replacing the current z-wave stuff.

1 Like

Yes, I use the Inovelli switches, and I get power monitoring all the way through Hubitat to HA, and I trigger LED notifications in many colors. I don’t use scenes though. Otherwise, works great.

The LED notifications all show up as switches in Hubitat, and you just turn them on from HA. Turning on one color shuts off the other colors, and so on. Let me know if you have any trouble.

Specifically, I use the Inovelli Red Series Switch.

1 Like