Custom Component: Hubitat

To add new devices, first ensure they’ve been exposed through the Maker API.

Next, open the integration options in Configuration -> Integrations. Step through the options (there are multiple screens). When it’s finished, the integration will refresh the device list, adding any newly found devices.

Alternatively, restart HA.

Yeah, I don’t know what is going on. When I first installed it, entered the data, and things came up just fine. I had created a separate instance of Maker API to use with this and I only had 2 devices. When that all looked good, I added a couple devices to Maker. And they never showed up. I uninstalled your integration, re-installed, still nothing. So not sure what is going on. In the process of re-booting HA, but something seems weird about that. Taking forever.

Tired of messing with it today. Maybe tomorrow. I’m just playing around with things right now trying to learn the HA. So nothing critical.

Thanks for the help.

This is really, really strange.

The first time I added this in it worked just fine. Saw the devices, etc. But now I can’t get it to work at all.

I had a snapshot of my system before I did any of this, so restored that to have a clean starting point. I also deleted the HE Maker app and put that back in to have a clean start there.

In HA, I copied the custom_components stuff back in. Went to integrations and added in Hubitat. Configured it, etc. But still no devices show up. In Maker the Post URL shows up which you app had to have added.

So don’t have a clue as to what is going on.

A good initial debugging step is to enable debug logging for the integration, restart HA, and see what the logs show.

I just created a clean install of HA and installed HACS, and the Hubitat integration is in the list, so that seems to be working. (It didn’t show up for me when I first checked because I already have it installed, and HACS doesn’t show integrations in the list if you’ve already added them.) Note that it HACS takes a while (a few minutes) after you initially install it for the list of available integrations to be fully populated.

I guess third time the charm. I reloaded my basic snapshot. Copied files over again. Deleted the Maker instance in HE. Created new Maker with a couple devices. Then loaded Hubitat integration on HA. Put in data and this time it came right up. Saw the devices, etc. Added a couple devices in Maker and again they showed up in HA. So still puzzled what was going on.

A couple things I did different this time. In Maker I enabled both local and cloud access. Before I only had local enabled. But can’t see why that would make a difference.

The other thing I did. Previously when I configured Maker I hit done which exited the maker app. Then I re-opened the app to get the key, etc. But didn’t close it back up. This time I re-closed it before doing the HA stuff. So don’t know if it being open had anything to do with it or not.

I think something is going on with my system anyway. When I do a restart or reload or reboot I can’t seem to re-connect to the unit. I wait quite a while but it never connects in my browser. I check my router and it is connected, so I know it’s online. If I power the PI down and back up then all is ok. So not sure what is going on with that. A problem to solve another time.

Appreciate all the help. Just wish I knew what I was doing wrong before.

v0.6.5 is out. The main change is a new send_command service for sending arbitrary commands, like refresh or configure, to Hubitat devices.

3 Likes

when i turn on a switch or light it flips back to the off state. Is this a known issue?

1 Like

That typically means that there’s a communication issue between Hubitat and HA. When you flip a switch in HA, it visually toggles the switch and sends a command to Hubitat. Then it waits for a second or two to hear back from Hubitat; if it doesn’t receive any notification that the switch was toggled, HA visually flips the switch back to its original setting.

The first thing to check is the POST URL in the Maker API instance. If you open the Maker API instance in Hubitat, the POST URL must be something that Hubitat can use to reach HA.

If the URL looks reasonable, then you can try enabling debug logging for the Hubitat integration in HA. Toggle a switch and see what kind events come back from Hubitat.

Thanks that was it. I’d transferred from a docker instance to OS on the Pi and I still had the old local IP in this field.

I just feel like I need to post here. I miss you guys.
Z-Wave JS is pretty sweet.
I finally don’t want to buy another Hubitat.

This is totally OT but I feel like the other ZWave JS topics are too spicy.
Anybody know how to Z-Wave heal with the add-on?
There’s no Web-UI for the add-on that I see.
Config is done through the integration panel.
There’s no heal button that I can find.

Miss you guys, we’re all lost in the full HA ocean now.

2 Likes

I’m really curious about this integration myself but I migrated my final zwave device a few weeks before they release this. Switched over to a Conbee2 so I can’t even add a zwave device just to play around.

tldr - I’m am absolutely no help to you :rofl:

2 Likes

In order to do network operations, you’ll need to install zwavejs2mqtt. When you do, you’ll want to turn mqtt and home-assistant discovery OFF (if you are already running mqtt, of course). You’ll also want to go into the config and add the path to your z-wave adapter. You can run both in tandem.

I migrated over to it completely as it does have a frontend and runs in a simple nodejs process (managed with pm2). Super fast and I don’t have to have anything running in HA besides the MQTT integration.

I switched to the Conbee2 myself, but I’m still using my Nortek stick as my z-wave radio for now as the Zigbee radio in it died, hence having to get a Conbee2. :frowning: I’m slowly moving everything over to zigbee2mqtt and off of Hubitat (yet again).

2 Likes

Didn’t know you went back to the Green side lol.
I’ve been very happy with ZHA…on both the Nortek and now the Conbee2.

1 Like

You know me… I can’t ever settle with “well enough” lol

ZHA was good, but zigbee2mqtt is absolutely fantastic. I tried having all my Zigbee devices on the Hubitat for awhile, but I was killing Maker API and still had slow downs on the hub… So yeah, I was kind of forced to either get another Nortek stick or a Conbee2. So far, I’m really enjoying the Conbee2 and figuring out how to properly do my pairings has been a bit of a pain so far (albeit fun).

So zwavejs is really that good?
What are you guys using for sticks? Is there a solid 700 series stick out there yet?
My zwave has been absolutely flawless on hubitat. Like 0 issues. But I do like to tinker, and before I upgrade to a C7 hub I wouldn’t mind finding a 700 stick and seeing what else is out there.

Is anybody using Inovelli switches/dimmers on there? Do you know if you can manipulate the default led colour, I prefer that route over using the notifications.

Everything’s just settled in, I’m not touching it lol.
How silly there’s no button.
I imagine they’ll add one…
edit: also I’m quite anti-mqtt at the moment as well, so that’s a no dawg.

Aeotec Stick Gen5

Those two quotes are rarely seen together

4 Likes

That’s why I said to turn off MQTT. Basically, you want the zwavejs2mqtt web interface to manage the network without all the other “fluff”. Personally, I actually prefer the zjs2m web interface over the built-in tools, but I’m weird like that. :wink: Also, out of curiosity, why anti-mqtt?

From Z-Wave - Home Assistant

Configuration of Z-Wave nodes and/or configuration with the Home Assistant UI is currently not yet implemented. You will need to use another tool, such as zwavejs2mqtt, to manage device configuration.

It’s stupid, but if you want to be able to manage your z-wave mesh, that’s what is needed. I haven’t seen a timeline on when they are going to add network management features, but given how messed up z-wave management has been in HA in the past, I’m not holding my breath that it’ll get implemented anytime soon and network heals are pretty much a required feature.

To be fair, both the C5 and C7 both have fantastic radios in them. Honestly, if I could just rip the radios out and solder them onto a rPi or something, I’d be a happy camper.