Custom Component: Hubitat

:laughing:

I recently moved all my devices from a C3 to a C7. I came close to tossing the Hubitat and plugging the old Nortek stick into my Pi to see how far that would get me. I also considered throwing out all my Zwave devices and going Zigbee-only. It was…painful.

1 Like

I left HE for HA. Until ZwaveJS2MQTT came about I was regretting that decision of leaving. But now, I couldn’t be happier. Everything on HA and I have a C3 and C4 collecting dust.

I didn’t think that version would work without it.

Can I switch without re-adding my devices?

It just seems very messy to me.
I originally needed it for Tasmota, Then Auto-Discovery came out but that kind of messed up my naming structure.
There were all sorts of relics in the Mosquito broker I couldn’t get rid of or I was afraid of getting rid of.

ESPHome is so much cleaner.
You define things in the device, there’s no need for a middle-man.
The MQTT broker just adds complication to my life and I’m trying to eliminate as many complicated things as possible.
Hence why I’m replacing my dimmers with TuyaConvertable dimmers and ridding myself of Z-Wave’s mess.

Zigbee’s fine but the simplicity and flexibility of ESPHome is my sweet spot.
It’d be nice if they added a template system like Tasmota and built in a repo of templates.
That’d be my only extra wish for it.

Yup: Turn on “Disable MQTT Gateway” and turn off “MQTT Discovery” (under the HomeAssistant header).

You’re technically not switching, just using it as a web frontend. However, yes, you can switch without having to readd devices. When I switched from the internal HA Z-wave to zjs2m, it kept all my existing devices, which was REALLY nice.

As for anti-mqtt, I TOTALLY get that.

1 Like

Tell me more…

I’ll try that this weekend then…
What’s another switchover at this point.

1 Like

So I’ve been trying to standardize with these:
https://amazon.com/dp/B07PLCMR71/
I’ve been having some availability issues.
There’s an identical Treatlife model but it has a different Tuya firmware version that blocks TuyaConvert so I had to return it.

You can look up TuyaConvert, it’s pretty amazing.
It just emulates the factories firmware updating default network and an older exploit allowed it to shoehorn in Tasmota firmware instead.
From their I make a ESPHome firmware and upload that to the Tasmota’s firmware update page.

It is all a little complicated, which contradicts what I said before but I’ve kind of streamlined the process with my useless Raspberry Pi, so to me it’s easy.
If I can’t get TuyaConvert to work on the product I just return it, seems mean but they’re big boy shell companies selling consumer data so I don’t feel that bad about it.

Just finally figured out why I couldn’t get my keypad to work as the Alarm Panel card device.

I had the encrypted codes enabled on the keypad in Hubitat and Home Assistant didn’t seem to like not being able to read the codes the Alarm_Panel object for the keypad in Home Assistant showed as a dead object although all other components of the keypad (temp, battery, motion, …) showed fine.

As soon as I turned off the encrypted code option in the keypad device in Hubitat it worked great in Home Assistant’s Alarm Panel card.

Maybe this has been covered already, but does this custom component pass HSM to HA? It doesn’t seem to work for me. I have keypads which show up in HA and these could be used, but curious to know about HSM as a whole. Would be cool if this showed up as an alarm entity in HA.

The support library used by the integration supports HSM state, but the integration itself doesn’t yet.

So far as I know, HSM support through the maker API is pretty basic; you can simply see and update the current mode. My initial plan for support was just to add the HSM state as a sensor and provide a service to update it (and/or an input_select).

Thanks. Another question. If within Maker API, I decide not to expose a device to HA, it stays within the HA integration. How can it be deleted from HA without removing the integration?

Open the integration’s options and run through the options flow. The second step will allow you to remove devices.

1 Like

Wow, great. Didn’t know this ability existed. Thanks!

Would also be nice to have mode exposed from HE to HA as an input selector.

Jason, you sir are my hero!
I was annoyed by the certain limitations of Hubitat but I already connected it to my z-wave network. Instead of starting over with HA and z-wave dongle, I can now use Hubitat as a dongle. :slight_smile:
LMK if you have a beer fund or something, I’d like to support your efforts.

1 Like

I run both systems also. There are things HA does better as well as some things are done better in Hubitat. I also run Node red on a Truenas jail so I can have automatons using both platforms.

I’m trying to get this set up to use HA for dashboards. I got HA running in a Docker container, got HACS installed, got it to install the Hubitat integration, but when I go back to Configuration -> Integrations and try to add one, Hubitat doesn’t show up in the list. Yes, I’ve restarted HA (a couple times) and re-installed this into HACS. Any ideas on what I’m doing wrong?

If you look at the HACS menu item, do you see HUBITAT as shown below?

Then, go to CONFIGURATION -> Integrations, Click +Add Integration, then type “Hubitat” into the search at the top. That should allow you to add the integration.

A couple people have had the issue where Hubitat doesn’t show up in the integrations list after installing through HACS. One thing that seems to work is to restart the entire system, not just the HA container. Like, if you were running on a Pi, restart the host. I’m not sure why that helps, but it’s something to try.

1 Like

Yes, that’s what I did and it doesn’t show up.