[Custom Component] Tapo: Cameras Control

is it by chance passing through ffmpeg for frame generation?
(just because i also have ffmpeg problems with foscams’ rtsp streams)

Same for me i succesfully added C211 - firmware 1.3.7 - with success today. :+1:

1 Like

@JurajNyiri In the github it says we should block internet access to the camera, but i have noticed that when I block internet access my camera (TC70) starts rebooting. Any work around?

PS: any news about the new API from Tapo?

I think i can confirm this! When i bought the last Tapo Camera (C100) i allowed the free trial period of the cloud option, and everything worked until i put de SD card on.

Then, the stream became unavaible and i thought it was because of the new firmware.
But no. I cancelled the Cloud option and now i have the 2 options ok - Recording to SD card and Streaming (in HD).

And this can be explained by the “only 2 channels” available! Good Call!

2 Likes

Does anyone know if the C402 Tapo Cameras work with HA? I’ve been having problems getting mine to even been seen by my HA setup. Tried through HCAS and through the normal means and in both cases it errors out. It is adding a port in during the attempted connection setup even though I’m just putting in the IP. Having it try to discover doesn’t work. I picked up one of these cameras to test out and see if they would be worth going with over some others but so far no good.

Sorry but above “description” doesn’t make much sense, Please provide a detailed description( procedure), and logfiles etc. ( i.e screen-shots of where thing goes wrong/bad )

Also read below , where you get tips upon howto proceed
How to help us help you - or How to ask a good question.

PS: Have to tried the C402 RTSP-Stream in the “Generic Camera” Integration ?

1 Like

I noticed there was a HACs update today for tapo camera control. Does anyone know if it fixed the issue of current camera firmware not properly allowing the integration to be added?

No, unfortunately it was not. It was an update to the documentaion of the current workarounds. HomeAssistant-Tapo-Control/add_camera_with_new_firmware.md at 0433ab6a25b69f712452384f6fb54f8aae93933a · JurajNyiri/HomeAssistant-Tapo-Control · GitHub

Oops, oh that update (see next post).

Each update has information on what it changes. I suggest reading through it, sometimes it contains breaking changes.

I used the procedure to block internet connectivity with MAC address filtering, re-added the camera and the integration works like a charm. I can’t believe how many entities are exposed and how much control there is. Great work.

1 Like

I spoke too soon. The camera is becoming unavailable in Home Assistant. I’m also now getting this error after unplugging and re-starting (not reset) the camera:

Temporary Suspension: Try again in 1566 seconds

I’ve blocked communication with MAC filtering and gone through the process as detailed in threads above. It worked for a while, and after the rebooting of the camera, I can actually see the video in the Frigate card. Yet, I’m being told the integration needs reconfiguring due to the temporary suspension.

In addition, while the device still shows as active in Settings → Devices, if I try to do anything from the device page, I get the same error about a temporary suspension.

I’m wondering, does something screw up if I then use the app, and in the app, should the setting for Advanced → Camera Account be on or off once you’ve gone through the reset procedure?

It probably received a cloud issued token through the app. Make sure you properly block the camera and possibly do not use the official app, you might need to delete camera, wait that time, follow the process again and try again, or downgrade fw.

I was trying to follow the thread for downgrading, but was a bit confused about which was for the 225. Can you point me in the right direction?

I would suggest using the internet block method first, but if you want firmware, just find the one for C225 and your HW version of camera following the guide.

Read the guide. Our posts must have crossed. I see these three files, not sure what I should be downloading:

firmware/Tapo_C225v1_en_1.0.16_Build_230111_Rel.35908n__1677032558495.bin.rollback
firmware/Tapo_C225v1_en_1.0.16_Build_230111_Rel.35908n__1677032611288.bin.rollback
firmware/Tapo_C225v1_en_1.0.16_Build_230111_Rel.35908n__1677032677512.bin.rollback

Choose the one ending with .bin, lower than build 230921, matching your camera hw version. There are multiple hw versions.

Assuming you have c225 v1, this or this for example might work.

Try at your own risk of course.

1 Like

Thanks for all the info. I downloaded the correct one, but got stuck there as I don’t have a Windows machine to run diskpart. I will try doing another factory reset.

I had to reset twice for it to stick, also second time I had the app ready to go as soon as the reset took hold.

I have both downgraded firmware and blocked the DNS queries. And it worked yesterday. And today, I get this:
tapo1

So I got to re-authenticate, and I get this which is OK:
tapo2

But then get this, which obviously is not OK:
tapo3

And yes, I’ve been VERY careful to use the exact same password both for the cloud and in the camera account settings. And my email address has no caps.

Compounding my confusion, when I did the downgrade yesterday thanks to assistance here, it worked. I changed the setting in the app to not auto-update, that was the first thing I did.

And then shortly after downgrading the firmware, an update message came up in HA asking me to update Tapo. Not sure if that was for the integration or new firmware, but all of a sudden, my camera started to update despite the fact I had set it not to. Does HA update the firmware?

Getting very frustrated to the point I’m thinking of replacing the TAPO camera with a Reolink. There seem (currently) to be no problem with those.

It updates the camera firmware when you click on it and click update. It shows you it’s a firmware upgrade, and the version and you can choose to skip.

You can follow GitHub - JurajNyiri/HomeAssistant-Tapo-Control: Control for Tapo cameras as a Home Assistant component